TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

AstroWorld's Greezed Lightnin???? What is going on with it?

Anyone know the status of this ride. I heard that a small park in Texas bought it from AstroWorld and was planning to rebuild it, but I have not heard anything since.

When and where will it open? anyone know anything?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Lubbock (home of Joyland) back in April I didn't see much work going on. Granted I was looking from the freeway in a town I had never been in before, so I might have missed it. I'll be out there for a week in June and then I'll be moving out there in July, so if nobody else comes through by that point, I'll keep you all updated.

• 3 months later...

Keeping true to my word, I made it over to the area around Joyland today. I didn't make it into the park, since it's a lot cheaper to go during the week. However despite that I did look for things going on around there. I can say without much doubt that there is nothing going on. Again I didn't make it in, however I walked about 20 feet away from where there ride is being placed. I didn't even see evidence of dirt being pushed around. I'll keep an eye on it and let you all know if I ever see anything.

I love the cheesy way they say, "THE Greezed Lightning". Like you when you hear goobers at parks say "Let's go on the Batman" or "Let's ride the Scream." At SFGADV last month, I actually heard someone say, "We're gonna ride the El Toro." Which, of course, translates to "The The Bull."

Honestly I've been living in Lubbock for less than a month, so I'm not really sure what the hold up is. There is some mention on the website about soil problems, which leads me to believe that soil could very possibly be the problem.

• 3 months later...
So this is supposed to be the best of the Schwarzkopf shuttle loop coasters?

It's certainly the best one in the states...

I ranked Belgium's "Turbine" slightly ahead of it because the forces were almost identical to GL, but Turbine was (mostly) contained in a building, ramping up the intensity and the volume. That thing is LOUD!

It is the best one ever made! Its really old and the launch is great!! Flywheel launches are much better than weight drop launches!! If you get a chance, go to Texs and ride it! Greased Lighting at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom is so slow, the launch is weak!

The launch on GL at AW is still weak, 0-60 in six seconds is not very quick. A lot of stock cars on the road can do better then that... that said, it still was my favorite coaster at AW.

It is the best one ever made! Its really old and the launch is great!! Flywheel launches are much better than weight drop launches!! If you get a chance, go to Texs and ride it! Greased Lighting at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom is so slow, the launch is weak!

The launch on GL at AW is still weak, 0-60 in six seconds is not very quick. A lot of stock cars on the road can do better then that... that said, it still was my favorite coaster at AW.

What car in 1978 could do that?

So this is supposed to be the best of the Schwarzkopf shuttle loop coasters?

Never ridden myself, but as warped and twisted as this is, may be the best of the Anton shuttle loops:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig818.htm?picture=1

As much as I love Monte, I still miss the intense rush I used to get going backwards through the loop on Tidal Wave. I know the rides are suppose to be identical except for the launch, but I just don't get that same buzz going backwards through Monte's loop. Maybe the loop on the 1st generation counterweight ones were more circular or something. Hard to explain, maybe it's just me, but the intense rush/buzz I used to get from TW isn't there on Monte, weird.

I'd give it the slight edge only cause the other Flywheel in the states is at Knotts and stupid Montezooma suffers from poor ops and seat belts.

The rides themselves are identical.

The thing that set GL apart from others (including Monte) is that Astroworld never braked the train on the way backward through the station. I seem to remember Monte getting braked, maybe not as much as a weight drop shuttle, but it certainly didn't go as far up the back spike as GL did.

That back spike was the highlight of the whole ride!

Belgium's Turbine also went full-speed up the back spike as I recall.