TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Caught a New Year's Eve screening of Les Mis last night, different to what I had expected but overall I liked it. Perhaps a story that works better on the stage than on screen but they did an excellent job. The cinematography was superb, with an intriguing use of camera techniques during certain songs. I thought that having the actors sing live on set worked well, even if the final result wasn't as perfect as a studio recording might have been.

Next up is Jack Reacher on Friday - expectations are very, very low for this one...

Django Unchained - Saw the movie today, I absolutely loved it! I find it to be another Quentin Tarantino classic. The acting was great, the action (of course) was outstanding, and it had plenty of funny moments and zingers. I think anyone who enjoyed Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill are going to love this movie.

How was Jamie Foxx in the film? I've heard great things about Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio (And not Tarantino) but nothing about Jamie.

I went to see Les Mis on Friday. It was great, but Russel Crowe really cannot sing. Whomever cast him should be shot, or worse yet forced to listen to him sing for days straight.

While Crowe is certainly the weakest of all the actors cast, I do think its the strength of everyone else that made me not hate him as much as I could. I do wish they would cast someone stronger for Javert, though.

Just saw Les Mis the other day and thought the same thing. I definitely thought he had the weakest voice, but he played the character well, and the entire movie was just so incredibly good that it more than made up for it. I honestly didn't think I'd like the movie as much as I did. It was one of those movies that everyone was way too positive about, so I figured it was either going to be amazing, or just so-so. I totally thought it was amazing. The movie really helped remind me of things I had forgotten. Really a great movie!

I just saw Django Unchained and liked it overall--Tarantino did a good job looking at the pre-Civil War South by using the feel and sound of the spaghetti westerns of the 1960s and 1970s. Although this is definitely an exploitation picture, it's one of the few Hollywood movies that looks at slavery head on without bothering with Gone with the Wind style southern gentility; in fact, it's a pretty effective satire of it. That being said, I had a little trouble buying some parts of the movie's big finish, even when measuring by spaghetti western standards. Perfect casting and music, though--especially Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, and Leonardo DiCaprio (very effective as a plantation owner whose own bad teeth show that he's rotting from the inside out).

I saw two movies this weekend...

This Is 40 - I thought this movie was hilarious and well done. For me it was none stop laughs because I believe this is how a lot of families across the world act every day. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann had great chemistry and were pretty believable to me. For me the funniest scene was when Paul Rudd has his legs up in the air - I will leave it at that for anyone who has not seen it.

Texas Chainsaw (I left the 3D off because I saw it in 2D - I do not like 3D movies at all) - Now, I have never seen the original and I knew right off the bat the opening was from the original because of images I have seen. I loved how this one literally picked up from where the first one left off. What they did with the story line was not too far fetched at all and was very believable to me. The death scenes with gruesome which I loved and the killings did not seem too fake. The acting was OK. I could have did without Trey Songs trying to be a actor but the lead character was well played and I love how girls in horror movies are getting somewhat smarter. The same guys behind the Saw series are behind this and have signed on for up to 6 movies if they keep making money. They left the end WIDE open for a another. I am excited to see how the Jed and his cousin act in the next one...

Also they showed the coming attraction for The Last Exorcism 2 - it looks pretty good!

So I was going back through the thread to read everyone's opinions on several things I finally caught up with this past week when I found this gem...

I know I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY late on this but I saw The Replacements yesterday and thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Keanu Reeves is great and it's just overall a great movie. 9.5/10

Sir, you pretty must just lost any credibility regarding, well, pretty much anything.

Anyway..

The Raven - Being a Poe fan, I kind of liked where they went with this story, even with all the poetic license used.

The Amazing Spider-Man - It's Spider-Man....again. He does spider things....again. Kirsten Dunst in the rain was better.

The Dark Knight Rises - As close to flawless as a superhero movie can get.

ParaNorman - I wasn't expecting much whenever I was watching. I was surprised. It was a very spooky animated movie that had great animation. The story was somewhat confusing at times, but it was overall easy to follow. There was tons of good humor between all of the characters. Overall, pretty good animated movie. I recommend seeing it. 8/10

I saw The Guilt Trip last week while on a ski trip to Utah. It was entertaining and better than I expected it to be, but it's still a fairly generic comedy movie. I'd say it's worthy of a DVD rental and was certainly better than sitting in a hotel room all night, but I wouldn't pay to see it in a theater unless you really have nothing better to do (we were going to see This is 40, but didn't want to wait around for an hour due to a later start time).

Gonna Post a Review of a few movies I saw:

Looper: Brilliant, very awesome casting especially with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Emily Blunt. You do get lost a few times throughout the film but eventually manage to go "OH! So that's what that scene meant!" Very amazing and brilliant, definitely makes one of my favorite movies of all time. 10/10

The Hobbit: LOVED IT, but I have not read the book sadly. I felt some parts weren't necessary for the film, especially with them stretching it out a bot too long so that it can be three films. But still awesome film and would recommend it to anyone 9.5/10

Django Unchained: AWESOME FILM, Terrentino at his best! Really loved the acting and storyline so yeah, go see it! 9/10

Wow, never posted my review of Django.

Along with The Hobbit, it's my favorite movie of 2012 (still haven't seen a lot though). As others have said, I found it to not shy away from the harshness of slavery like so many other films tend to do while still being satire and having that Tarantino feel. There was at least one scene that was incredibly hard to watch not because it was so over the top, but because it was probably a pretty damn accurate depiction of a slave getting whipped.

The Friday night movie has become a routine of late - tonight's was Gangster Squad. I really enjoyed this one, it was gritty enough without taking itself too seriously. Not quite LA Confidential but definitely more accessible (in a good way). Witty, clever dialogue and some great action setpieces to boot. Definitely recommend.

Oh...my...God.....Jurassic Park 4 has been confirmed! It's coming out June 13, 2014. It's a bit early to speculate, but I hope it's a lot more like the first movie (one of my favorites of all time) and a lot less like the third movie (one of my least favorite movies).

Had that kid not been in it, it would have been decent. The Lost World was garbage too. Sure hope this one comes close to the first one's greatness.

I caught Les Miserables last night, and liked it overall. I agree with others that Russell Crowe was a poor choice for Javert due to his very weak singing (I've liked him in other movies), but the rest of the cast is pretty good (particularly Sasha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter).

^Agree about Russell Crowe. Still, I'd prefer to see an actor who can't sing than a singer who can't act.

Paranorman has just made it's way into cinemas here, definitely a case of better late than never. I was really impressed with this one, went in expecting a stock-standard kiddie flick and instead got a fantastically animated with great storytelling. It might be old school but stop-motion once again shows that it can kick CGI's butt any day of the week. Definitely aiming for a narrower audience than, say, Madagascar 3 or Brave, but it works! And the zombies are hilarious.

I've been pretty obsessed with Pitch Perfect recently! Such a fantastic movie! =D

I just bought Pitch Perfect Saturday. Such a funny well written movie.

I saw Silver Linings Playbook and I will say I see why both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are getting so much praise. They both did excellent job in their roles. Also the movie was well acted all around and the script was well written.

What are some of your Least/Most anticipated movies of 2013?

Two of my LEAST anticipated are The Lone Ranger and Oz. Both look horrid to me even though I know at least Oz will make a gazillion dollars.

As for my Most I have to go with The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Warm Bodies, Jurassic Park 3D, Evil Dead, Kick Ass 2, Man of Steel, Despicable Me 2, Pacific Rim, Thor 2, Hunger Games 2, Saving Mr. Banks.