TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite Stand Up coaster?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Between King Cobra, Vortex (Carowinds), and Mantis....

Mantis dominates. I love this coaster. Great forces in the front, along with the perfect setting over half water half land.

Vortex is second. It's a small little stand up, but the corkscrew packs a punch. Fun ride!

King Cobra is last. It's a Togo....headbanging, from what I rememberd on the helix and trick track.

Is Riddlers still the tallest and fastest standup coaster in the world.

Yes it is. For more than 9 years now.

Because why stand up? It is just a gimmick and really doesn't add fun to the ride.

Gimmick or not, I still think there are benefits of riding in a standing position. It's a more vunerable feeling position than sitting down and accentuates all the forces where they are positive or negative. (For those who've experienced airtime on a stand-up, you know what I'm talking about!)

Imagine if these rides were made floorless sitdowns that would make them all more enjoyable in my opinion.

They'd be less enjoyable. Stand-ups were designed around a different heartline than other looping coasters because of the standing position -- so most elements are drawn out longer or modified slightly to accomodate for the higher heartline. Going from a stand-up refitted with regular sit-down type trains would change the ride for the worse (less intense, much more boring).

Since I've only been on Mantis, I'm going to have to say...Mantis! (you would have never guessed, right )

Stand-ups are fun. You just need to learn how to ride them correctly.

I don't understand why people don't just love these rides. I've loved every one I've been on, and I think they are more exciting then floorless coasters(Griff/Shi aside). I think they are lost art *cough*suspended*cough*, and I never though it would have ended with Scorcher. Each one was fantastic for its own reasons.

BTW, am I the only one who's ridden PGA's Vortex? It's like a shorter, overly-contorted version of Scorcher. Seeing as it's my first stand-up, It has some sentimental value.

I've only been on 4 Stand-up coasters. But I will rank them.

1. Mantis

2. Iron Wolf

3. Chang

4. King Kobra

It's obvious why King Kobra is number 4. Why would somebody make a head rest that is metal?

Anyway, I love how forceful stand-up coasters can be. The inversions are allright, but what really makes a stand-up work in my opinion is the turns and twists. This is the reason why I really like Mantis and Iron Wolf. I think it is really cool.

Though I think the only coaster I have ever blacked out on was Iron Wolf. Maybe Shock Wave at SFGAm but I don't remember.

I have been on three Stand Ups

1) Shockwave PKD

2) Shockwave GADV

3) Mantis

Of the three I give the nods to the Shockwave at PKD. I do not mind "Togo Roughness" and felt that the forces applied on the PKD version were much more eventful than those on Mantis and Shockwave(GADV). I really enjoyed the helix at PKD and the bunny hops. I do wish that the bicycle seat were a bit more padded. Hopefully the installation remains.

I have only been on two, King Cobra and Chang, could have ridden Mantis, but didn't because Chang is bigger. Would have to say Chang for now til I ride another...

...are you serious? Does that even make SENSE? Jesus!!!

Riddlers rocks but someday when I dont live with my parents maybe I will try to make a trip to Cear Point even thoughI dont know what state its in. I think it was Ohio but I am not sure.

It's in Ohio. Sandusky, to be exact.

I've been on...

-- SkyRider [PCW]

-- Shockwave [PKI]

-- Iron Wolf [sFGAm]

-- Mantits [CP]

-- Chang [sFKK]

-- Green piece of ass [La Ronde] edit: Oh, it's called Cobra

Chang was my favourite... followed by Mantis, Cobra, SkyRider, Iron Wolf and Shockwave. Yeah. Chang and Mantis are the only ones worth a re-ride, and Chang I thought was far superior to Mantis.

Ive only been on:

Riddler's Revenge

Vortex (GA)

Vortex feels like it's gotten extremely rougher than the last time I rode it...so it pretty much hurts like hell.

I have to go with Riddler's...of course.