TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Too bad it won't be a coaster. I was hoping for a B&M for them.

As much as I want a new coaster, we need a water park expansion more than that right now. Valleyfair has probably the worst water park in the Cedar Fair chain. The last time it got new slides was in the 90's, so I think it's really been neglected. Soak City did get a wave pool in 2009, but still...

^ VF Definitely needs a water park upgrade, it is the worst in the CF chain and with the removal of the IMAX theater last year it just screams that 2015 is the year for the water park expansion. With 2016 being the park's 40th anniversary year it is the year the park will probably get a new coaster to celebrate this milestone. With Camp Snoopy, Route 76 and probably the water park expansion in 2015 you can show off and have people check out all these new recent additions with a big draw like a new coaster. Patience is the key with all the moves VF has made in the last 2 years to prepare for these additions.

On Saturday, June 7th, Valleyfair will once again be taking part in the Coasting for Kids charity event benefiting Give Kids The World. Event details are below. TPR is also supporting this great cause and will have a team of riders participating! Want to join in on the fun? To learn more, head on over to our Coasting for Kids 2014 thread!

Registration time: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. registration and breakfast at the front gate

Event time: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Marathon will take place on: Renegade and WildThing

Meal: 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. meal vouchers

Awards ceremony time and location: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - location TBD

Additional itinerary details: Register by May 31 to receive complimentary parking. Vouchers will be provided for lunch to redeem at participating food locations.

Regular park operating hours: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Prizes: 1st place: Four (4) tickets and 50 Beagle Bucks (valued at $229.96)

2nd place: Two (2) tickets and 25 Beagle Bucks (valued at $114.98)

3rd place: Give Kids The World gift basket

^ VF Definitely needs a water park upgrade, it is the worst in the CF chain and with the removal of the IMAX theater last year it just screams that 2015 is the year for the water park expansion. With 2016 being the park's 40th anniversary year it is the year the park will probably get a new coaster to celebrate this milestone. With Camp Snoopy, Route 76 and probably the water park expansion in 2015 you can show off and have people check out all these new recent additions with a big draw like a new coaster. Patience is the key with all the moves VF has made in the last 2 years to prepare for these additions.

I think you're probably right. Makes sense, anyway. Cedar Fair loves giving parks big attractions for their anniversaries, so no use in giving them a coaster the year before it, and then slides for their 40th!

I think you're probably right. Makes sense, anyway. Cedar Fair loves giving parks big attractions for their anniversaries, so no use in giving them a coaster the year before it, and then slides for their 40th!

Since when did Cedar Fair focus on bringing big attractions on anniversaries?

Canada's Wonderland 30th anniversary (2011) - WindSeeker (with Leviathan built the year after)

Carowinds 40th anniversary (2013) - Dinosaurs Alive!

Cedar Point 140th anniversary (2010) - Shoot the Rapids

Dorney Park 130th anniversary (2014) - New water slide

Kings Island 40th anniversary (2012) - Soak City (Boomerang Bay renovation)

Knott's Berry Farm 70th anniversary (2010) - Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular

Worlds of Fun 40th anniversary (2013) - New water slides

In case you don't understand this list for whatever reason, this is a list of the recent "decade anniversaries" of Cedar Fair parks. I see no coasters in this list.

Ok, maybe not every anniversary. Some, though...

Examples? Looking at the anniversary list above, anniversaries seem to have no effect on the parks choosing what rides will come.

Not to mention what Kings Dominion is adding this year for their 40th anniversary. Renames and paint.

Renames and repaint are nice and all, but nothing to the extent of a B&M coaster that people are discussing here.

^

Yeah, decade anniversaries don't really have any effect on when a park decides to build new coasters. Wild Thing did open for Valleyfair's 20th anniversary, but for the most part, the year makes no difference. Still, I'd say that 2016 is a year where a new coaster for Valleyfair is definitely possible.

Examples? Looking at the anniversary list above, anniversaries seem to have no effect on the parks choosing what rides will come.

Not to mention what Kings Dominion is adding this year for their 40th anniversary. Renames and paint.

Renames and repaint are nice and all, but nothing to the extent of a B&M coaster that people are discussing here.

I don't think that the anniversary year is the reason that VF will get a new coaster. I am just saying it will be a nice marketing tie that CF will use because the timing is right. The reason I think VF will get a new coaster in 2016 is that the last major coaster or thrill ride was Renegade in 2007 and from the opening of the park through that time the park added a coaster or thrill ride every 5 years and now it has been a span of nine 9 years since a major coaster or thrill ride has been added. The park is over due. I would say 2015 but it's obvious with the demolition of IMAX it will be a year for a much needed water park expansion I am also taking Brian Witherow (Cedar Fair's CFO) on his word when he presented at the recent UBS Global Media & Communications Conference in 2013 and said, "...the chain sees three parks as having room for significant growth, Carowinds, Valleyfair, and California's Great America..."

