TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney Ride Op Simulators

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I spent 3 years as a ride operator. Two of those years were on Top Thrill Dragster. The control panel is quite extensive and you really need to pay attention while working. But being a ride op isn't so bad because if you miss something, one of the other crew members will see it. Most modern rides will not let you do something that will allow you to harm somebody very easy. It's hard to run trains into each other unless you really know what you are doing and you have a vendetta against whoever is in the train. But all in all, even though you do the same thing over and over, for weeks in a row, it becomes second nature and you don't even really think about it, it just happens.

Photo_070406_006.thumb.jpg.775738ec966e533e5a1e8d344f960cf5.jpg

^ That is an amazing control panel. I'm a control panel fanatic!

From my experience being a ride op, no matter how complex the main panel is, during normal operation you never have to push that many buttons to keep things going. Now have a block setup or something of that nature and all that training comes into play and lots of buttons and keys could be turned.

The most difficult task I ever encountered was clearing a block setup on Rim Runner (Adventuredome) with three boats. Basically it involves resetting each block by communicating with the lift and chute people so they use their reset keys and pull their buttons the same time you do. The key was doing it in just the right pattern so that it didnt set itself right back up again. Oh, and hope the ride didnt e-stop itself (it liked doing that...i have stories!).

• 6 months later...
It's hard to run trains into each other unless you really know what you are doing and you have a vendetta against whoever is in the train.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong at Cedar Point if operators have the ability to bump trains into each other.

You should see River Battle at Dollywood has a normal pannel like that then a touch screen to turn the ride off or to put out automated speils. Its cool Ill get a picture of it next week.

Supreme Scream also has a touch screen as well as its normal panel.

Even some ops at the ride don't know that haha...

^Yeah I don't know, even for mechanics its pretty had to get trains to collide. Unless you're working the transfer on an older ride, or something but still.

The ride layout for DL Haunted Mansion and DLP Phantom Manor are virtually identical. Even the employee break room is in the same location. DL has 131 ride vehicles and DLP has 130 ride vehicles. DLP has different show pieces and soundtrack. As I recall DLP PM is built all above ground; DL HM is about 5 feet below ground level.

I think Tokyo is a clone of WDW, but I'm not sure about HK.

>>The Phantom Manor one was nice and pretty fun, though if the show in the elevator was much longer it'd make it a bit harder and more realistic. It's definitely accurate >>in spirit to the real thing, where the capacity is limited by the buggies in 2-elevator operation. I'm assuming PM is like the WDW Mansion, where the elevators are just >>ceilings and not actual elevators like Disneyland?

If I run the ToT Sim with both TV Rooms and all three elevators at peak capacity, I end up with too many peeps in the Boiler Room Queue and have to hold back loading the TV Rooms for a couple of elevators or close one of the rooms for a little while. I have also noticed that the bonus video at 1,000 guests doesn't seem to work any more.

The Play-It Sim seems strange and it already froze on me once. It is realistic that they also quiz one guest and then the show is over?

I am so addicted to those Disney simulators and quite the master of operations I must say. ToT - piece of cake with me in charge! But that is because I've been playing them for two days rather than working - whoops...

As for the Towers ones - they just plain suck. But thanks for posting them anyway!

• 11 months later...