TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2006 Golden Ticket Awards

For writing this I probably won't get a ballot again next year, but no big deal, as it doesn't even appear that my ballot makes any difference in this awards anyway.

I would really hope not. I'm going to assume that the guys at AT would appreciate and accept constructive criticism rather than punish because of it.

Honestly, I think this thread has been pretty good in the sense that it offers a pretty civil and honest discussion as to how non-industry members of the community feel about the award system.

I know a lot of parks, ride manufacturers, and even people from AT read this site and personally, I appreciate getting feedback on our videos, Photo TR, and other offerings and all this could do is potentially make the system better.

I'm at least hoping!

--Robb "This isn't nearly as bad as outright flames and bashing I've seen on other sites." Alvey

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I like about CoasterFanatic's list--it actually tells you how many (and which) members have actually experienced a particular ride (which does give a little more info to go on).

Yeah, and that's what seems to be a bit unfair to people who have ridden more, they aren't treated the same as someone who gets the ballot and has only been on 30 different coasters. They have more to rank, yet no place to give that ranking. Of course, its also a burden in Mitch's Poll, because I have more and more to list every year!

Hopefully someday they'll change their method, but until they do we'll always have Mitch's Poll (and to some extent, CoasterFanatics) to fall back on for a more accurate ranking.

What boggles me more looking at this list again is that only 3 coasters made before 1994 made it on the steel top 50. I could have sworn there was a ton of kick-butt steel coaster's built in the 80s and early 90s.

Rides like the first Batman at Six Flags in Ill. that spawned about 6 trillion clones. How the hell did these voters not even find that memorable, special, or whatever enough to be on this list?

Why do I still care to look at this list anymore?

I see that Ripsaw is back at the top of the water rides list. Well, that's cool, since I do have a certain affinity for that ride. But I wonder what happened to Bluto's? Didn't it always used to be number 3...? Interesting.

congrats to my home park, Goliath in the top 10 and Mind Bender at 19!!!

Ha--I have about 32 total steel credits and while I thought Mindbender was a fine ride, if it's the 19th best steel coaster in the world then I might be in for boat loads of disappointment as I pursue my credits over the next couple of years.

The thing I don't like is that Disney doesn't really get any respect in this. Most of the people voting have been to at least one Disney park, if not more, and experienced their world class shows and rides. The fact that most pople don't vote more for any of the parks is astonishing because they really deserve more credibility in this. If half of those people had been to say, TDS, it would've gotten placed somewhere very high (if not beating CP). I just find it amazing in the lack of judgement in (most, not all of) the voters.

^

Well if their is one group of individuals that could care less about this poll, it's everyone at Disney. Disney will still get everyone and their grandmother to come to their parks whether they get respect from this AT poll or not.

But I do agree that they should have better ranking in the Golden Tickets.

Disney is number one in total theme park entertainment, period. They don't need opinion polls to prove that. They have tens of millions visitors each year that happily dump their entire wallets and purses at the park. Cedar Point only wishes they were anywhere near Disney calibur entertainment.

congrats to my home park, Goliath in the top 10 and Mind Bender at 19!!!

Ha--I have about 32 total steel credits and while I thought Mindbender was a fine ride, if it's the 19th best steel coaster in the world then I might be in for boat loads of disappointment as I pursue my credits over the next couple of years.

SFOG is my home park too. I also LOVE mind bender. This coaster really must grow on you. It wasn't until the end of last season that I started loving it and I have been going to SFOG for ten years. Now it is tied with Goliath as my fifth favorite steel and I have been on about 75 steel coasters. Thats pretty good for a ride under 100 ft.