TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

^ If you use the same building, why wouldn't there be? I'm no structural engineer but if you gutted the existing building removing all the seats, stages, special effects, etc for T2 and then add in a track for a dark ride, dark ride vehicles, some animatronics I don't see how that would be any heavier than what's there now.

Not even to mention that there would be considerably less people going through a dark ride at any one time vs a packed theater.

There's plenty of room, but there's not enough strength from the parking structure to hold up the show building for a dark ride, I don't think.

Congratulations on being a structural engineer at 20!

^ If you use the same building, why wouldn't there be? I'm no structural engineer but if you gutted the existing building removing all the seats, stages, special effects, etc for T2 and then add in a track for a dark ride, dark ride vehicles, some animatronics I don't see how that would be any heavier than what's there now.

Not even to mention that there would be considerably less people going through a dark ride at any one time vs a packed theater.

Don't forget the fact that the seats dropped which probably put more force on the parking structure than a dark ride ever would.

Went to Universal today to get a park update! I was there today mainly to shoot an update for Despicable Me construction and what's going on with the WWW arena....as well as getting a couple of rides on Transformers and the Mummy.

What is that little shack that they are building behind the Blues Brothers stage? Some sort of sound booth? Oh, the Blues Brothers show is now only going on during the weekends when the crowds pick up. The park is fairly empty right now as school is back in session and the holiday crowds have passed.

Looking at the map, Terminator 2:3D have been completely eliminated from the map as well as the Western arena. Let's go see how they're doing, shall we?

All references to the former attraction are now gone. While I was over there, I could see construction workers pulls stuff in and out of the preshow doors. I heard lots of loud hammering and saws. They seem to be wasting no time converting this to Despicable Me.

Coke Soak is completely walled-off.

Some Fast and Furious cars have been moved over here to give the guests something to look at for the next five to six months.

Now to look at the Western arena

Treelighting show is completely gone.

One last look at what's left of the WWW arena.

New plants added to the hillside by SES show.

Blues Brothers during the weekdays.

I'll conclude the update with this picture. Just literally a couple minutes before I took this picture, one of the construction workers painted this line and made this survey marker. THEY"RE BUILDING A NEW GIGA!!!!

In all seriousness, I think this has something to do with a new attraction that should opening where the arena is. Maybe a queue rail, or a sign of some sort?

I'm going to guess that the webmaster for insideuniversal was the one who sent in the rumor to drive some extra clicks to his website.

Actually, no. I take great offense to that. If you read the article clearly, you would see that we chose not to publish the rumor when it was given to us three weeks prior to being published on Screamscape. As I quite clearly state:

I’m going to be transparent on this: our staff collaborated for quite a while before choosing not to publish this rumor. Given what we know, this has long been a favorite rumor among Universal and theme park fans, with various stories circulating on the web ranging from Bob Hope swearing that he would never sell the golf club to Universal to other anecdotes that have since faded into the sunset.

However, given the recent news published by Screamscape, we’ve decided to tackle this rumor head on. To sum things up, we don’t see this happening to the park in the very near future. Recent mumbles have said that Spring 2013 could be the nearest date such an announcement could take place, which left us – quite frankly – scratching our heads.

We've heard this rumor many times and like the community here, we've dismissed every count of it. However, given the recent buzz, we felt like we had to publish our own take.

Sorry. I don't like posting just to offer a rebuttal, but I do feel a need to defend what we published. We're not in the business of posting sensational rumors, nor do we like creating them.

I'm going to guess that the webmaster for insideuniversal was the one who sent in the rumor to drive some extra clicks to his website.

Actually, no. I take great offense to that. If you read the article clearly, you would see that we chose not to publish the rumor when it was given to us three weeks prior to being published on Screamscape. As I quite clearly state:

I’m going to be transparent on this: our staff collaborated for quite a while before choosing not to publish this rumor. Given what we know, this has long been a favorite rumor among Universal and theme park fans, with various stories circulating on the web ranging from Bob Hope swearing that he would never sell the golf club to Universal to other anecdotes that have since faded into the sunset.

However, given the recent news published by Screamscape, we’ve decided to tackle this rumor head on. To sum things up, we don’t see this happening to the park in the very near future. Recent mumbles have said that Spring 2013 could be the nearest date such an announcement could take place, which left us – quite frankly – scratching our heads.

We've heard this rumor many times and like the community here, we've dismissed every count of it. However, given the recent buzz, we felt like we had to publish our own take.

Sorry. I don't like posting just to offer a rebuttal, but I do feel a need to defend what we published. We're not in the business of posting sensational rumors, nor do we like creating them.

Who are you and what the hell are you even talking about?!?!? Did you really come onto our forums to post a response to something that was written OVER A MONTH AGO!?!?

No one cares.

--Robb "End of discussion." Alvey

Saw this on the USO discussion thread. It's rumored that the JP area of IOA will be getting an expansion in time for the opening of JP4 in theaters. Getting the Discovery Center dark ride here at USH would be awesome, although I highly doubt it'll happen (due to space). But maybe we could at least get the upgraded effects and AAs on JP?

Source: Welcome, to Jurassic Park...Part 2?

Rumored expansion details:

Amber Mine Rollercoaster – This small-scale family coaster is said to be a themed run-away mine cart ride through detailed Amber Mines. The targeted height minimum is between 36 and 40 inches; so it will be a ride that most families can enjoy together. And while GCI Coasters met with Universal Creative earlier last year, we are told now that the Gravity Group has been contacted to build this attraction.

Discovery Center Dark Ride – This slow moving dark ride would load inside the Jurassic Park Discovery Center where the labs currently reside. Rumored scenes include the DNA Scene from Jurassic Park the movie, detailed lab scenes, a dinosaur egg hatching, as well as a tour through dinosaurs that are in containment (including Velociraptor AA’s). The ride itself would unload close to the new Amber Mine Coaster.

Camp Jurassic – This popular kids playground would be expanded and given numerous upgrades, including special effects and “live dinosaurs” within the grounds.

Jurassic Park River Adventure – The headline attraction of Jurassic Park would receive a major refurb including new effects and AA replacements.

Numerous new food and beverage outlets – There is no new sit down restaurant planned in this expansion. All new unique offerings will come via themed food stands.

Triceratops Encounter – This old beauty will be leveled to make room for the future additions mentioned above. While most of the work will indeed take place on this site, make no mistake the island will be getting a lot of attention before re-opening.

Well there you have it folks! This is the rumored expansion that is currently scheduled to open in Summer 2014. On top of that, Universal just announced that Jurassic Park 4 would also hit theaters in Summer 2014.