TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Amusement Park Bans Screaming On 'The Screamer'

From cbs13.com

SACRAMENTO Screams on a thrill ride, it's hard to imagine a ride without them. One local community is saying keep your mouth shut as you enjoy the ride.

It turns out that noise is just one part of the dispute. We are looking over residential rooftops toward The Scandia Screamer, a thrill ride that's thrilling customers but it's also irritating to neighbors who are threatening to sue.

At 168 feet tall, spinning at 60 miles an hour, pulling 3.5 gs, there is no thrill in Sacramento that compares with this screamer.

“It was breathtaking,” said one rider.

In fact, you're not allowed to scream.

Neighbors who live in the shadow of the new ride across I-80 complained about the noise, so management at the Scandia Family Fun Center enacted a strict policy.

“There is no noise on the ride,” said a park employee.

“If you feel like you might make noise cover your mouth like this because if we can hear a noise we're required to take you off the ride so it's aggressive,” said Steve Baddley, Scandia’s general manager. “We believe we're taking every effort to make this a really mutually-beneficial relationship between the business owner the county and the residents,” said Steve

During our visit people were getting bumped off for sounding out.

“I didn't think we were that loud,” said one rider who was ejected. “It’s hard to tell. It’s a human reaction to yell when you’re going in the sky, face-down on the freeway.”

But neighbors we talked to said the sound isn’t the only problem. They say it’s an eyesore at night when it’s all lit up.

“It's like going from fire crackers to the atomic bomb,” said Mike Bayless, neighbor. “I mean, it’s like you’re going from small family entertainment to something that's grossly grossly out-of-place out of place in a neighborhood.”

And then there's the issue of privacy.

“And when they’re on the top of that thing they’re looking right down in my backyard,” said John Eams, neighbor.

And now, there’s even talk amongst the neighbors of a class-action lawsuit.

“I'm certainly willing to participate in the class action lawsuit but it's going to be a long road to hoe and I'm sure we will see great loss in our property values in the interim,” said Bayless.

“I would love to hear your opinions and options. Help us implement policy or words to policy that you think might be more effective” said Baddley.

The county approved this ride after taking a lot of public input, but the neighbors say their input was not adequately considered. For Scandia’s side, they say they chose this particular ride because it's one of the quietest thrill rides that you can get as far as the motor. They say they needed the ride to stay viable in a competitive marketplace.

People screaming on a Skyscraper, OMG panic!

The best part is where the guys is all upset because "people can see into my backyard, OMG!" Does he have a meth lab or something back there? Who cares about your crappy yard!

The part about this that absolutely KILLS is the fact that the park AND these houses are right along the FREEWAY! Hello!

I'm not only praying that this gets thrown out of court but that the judge slaps the crap out of the backyard meth guy.

construction pics of the ride in question

-Don

983936091_skyscreamer.thumb.jpg.be318c465951e17a1aa904021c1556a9.jpg

Aghh! TOO LOUD!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got kicked off of that ride for screaming. They don't kick people out of the park for screaming when you get a hole-in-one or get a high score on an arcade. Plus, how can you not scream, that thing is so scary, I hear people scream on Dragon Wagons let alone a 168ft rotating arm that flips you around at 60 mph.

I thought that at first but with the arrogant attitude of people out here it sounds more probable than not.

I'm not calling it April Fools yet, they could have done something much better. If it is a joke it's pretty meh.

Now every KFC restauraunt in Sacramento being annexed by the state of Kentucky...that's a good AF joke!

that is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. I mean, I'm sure the screaming can be as bad as a busy freeway. Plus, who cares if it is lit up! Don't look at it!

They could in-close the gondolas with glass or something transparent.

Or how about this?

220px-Ball_gag1.jpg.da5e39c969f329e5b32fecac47f5cba5.jpg

I have one thing to say to them...

...A-DURRRRRRRRRRR!!!

You live next to an interstate, across of which is an amsuiement park, with sacremento's biggest coaster claled "THE SCREAMER". Y'THINK its gonna get noisy?

(I can understnad the guy not wanting people to look into his backyard, though)

Also, unkadog, why the heck do you have that pic?

Is it just me or is the publics freedom of expression being violated here ?if the idiots who are complaining dont like it i got one word for them MOVE !!!Now that i think about it the same thing will happen at sfmm when those houses are built right across from x they will most likely ban screaming on it too.

What on earth, these people piss me off. Hello you live next to an already NOISY area, and yet your complaining about sum thrill ride. I think its ridiculous that they're actually kicking people out of the park for screaming just because of some pissed of uptight people

You know personally I think the idea is kind of cool. It gives people more of a challenge. When you are forced to remain silent the fear level will be even higher. Besides when I am on a ride and annoying little girls are next to me screaming I wish they would SHUT UP!!!!!!! It's just like crying when you get hurt. I don't like people who cry when they get hurt. It's ridiculous.

You know personally I think the idea is kind of cool. It gives people more of a challenge. When you are forced to remain silent the fear level will be even higher. Besides when I am on a ride and annoying little girls are next to me screaming I wish they would SHUT UP!!!!!!! It's just like crying when you get hurt. I don't like people who cry when they get hurt. It's ridiculous.

You don't like people who cry when they get HURT? What kind of sadistic person ARE you? Go get someone to saw your foot off, then tell me you don't cry, that's the most disgusting comment I've seen on this website.

How can you get mad at someone for screaming, all it is is just a NATURAL human reaction to excitement, or being scared. If you scream, you scream, it's not like you can just prevent your body from giving you the flight or fight instinct, it's something you can't control.

But your crying comment, that's just showing your bigheadedness. Even if that's true, don't say it in a public place, you're just making yourself look like a big shot, you can't tell me that you've never cried from being hurt.

Dude, I'm not sadistic, let's not get carried away. What I mean is, a lot of of people, here and in Europe are wimps. You go to South America. They make young boys stick their hands in bullet ants, yes, this is no joke and hold them there for twenty minutes!! While here people are afraid to donate a little blood. And yes I think it is a good challenge not to have people make sounds on a certain ride. If they don't like it they can ride skyscraper rides elsewhere.