TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Intimin launch coasters

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two Intamin rocket coasters were built with lap bars, but due to the desire for more safety, all other rocket coasters built after those two were built with OTSRs.

Both Xcelerator and Top Thrill Dragster have lap bars -- all of the others use OTSRs.

I have a question about Intimin launch coasters. You might think it is dumb but why do some have over the shoulder restraints and some don’t. The only one I have been on is Accelerator and that does not but I know from pictures on this site that most do?

Thanks

To clarify on vjgx's post.

Before 2003, all Intamin Rocket coasters (at that time Xcelerator and TTD) had only lap restraints. Also, Storm Runner was announced in late 2003 and interestingly has OTSR's, probably due to inversions.

But why do all Intamin Rockets now have OTSRs? Blame it on the 2004 Superman incident at SFNE when a restraint opened (however, it was a guests fault, since he was too big for the restraint). Since then, parks have been a little weary of Intamin rides because of the restraints, which is why all rocket coasters after Storm Runner now have OTSR's (then again, it could be the parks themselves that request OTSRs).

Give "Rocket" coaster lap bars instead of "ohr", your upper body is free to move around.

The parks can use 1 train with Lap Bars and the other with ohr, the public can see which one works better and tell the park.

Rita and Stealth do not need ohr, give em lap-bars and make the ride more enjoyable and not feel so restricted.

Lagoon Park in Utah Insisted that Wicked have Lap Bars instead of OTSRs, and it has Lap Bars. I'd say it's up to the parks.

Sid

yes but isn't that a zierer launch? not sure if i makes any difference but pretty sure all the intamins that are being built now are OTSRs, though not sure about the one at heide park remember some pictures of the trains with them so it probably will.

Rita and Stealth do not need ohr, give em lap-bars and make the ride more enjoyable and not feel so restricted.

Having been on both i can safely say i did not feel that restricted by them and i reckon Joe Public probably prefers them heard couple of people questioning the safety of Rush just because it only had lap bars. Heh remember ages ago a discussion about restriction on Collosus just because they put a little bit of steel on the sides to stop idiouts sticking their legs out.

The Intamin OTSR hurts your shoulders when riding arms up, but otherwise they are great. I prefer the B&M restraints though because you have so much more space to move around, even though they are larger.

ehh B&M Invert aren't always great for tall skinny people, I know when they go down all the way it's very very uncomfortable if you're tall because you can't slouch in those seats. I've gotten bruises from riding Talon, and that's one of the smoothest coasters around.

Kingda Ka's OTSRs are less restricting IMO. I can hardly put my arms up on a B&M, but I can more easily on that ride. I think they're also not as bad because the only time you touch them is while getting airtime, whereas on a B&M Invert they definately push down on me during high force segments, which are more frequent and much more forceful.

I gotta say, I really did like the open-ness of Top Thrill Dragster's restraints. It was actually kinda scary, but in a good way, especially at the top of the hill.

I've never been on one with OTSR's. I can't imagine it taking too much away from the ride, but on Kingda Ka there is an air-time hill, so it probably takes away from that element.

the OTSR's aren't that bad, but I much prefer the lap restraints like it was previously stated "scary but in a good way"

the B&M restraints do push on me as well, Im 6ft 1in, and skinny as all get-out (not like Mary-Kate and Ashley, but still skinny), thank God I have never gotten bruised on any of the B&M inverts I have ridden....

was the bruise worse than a Vekoma bruise, or Arrow bruise?

Nah it was just little bruises on the insides of my shoulders I think, nothing that bad. I wouldn't ride an arrow enough to get bruises lol. Those are much much more uncomfortable than B&Ms, but if you sit in the front of rows then you can kinda slouch which still sucks but not as bad as trying to sit up.

Surprisingly I've never had any problems with the 3 floorlesses I've been on, Medusa SFGAdv, Dominator, and Batman Dark Knight. I'd expect the seating ergonomics to be the same, but I guess they're a little different.

For reference I'm 6'3" and probably a similar build as the last guy who posted his height.

I definately prefer TTD's lapbar over KK's OTSRs, but KK's restraints aren't too bad. Either way, if the attendants don't staple you then the first pullup will so they feel pretty similar other than you can't move around quite as much on KK.

i know this is not a Intamin Rocket Coaster. Didn't Intamin change the lap bars on their wood coaster trains or is is a special restraint for El Toro at SFGAVD. IS this due to that thing with Six Flags to.

lisee20.jpg.23076802f604e840849076a20a64c21e.jpg

look at the lap bars on Balder

070706-052.jpg.4a13a8f0a8144298d6d1e59b9e7ce6a1.jpg

now El Toro

062806-049.jpg.bcc0e393356a579e1181f2ea31ff409d.jpg

Safety is the main factor,

1. The accident at SFNE.

2. The magnetic brakes are very strong that intamin use and you are thrust forwards into your seat. The OTSR's stop you hitting the seat infront.

Here is the official reason behind Intamins OTSR's on the rockets.

A potential danger was found on the risk assessment, this was the posibility of someone taking a bite out of the seat in front on the brake run. The control measure was a shoulder restraint. Simple.

I just skimmed the other posts but I'm sure I saw a mention of this. So if I'm repeating anyone, I do apologise.

I'm sure all of the incidents on Intamin rides have made the company design the new restraints.

I can't imagine Storm Runner with only a lapbar! That would be insane. From my experience. the OTSR's aren't restricting but you can smash your neck on them pretty hard during Storm Runner's random extreme banking under the monorail.

For reference I'm 6'3" and probably a similar build as the last guy who posted his height.

Im 6'5" (now) and it is very uncomfortable to ride almost any OTSR ride. I now dont even try riding most Arrows, V2/wicked twister, B&M inverts, vekoma kiddy suspended coasters.

I feel that the Intamin OTSRs are much more comfortable and give me alot of room. I dont have any problem riding with them...there better then those stupid leg things that they put on S:ROS after the acident.