TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely rank Great Bear as one of the most overrated coaster. I am going to have to disagree with people saying that Batman: The Ride is overrated because the only time I have ever seen them being hyped was when they first started opening them in various Six Flags parks in the early 90's. I believe that Batman: The Ride clones are essential workhorse Inverts and more parks could actually use them (*hint*hint* The Great Escape! *hint*hint).

As far as underrated coasters go, I would definitely pick Stormrunner. This coaster always seems to be overlooked in the coaster community and the theme park media. The forces I experience on this coaster are like no other!

I personally think Great Bear is great. It's my third favorite B&M Invert. Behind Alpengeist and Talon.

For me, the most overrated ride experience I've had was El Toro. I mean, the first drop and two following airtime hills were awesome, but the whole second half of the ride was far too rough to be maneuvering through such intensely designed elements. I just ended up with a headache. I still would say I like the ride a lot, but it wasn't the mind blowing perfect coaster that it was hyped up to be. After three rides (front, middle, back) I was ready to devote the rest of the evening to Nitro, which was amazing.

Too rough? It's definitely one of the smoothest coasters out there.

Yeah, that's what I kept hearing, so I was expecting a ride similar to New Texas Giant, but when I got on El Toro, it was bumpy as hell. Both me and my riding partner got headaches. I don't know, maybe I just went on a bad day? That ride seriously roughed me up.

My biggest disappointment was when batwing opened.

Now, Nitro and Apollo's chariot. Even in the back, the airtime is too gentle for me, other than a few spots. Great looking coasters in beautiful locations though.

As I have only been on coasters in the South, my input is limited, but the most overrated coaster for me was Incredible Hulk. Sure, the launch/zero g roll is fun, but everything after the first corkscrew is pretty boring. It's still an 8/10 for me because of the forceful cobra and giant loop, but it shouldn't deserve all the fame it gets. Dragon Challenge is amazing though, don't get how anyone thinks that's overrated.

First runner-up is Rock N' Roller Coaster at MGM. The Launch, like Hulk, is fun, and so is the sea serpent roll at the beginning, but then there's like 5 bunny hops in a row, MCBR, bunny hop, corkscrew, another 3 bunny hops and then the station. Sure it might be cool for someone who has only been to Disney World, but it shouldn't be considered Disney's "extreme ride", I found Space Mountain much more fun, and maybe even more intense because of the intense lateral g's.

However, SheiKra is in no way overrated for me. Yes, it's short, but the vertical drop and immelman are both epic, and even that second almost vertical is still really fun. Maybe I'm spoiled because my wait was only about 45 min.

My biggest disappointment was when batwing opened.

Now, Nitro and Apollo's chariot. Even in the back, the airtime is too gentle for me, other than a few spots. Great looking coasters in beautiful locations though.

Nitro and Apollo's Chariot are amazing! Both some of my favorite coasters. I got floater air on Nitro. And tons of airtime on Apollo's Chariot.

I would say Apocalypse at SFMM. I wont wait longer than 15 minutes to ride it. I also think that any of the Batman inverts are overrated. I wont even ride the one at MM if there is no line. Talk about a headache. Lastly, Incredible Hulk at IOA is terrible after the launch.

I would have to cast my vote in for Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Great Adventure. I loved it when it was my first ride on my first flying coaster, but after that, it became progressively uninteresting. The pretzel loop is insane, but after that it just aimlessly meanders its way back to the station. The reason why I specify Great Adventure's is because Georgia's actually has some terrain work involved. Granted, it's very minimal, but at least there is more to look at on the ride than what used to be parking lot (I have not been on the Great America one or the Happy Valley one). Finally, after riding Manta and Tatsu, there's not a very big sense of creativity with Superman. Sure, the technology was young, but really it's a pretzel loop, four turns, a barrel roll and you're done. Surprisingly, I know people who say it's the best ride in the park (though I cannot blame them since I initially loved it). I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to ramble, but I hate it when people list down some of my favorite rides without explaining their reasons for doing so.

I've got several, but note that while all of these are rides I consider overrated, I do not consider them bad. Most are still above average or are at least good rides, but they just didn't live up to the hype and weren't quite as good as I was expecting.

Blue Streak at Cedar Point-Too short and not as much air as I was expecting.

