TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

I'll be able to get a little bit of a hockey fix tonight. CSN Washington is showing the Hershey Bears @ Norfolk Admirals @ 7. I'm honestly excited.

Went to the game last night (we're season ticket holders, so this is the only game we get all year now!), wasn't NHL-caliber of course but it was a good time. Not very full for a game I thought I heard was sold out, though.

Loving how Bettman is trying to play victim all over the place..."I'm very disappointed" he says, as he runs the league into the ground.

The feeling is different this time IMO. Last time everyone hated the lockout, but understood changes to the game needed to be made to keep it growing. This time around everyone is just pissed off since hockey has grown steadily since the last lockout and was finally moving forward again....

D.C. has to be hurting pretty bad. First of all, Caps tickets are very expensive and they've sold out every game for the past few years, plus the money brought in by the vendors and merchandise at Verizon Center. I also realized today that Metro has got to be losing a lot of money. Look at all the people who come in from the DC area as well as the Baltimore area, Virginia, West Virginia, even Pennsylvania. I remember back when we could afford to go to the games it seemed like the vast majority of people took the Metro. Also, the Greene Turtle bar and grill is suffering pretty bad. They were the Caps biggest sponsor and a TON of people went there just to watch the games. This lockout isn't just angering hockey fans, it's ruining people's lives. People who work in the stadiums have been out of work for months and some have even lost their homes. This is all stuff I've seen and heard on the news, not just random stuff I'm pulling out of my butt.

The feeling is different this time IMO. Last time everyone hated the lockout, but understood changes to the game needed to be made to keep it growing.

There's also no "good guys" to rally around this time -- everyone's pretty sick of the antics of both sides of the labor dispute. Donald Fehr's fake-optimism press conference shenanigans yesterday have been almost universally derided, and have caused a lot of people to lose trust in the players as good-faith negotiators. As for the NHL's side, well, find me a hockey fan who likes Gary Bettman and I'll find you the winners of the 04-05 Stanley Cup.

One truth: as long as there is drama,

The feeling is different this time IMO. Last time everyone hated the lockout, but understood changes to the game needed to be made to keep it growing. This time around everyone is just pissed off since hockey has grown steadily since the last lockout and was finally moving forward again....

I find myself a whole lot more indifferent this time around. For me at least, this is the 3rd time I've seen the league do this since becoming a fan, and frankly at this point I feel like I care a whole lot less then the previous two times.

As much as I love watching hockey, I am finding that it has not been a big deal to not watch any games this year. Even last year I didn't catch too many of the games where in years past, I would rarely miss a game. I just get more out of my Netflix now, that's all. With this lock-out, I am just about through with this league...I wish they'd start broadcasting some of the Rochester AHL games instead.

The way I see it, the entire NHL could give two craps about the fans or Joe Blow trying to make money selling hot dogs at the arena. I know it's a business...but in the end, not too many middle class Americans are going to be able to afford to take their families to a game anymore because they will be the one's forced to pay more for tickets to a game to account for greedy business owners and players. I think that these pro leagues are starting to dig their own graves and it will come back to bite them eventually.

Think NY Yankees with their super high ticket prices to the point where they couldn't even sell out their home playoff games at their new multi-gazillion dollar stadium and players with over-inflated contracts and egos...and this is THE NY Yankees!

I remember when I could go to a Sabres game and get tickets in the 300 level for less than $20 (usually $10-15). Now those same tickets in the nosebleed section are at least $50 and will probably end up going for $75 (& up) by the time this lock-out is all said and done. And that is for small market, blue collar Buffalo, so I can't even imagine what tickets for a Rangers, Caps, Kings or Flyers game will be!

I got Kings nosebleed tickets last year for $7, and that was against the NJ Devils during the regular season lol. The most I paid was $76, and that was for game 4 against the Blues. I got all my tickets through Ebay or Stubhub, not directly from the Kings, so I paid a much, much lower price.

I miss hockey, but, I live in Southern California so I have PLENTY of things to entertain me. When the NHL comes back, I'll be back, but I'm not losing sleep over this.

Go Kings Go, lets repeat in 2014. LOL.

As someone previously mentioned I wish they could broadcast AHL games to at least get some hockey games on TV.

I started watching hockey back in 2009 so this is my first lockout I get to experience. I know some fans are following the CBA talks but I don't even bother doing that because I know the season is over.

As a Devils fan, ticket prices have gone up a bit over the past few years. Last season we did a 8 game pack where you chose 8 games to attend and where to sit. On weeknight games, 2 rows behind the glass were $100 we would get those and then for games on the weekends we would get tickets for the last few rows in the Lower bowl or in the Upper Sections.

• 4 weeks later...

In case any of our hockey fans haven't completely given up on the NHL -- looks like a tentative CBA deal has been reached, after a marathon 16-hour bargaining session. Fuel for everyone who said "lock them in a room and don't let 'em out until it's done!" Seems like that's what happened tonight.

I guess now I need to figure out what to do with my tickets for the 4 games that are remaining in my partial season ticket plan in Columbus. None of the games are against teams I really want to see, all of those games were earlier in the season. 6 hour round trip drive just isn't worth it if I am not going to see my Pens in Columbus. I only got the season tickets so I could get a ticket to the All-Star Game. Wonder how hard it will be to sell a nose-bleed seat? Also need to see how much Center Ice will want to charge for the rest of the season. More than $40 and I will probably cancel that too.

Yeah the lockout is done, but I think they lost me for the rest of the season. Took about a full season for me to get back into last time.

I guess now I need to figure out what to do with my tickets for the 4 games that are remaining in my partial season ticket plan in Columbus. None of the games are against teams I really want to see, all of those games were earlier in the season.

I'm expecting that the remaining schedule will be completely revised, so you may yet find yourself with options for games you'd like to attend. However, since it's going to be all in-conference, they won't be playing the Penguins. And thank goodness, because those games when all the Pittsburgh fans fill Nationwide make me sick!

There's also rumors that Center Ice could be offered free for the entirety of the partial season, which would be nice.

I usually attend a few games a year in Columbus, though I'm doubting I'll go to more than one, maybe two this year.

Sorry, I'm one of those Pens fans that does that. Although when I go to non-Pens games there, I don't wear anything hockey related.

Guess I just need to wait to see the schedule and then see how they are going to apply my tickets. Maybe I can get lucky and just get a refund for those 4 remaining games.

• 2 weeks later...

^It was probably just opening night nerves. When he was down in Hershey earlier this season he was doing pretty good if I can remember correctly.

I feel like Schneider had opening night nerves as well since he allowed 5 goals not even halfway through the second period.

Well, it's only two games, but my Buffalo Sabres look like they're on a mission to do some damage in this shortened season. Vanek looks very impressive, he did a lot of playtime in Europe during the lockout, smart guy. My fingers are crossed that the Sabres keep playing well!