TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Disney resort did you visit first? FL or CA?

Which US Disney resort did you visit first? (CA & FL residents - DO NOT VOTE in this poll!)  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Which US Disney resort did you visit first? (CA & FL residents - DO NOT VOTE in this poll!)

• Walt Disney World
    • Disneyland
    • I have only been to Walt Disney World
    • I have only been to Disneyland

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My aunt lives in California so I went to Disneyland first.

Disneyland is a really good park. I think that Disneyland has a better Space Mountain, Pirates, and Astro-Blasters, but due to it's historical significance, I find that the Matterhorn is truly the best ride in Disneyland. I would also say that Indy is much better than Dinosaur. I do think that WDW has a better Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain.

Overall, I think DCA really does need this renovation. However, California Screamin' is so much better than that stupid Vekoma. GRR is much better than Kali River and Soarin' is better at DCA. I do think that EE is the best ride ever from Disney. I honestly think that it is half and have for me, but if I had to choose I would go to WDW because there is just more to do there.

I went to Disney World first, but I really don't remember that much of it. Having lived in SoCal for nine years and returning to WDW in that time frame, I can safely say that I do prefer Disneyland to Magic Kingdom as it has some of the more unique rides (and continues this with the revival of the subs), though I will say that WDW has the better supplimentary parks. So for resorts, I prefer WDW as an overall experience. For the flagship park, I prefer Disneyland as it has a more homely feel (I like the smaller castle and, well, smaller everything thematically) and it has a better selection of rides.

I first went to wdw when I was 9 months old, i think. Obviously I don't remember any of it, though. I've only been to Disneyland twice, the last time being in 1997, but I'm finally going back next week. WDW was always the choice for my family since it was close enough to drive to.

I have only been to WDW. The first trip was probably 1979. I remember they were building Big Thunder Mountain and it opened in 1980. The parents officially made that decision, but the united cousin front had been pushing for it for years!

The entire family on my Mother's side made the trek from VA, NC, and our little family in GA to Orlando. It was really a very big deal at the time. There is no way we would have been able to do the same thing heading to CA.

I am excited about the prospects of a mini TPR trip to CA....that's the best opportunity yet for me to get to see DL!!

I've only been to WDW. The first time I went was in the fall of 1993 with my family. My parents had wanted to take us to Florida for years and that was the best time to go. Since we lived in Southern Ontario in Canada, it was easier than going to California. And well...it still is. And really, after being to Disney World, Disneyland doesn't really interest me...it seems like I would think "oh...seen this before".

Robb - I think you will definitely see an East Coast/West Coast split.

I grew up in New York and first visited Disney in 1972, then returned in 75, 78 and 81. I can't think of any families in my neighborhood that did not drive to Florida at least once in the 1970's for a vacation. Since my first visit was when I was 5, it was my parent's choice.

I never even visted California until I was 30 years old and didn't make it to Disneyland until last year.

I visited Disneyland when I was about 1/2 a year old. My sister was 3 and it was her first time. I think my first ride was the Merry-go-round but whatever. I still remember my first roller coaster...Mattehorn Boobsled.

Since I'm a Cali resident I can't vote...I don't feel special being from So Cal.

Jimmy "I actually can't wait for the DCA to open" Bo

I went to Disneyland back in 1982 for a family trip. Wow, 25 years ago, damn I'm getting old.

However, since I am the one that now gets to pick, it's WDW every time.

Maybe in a couple years I'll venture west again.

Ron "Maybe when DCA improvements are done!" Patton

Disneyland first for me.

I grew up in Las Vegas, so it was most likely a matter of convenience being less than 4 hours from the park. I have pictures of me being there as a baby and a toddler, but I don't really remember any visits before I was three (1986).

The first time I went to Disney World was just in 2003 when I started my WDW College Program. And to this day, I have yet to have a true "Disney Vacation" to WDW...its either been for work or visiting friends.

I went to Disneyland first ... around 1992.

Then WDW in February 2005 and then a week after leaving Orlando, I did DL again (I know! A long time between visits) and then DCA for the first time.

This year DL/DCA in the final week of July. DCA was pretty good second time around but not as good as my maiden visit.