Both Giant Dippers-The Santa Cruz version is pretty good, but I don't see how people say it is the best woodie on the west coast. The San Diego version was a total letdown...rough and no airtime at all.

Comet at Great Escape-Fun, but not a lot of airtime. Rode in five different seats and none of the rides were as good as I was expecting.

GhostRider at Knott's Berry Farm-I still hear people say this is one of the top ten woodies in the US. It used to be, but now it is a bit too rough. Still a good ride, but not worth more than a fifteen minute wait anymore.

Grizzly at Kings Dominion-Only rode once because the ride hurt worse than even Hurler. My least favorite of the four woodies in the park.

Holiday World's Legend and Raven-Legend was way too rough and didn't give as much airtime as I expected, Raven was too short and lacking a bit on the airtime.

Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion-I only rode it when it had the brake on the drop, but I just didn't really enjoy the ride. It wasn't rough, but just wasn't rerideable for me because of all the quick transitions throwing you about. It's still good, but I don't think it's one of the best in the world.

Six Flags St. Louis's American Thunder and Boss-American Thunder was pretty good, but I honestly was expecting a bit more. I still prefer Thunderhead and Apocalypse to this ride. Boss looked good but was too rough anywhere but the front seat to be very enjoyable.

Space Mountain at Disneyland-It is a really good ride, but I don't think it is the best dark coaster ever like a lot of people say. It may be the best one I've been on, but I've seen videos of others that look significantly better (including some of the other Space Mountains).

I would say Apocalypse at SFMM. I wont wait longer than 15 minutes to ride it. I also think that any of the Batman inverts are overrated. I wont even ride the one at MM if there is no line. Talk about a headache. Lastly, Incredible Hulk at IOA is terrible after the launch.

totally agree

While I still think it's a fantastic ride (especially being Intamin), I really would choose to ride, say Millennium Force, New Texas Giant, Maverick, Behemoth, El Toro and a few others ahead of Bizarro/ Super Man at SFNE. I have no idea why that is but if I had a choice, I wouldn't run to it first. Just trying to get to the definition of overrated.

For everyone mentioning airtime, does every coaster have to have intense airtime to be regarded as perfect? I thought the combo of Maverick and Millennium Force for i305 was brilliant. People forget about that crazy thing called insane speed sometimes, which on its own can really take your breath away. Opinions are fun, ain't they?

I would have to cast my vote in for Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Great Adventure. I loved it when it was my first ride on my first flying coaster, but after that, it became progressively uninteresting. The pretzel loop is insane, but after that it just aimlessly meanders its way back to the station. The reason why I specify Great Adventure's is because Georgia's actually has some terrain work involved. Granted, it's very minimal, but at least there is more to look at on the ride than what used to be parking lot (I have not been on the Great America one or the Happy Valley one). Finally, after riding Manta and Tatsu, there's not a very big sense of creativity with Superman. Sure, the technology was young, but really it's a pretzel loop, four turns, a barrel roll and you're done. Surprisingly, I know people who say it's the best ride in the park (though I cannot blame them since I initially loved it). I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to ramble, but I hate it when people list down some of my favorite rides without explaining their reasons for doing so.

Another overrated coaster i forget about. SFGAm's Superman is probably no more special than SFGAv. Also built into a parking lot.

^ I really liked Superman when I rode it last year. Granted I may be a sucker for the flying position since I actually am a big fan of those Zamperla Volare coasters, but I found Superman to be glass smooth and really fun. While the pretzel loop is the only highly forceful part, the other parts of the ride were still enjoyable for me. And the lack of theming didn't really bother me too much.

Now I wouldn't wait 2 hours for it (amen for Flash Pass), so that's the only way I can deem it overrated since the line for it is always gigantic.

I found Superman to be an interesting experience, especially since I'm very small and thin so my body is a full I'd say 6 inches from the seat when I'm in flying position, so when the train went into the Pretzel Loop I was smashed into my seat and when I came back up I fell with a thud back on the harness. 4 words....

BEST RIDE EXPERIENCE EVER!

I would have to say Yankee Cannonball. I heard it was a very good ride with lots of air but it ended up being pretty tame for me with only a good pop or two of notable air.

Did you sit in the 3rd car last row?