TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

It's the end of Viper as we know it...and I feel fine!

SFGAdv's Viper is officially coming down to make way for the new INTAMIN woodie, and they aren't fooling around! they started work last Friday, and I've heard it will all be gone by next week. i didn't beleive it until today when I saw how much is down since Saturday.

Good news for SFDL- It looks like Viper is being turned to scrap.

Here's a picture from Saturday:

And here's one from today (Monday):

And one of the banged up track:

I'll be following the demolition on my site, and I have more pictures of the demolition and some pics of the coaster operating on my new Viper page!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They damaged Excalibur when they removed it from Astroworld .. but they still sent it to Frontier City to be rebuilt at some point. From what I've heard Inter-Mountain lift and S&S are looking into replacing sections, since Inter-Mountain lift did the original fabrication on the track.

I wish Great Adventure could have traded Vipers with Astroworld. Then Great Adventure could have gotten a medium thrill coaster (Astroworld's Viper is a Schwarzkopf Looping Star). Great Adventure has plenty of thrilling coasters (Kingda Ka, Nitro, GASM, Batman, Chiller, Medusa) and some tamer coasters (Blackbeard, Skull Mountain, Rolling Thunder, Runaway Train and the kiddie coaster) but there really seems to be nothing "in between" for people who want something more than the tamer coasters but aren't ready for the big thrill coasters.

I wish Great Adventure could have traded Vipers with Astroworld. Then Great Adventure could have gotten a medium thrill coaster (Astroworld's Viper is a Schwarzkopf Looping Star). Great Adventure has plenty of thrilling coasters (Kingda Ka, Nitro, GASM, Batman, Chiller, Medusa) and some tamer coasters (Blackbeard, Skull Mountain, Rolling Thunder, Runaway Train and the kiddie coaster) but there really seems to be nothing "in between" for people who want something more than the tamer coasters but aren't ready for the big thrill coasters.

AW wouldn't get rid of the Schwarzkopf .. they love it too much

Damn it! I hope it goes somewhere else so I can still get the credit. I hate when a coaster is just scraped instead of sold. I wish parks would give more warning ahead of time to when they are going to take something out. I like when some parks say "Come ride it for its last season" so at least people know what to expect.

^ It did. The end of LAST season.

I must have the saddest story regarding this ride. I went a couple years ago and got every credit (that I wanted) and then went to Viper. We waited about 30 minutes or so and get into the train and it wouldn't dispatch. Seems that some of the restraints just didn't seem to want to stay down.

Oh well, I thought, there is always next time.

// sometimes there is no next time

This brings a tear...a tear of laughter to my eye. One of the roughest coasters ever designed, honestly, TOGO and their 35 mph unbanked turns and near stall speeds in the dive loop only added to their roller coaster genius. As what had been said above, SF Darien Lake already has a Viper, an Arrow custom looper, I believe. How would Great Adventure's Viper, that was the complaint of 99% of guests and that it is themed to look like a snake, fit in at all at Darien Lake, unless SF was pulling a Viper: The Sequel. "Just when you though you were safe from the roughness..." "When you thought TOGO had finally bit the dust, SF has a ride rotation..." On top of that, I think people, including myself, criticize the Viper for not being a great coaster, even while it was a prototype heartline coaster. I'm NOT saying that TOGO's are smooth however... By the way, when track is made into scrap metal and paper thin strips, it kind of can't be relocated. Viper: The Sequel's Sequel; "Just stare at the metal and remember it's roughness," that's more intense than Silver Bullett, Talon, and Hydra combined!

I heard that it was going to SFGAm. Hopfully it wont because I already got the credit and I think Whizzer should stay. Because Whizzer was soposed to be torn down but was saved. I think Shokwave should have stayed, whizzer moved and put Superman where the Whizzer was. Superman would be so cool over water and around trees.