Can't wait to go to Orlando again.

Disneyland first here, back in 1988 on a package deal from Australia. I think for just over a grand got return airfares ( MEL/LAX/NYC/MEL) seven days hotel at the Disneyland hotel and seven days entry into the park.

Walt Disney World in 1994, stayed at Dixie Landings for 9 nights with park tickets for around $350 per person. Disney ended up offering us extra nights and park tickets for $50 dollars per night...

Robb - I think you will definitely see an East Coast/West Coast split.

That is what seams to be the case.

Being from New England (East Coast for those with no clue) I have only been to WDW and have been numerous times.

Noone here* goes over to Cali. It's farther and more expensive to get to.

*obviously some people have been

I've only ever been to WDW. First time was in October 91' when I was 4. Again, agreeing with some of the others here, I think it was a) because it was on the East coast which made the journey as short as possible and probably cheaper! B) I think Orlando has more to offer for a 2 week holiday without having to do too much travelling.

My consequent visits have all been roughly due to these reasons. The second visit was in 98', my sister was only 2 then, so again we did not want to travel to far with a 2 year old. The 3rd visit was in 2004 and was because we were going to New York and decided to extend our journey and my 4th visit was when I worked there and that programme isnt offered in DL!

I do plan to visit Disneyland in 09' and WDW again next year.

I'm from the UK, and I visited both the American Disney Resorts back in 2006.

But it was Walt Disney World that came first in March. I'd been planning to go there for years because I never got the chance to go when I was growing up.

Because it was my first ever trip to the US, Florida was a good place to start, because of what else was around it. With the Universal Resort, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens Tampa, etc. all around.

I went to California in November that same year and I thought that California Adventure was the weakest of all the US Disney parks (at the time I did prefer it over Walt-Disney Studios in Paris). But I will be visiting both resorts again sometime in the future, and I'll be interested to see what has been done with DCA next time around.

I'm voting because I lived at Texas and my grandparents took me to Disneyland so I really had no choice.

2 years later when I was in high school, my band made the trip from Texas to DisneyWorld for spring break and to march in the parade.

I was pretty much hooked on WDW after that.

I live in Texas and my first Disney park was Disneyland. My friend and I flew out to visit her Grandparents in CA.

When my husband and I live in TN, we went to WDW, but Florida is within driving distance of Tennessee, whereas California is not.

I think the whole WDW vacation idea is a bit overwhelming. Doing a 7 day Disney vacation is a bit of a "keeping up with the Jones" type of thing to do around here. If I just wanted to spend a few days in a Disney park, I'd just as soon go to DL, so I wouldn't feel like I 'had' to see everything.

My kids have already been to WDW, and we plan to return, but we will also make a point of taking them to DL at some point.

I'm 21 years old. I've never even been to Disneyland PARK but did visit DCA last year - several years after I had been to WDW for the first time (1992) and I had been to WDW twice that year already.

I voted for WDW first, and as Jahan damn well knows, WDW > Disneyland

I didn't vote since I never went to any of them, but, I plan some day to do so, and i'll obviously go before to Florida, simply because there's a lot of insanely great looking parks aroundWDW, and this added up to Disney, makes for it. California would more be a much bigger trip, cause it would have to include Las Vegas, a lot of california parks (legoland area exepted), sightseeing, and a lot of driving

California trip needs lots of time and money, Florida is more condensed and there's much less sightseeing. Plus airfares are cheaper for Florida than for California from Europe!

However I very well may go to California first for some random non park related reason, and thus would go to Anaheim first. But as far as parks only are concerned, Florida appears to be a better deal.

So yeah, for me the first factor of choice is the other parks that surround the disney complex.

Like most Brits, WDW was my first Disney experience, back in 2000.

Didn't get to the West Coast version until 2005 and that was on my 2nd visit to LA. Few Brits at that one if any the time I went.

I only did DCA which I actually rather enjoyed more than the parks in Florida, possibly because it's the least 'Disney' like Disney Park - but then isn't that supposed to be the problem.

First park visited was Disneyland, at Easter 1963. I was ten. My mom took me.

First time to WDW, spring 1987. Only the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT were open, back then. My lover took me.