TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How to convince parents of a trip.

I'm needing some help convincing my parents to take me to Mt. Olympus. I've told them about how it's 'four parks in one' but they haven't responded. We haven't taken a 'real' vacation yet. We were going to go to WOF last year, but we went to Oklahoma City to see family and ended up going to Frontier City instead. I really would like to go because my dad can't go on rides (besides kiddie coasters and go-karts) because of his heart. At Mt. Olympus, there are lots of go-karts so he could have fun instead of watch the family. Any ideas to help me go???

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How from is hometown from Wisconsin Dells? I'm not familiar with the distance from Yo Momma to Wisconsin Dells. This could be helpful in helping people provide advice.

Do your parents just not want to go to an amusement park? Are there other activities they prefer?

I'm needing some help convincing my parents to take me to Mt. Olympus. I've told them about how it's 'four parks in one' but they haven't responded. We haven't taken a 'real' vacation yet. We were going to go to WOF last year, but we went to Oklahoma City to see family and ended up going to Frontier City instead. I really would like to go because my dad can't go on rides (besides kiddie coasters and go-karts) because of his heart. At Mt. Olympus, there are lots of go-karts so he could have fun instead of watch the family. Any ideas to help me go???

Well, it's almost the same in my family. First of all: my mother and sister don't really like the "rough rides" in a park and the last years my father also has to watch his heart. When there is theming and some place to walk and sit (woods, etc.) then they might like to go. Now I'm on my own for 6 years already, and I have close friends who will go with me to many parks, so that's not a real problem nowadays, but I know it from the past.

I must say that I convinced my father to do some parks just like a "father-son thing", he is kind of proud he made me a "coaster/amusement park nut". I know he can't do much rough rides and even will pass on some rides when we go, but he likes shows very much and we will do a couple of them as well (normally i pass on the shows ). Maybe you can still convince your father by racing with him in go-karts?

About problems with health: kind of strange. Driving a car is faster most of the time, more stress, also working, etc. generates more stress and still they are not allowed on rough rides. Allright: the forces are bigger and you get upside down, etc. But is that really the reason they can't go?On the other hand: my father did the Goliath at Walibi World three times in a row and didn't feel really good the rest of the day (tired, pain on the chest, etc.)

^I live in Newton, Kansas. About 12 hours away. Well, my parents aren't really into doing vacations period. Every now and then they like to do something, but not anything that we would have to plan. My dad likes to ride go-karts . I just think that Mt. Olympus would be the perfect place to go.

Honestly, if your parents don't like to travel, you're probably sunk for now. My family pretty much goes on the same boring vacation EVERY YEAR! In a few years, however, you'll be able to go on your own coaster trips, and your parents' sedentary ways won't matter. I have two suggestions to prepare for this:

1) Get some sort of job (harder at your age, I know), and start saving every penny you make. Coaster trips aren't cheap, and you might need money to buy a car when you're old enough.

2) Make friends with older people who are into travelling to parks. If your parents trust these people, they might be eager to let you travel with them to get you off their backs.

ask them when they're happy, talk about it over a dinner and say you'll pay for your part.

Other than that, if you got some important exams coming up, revise hard and try to get good grades. I done this got 4 B's 7 C's and we went on a trip to Alton Towers. (i was predicted straight C's)

I sometimes have the same problems and a lot of you guys are saying keep talking to them about it but after a while they get tired of hearing it, haha. So dont talk to them to much about it and mabie you could look for stuff online and basicly plan out your trip, that might help.

Start saving up for when you're older and can go on trips with your friends?

Honestly, I think it's a little selfish to expect your parents to drive 12 hours and spend a good chunk of cash to go on a driving vacation to amusement parks when it isn't their thing. Especially since your dad has a heart condition that makes it so he can't even ride most things. I know you're trying to take their interests to heart and find things they'd be interested in too [like your dad with the go karts], but at the end of the day it's still a vacation they don't seem to want to do. It doesn't hurt to ask, but try to see it from their side too. Besides, in a few years you'll be able to travel on your own and go where ever you want.

^ I don't get ANY reward for getting good grades. I am expected to get all A's no questions asked. I get grounded if my grade drops to a C+ (Which at my school a C is 70-79%).

I appreciate all the comments you guys have given me. I'll try most of them and see what happens.

Hey, that's exactly how my parents were too!

I hate to say this, but maybe you need to wait a few years and then get your friends to go with you and split the driving.

When I was a kid, we hardly went anywhere, either. Of course, trying to afford a trip with five kids on one income wasn't easy. It sounds like you'll just have to start putting some money away and wait awhile before taking such a trip---and it'll have to be with friends, since your folks don't seem to like traveling.

Eric

Did you tell your dad it was "voted" best place to ride Go-Carts?

Ok, here are my ways:

Sarcastically:

1. Start crying as hard as you can until they finally let you go.

2. Steal the car and get there yourself (remember, this is sarcasm)

3. Slave Labor

4. Get new parents

No Kidding:

1. I got my uncle to take me to Cedar Point. Perhaps anther family member will be willing to take you who will also have a good time...

2. As mentioned before, offer to pay some of the way.

3. Suggest other places along the way that the whole family may have a good time at.

4. Plan it yourself, with not just you in mind. (i.e. go online and check some hotels and stuff out)

5. Have someone go along that your dad can hang out with. Trust me, it's not fun just standing there while everyone else has a blast.

6. If you overhear your parents planning a vacation, or something. Think of a themepark thats nearby the locations they're thinking of, and suggest it as a sidetrack.

Try some of these(except the sarcastic ones). I can't guarantee that they will work, but it is definitely worth a try. I have the same dilemma, and I somehow get places!

I think you're gonna have to wait and save money to go with friends or maybe on a group coaster trip. My father and brother didn't like amusement parks and only my mother and I would actually go on rides. I managed to go to the Six Flags park in St. Louis on a church trip and Silver Dollar City (before they had any rides worth talking about) because of the cave tour.

Most times it was an actual struggle to get a vacation to those parks; and i really didn't get to go to most amusement parks until I was out on my own. I still tease my father about us going to Busch Gardens and Disneyworld (back when it was free to get in but you had to buy tickets to get on rides) and only going on one ride in each park. I was mad back then but then it was their money and their car, so I was lucky to be out on town on vacation... which at the time was something most of my friends could only dream of.

My parents did send us to visit our aunt in Los Angeles one summer in 1976 (saw Jaws in Kansas city and had nightmares on the train ) and we did go to all the amusement parks there, so that was a treat.

Maybe if you have relatives in other towns with amusement parks, maybe you could visit them and maybe they could take you. Otherwise you may have to wait and do them on your own.