Valleyfair finally changed their construction cam for Route 76 to an angle that we can now actually see the construction progress. They also tweeted this morning, "Northern Lights track pieces are heading to Valleyfair. Updates and photos coming soon." With the last week of temperatures not being below zero they have really started to get this project moving.

344666027_Route76Construction.thumb.jpg.bb65925c5d8809f30a3ee9b73dca1bb0.jpg

The new construction cam angle.

^

Looks great. I'm excited to see what the finished project will look like this May. Pipe Scream at Cedar Point has been going up relatively fast, so I'd expect Northern Lights to do the same.

Also, this is kind of an "out-of-the-blue" topic, but everyone on here seems to want to have Excalibur go soon to make room for a new coaster in 2016 or beyond. Am I the only one that would be sad to see Excalibur go? I think it is the most underrated coaster at Valleyfair. It has some good positive G's in some spots, and it also has once nice pop of ejector air. Excalibur is fairly unique, as very few other models of this coaster type exist. While it isn't smooth as glass, I don't think it's nearly as rough as everyone makes it out to be. Also, whenever all the other coasters have 45+ minute waits, I know I can go to Excalibur and wait no more than 5 minutes. However, two things I dislike about it are that it's relatively short (about 30 seconds from drop to brake run), and that it's closed during ValleyScare.

If Valleyfair does end up removing Excalibur for a new coaster, they would probably have to buy some extra land near it because I have a hard time believing that even a small B&M could fit in that area.

Just my thoughts...

37648701_Excalibur_backside(1).jpg.c880fef23cf130e4447436fdd8de4cca.jpg

Picture from Wikipedia

Am I the only one that would be sad to see Excalibur go? I think it is the most underrated coaster at Valleyfair.

I would really miss it! It's old school, and really isn't rough. It just throws you around a bit. I found Maverick to be a more painful experience.

Also, whenever all the other coasters have 45+ minute waits, I know I can go to Excalibur and wait no more than 5 minutes.

This is why people think it should go

If Valleyfair does end up removing Excalibur for a new coaster, they would probably have to buy some extra land near it because I have a hard time believing that even a small B&M could fit in that area.

I think they already own more land back there. Plus if they reworked that entire area (the path up to Thunder Canyon and Ex) they could make room.

Valleyfair sent out the tweet this morning of, "First track piece of Northern Lights made it to New York. Next stop, Valleyfair!" with no picture.

Source:

They also changed the angle of the construction cam to focus on the area where Northern Lights will be built and not on the loading station for the Antique Cars like before.

Construction.thumb.jpg.ce76423247013c070340d497205d7af7.jpg

A shot of the new angle. The track may be on the way but with snow last night winter is still here.

Less than 10 weeks until opening day, and still no word on even if trees and trashcans will take the former place of the scrambler yet. It's also somewhat interesting to note about Cedar Point's late announcement of the slingshot. Whether that means anything...

^ My guess is that the new pretzel palace called "Auntie Anne's" will go where the Scrambler was. If you look at the VF website it indicates that Auntie Anne's will be located 'near the carousel' which that spot is. It also makes sense because that is right next to the Cinnabon shop so water and electricity is already right next door to that spot and would be easy to extend. This is only a guess though, I have no information at all about it. I would take a Sling Shot ride there for sure but I am always about new rides. Maybe they could surprise us but I doubt it. A Sling Shot could easily fit in where the Amphitheater sits now and with that not being on the park map the last 2 years you have to imagine something will replace it in the next 2-3 years. We'll see what happens.

The webcam has moved to the right a little bit. Not much has changed, especially on the AA station. Still, with spring coming, and the Northern Lights track arriving soon, I'd expect more progress to made soon.

nph-jpeg.thumb.jpg.c8c477898e58b50ce699238fc5af88f8.jpg

Valleyfair just posted some Route 76 construction pictures to their Facebook page. Finally, some real progress! The construction cam is down so my guess is they had to take down the cam because it was mounted on something that needed to be moved temporarily so they can move the Northern Light train and track pieces into that area. Below are two of the five pictures they posted.

60867009_DiskoCoaster1.jpg.9a8d5f88fd8d2bafde3c9c60404614b3.jpg

Northern Lights loading station.

555530066_DiskoCoaster2.jpg.38748565b1116b811a90398ad1f99b6e.jpg

Another shot.

Valleyfair posted pictures of the Northern Lights track that arrived yesterday via their Facebook account this morning. The pictures are below. They have 7 more weeks to get it done before opening. Nice to see more progress towards that.

1776719399_Track1.jpg.e8a9df56279661603f0c7ff3bf470fe2.jpg

Track piece in the parking lot.

903107707_Track2.jpg.43bd1c5d7e6f24d6d3a9828f9d876e41.jpg

More pieces.

1264707521_Track3.jpg.8c9e8a2b79759ce650406b6e0e18c376.jpg

Supports inside the park.

^

It's about time. I'd expect it to be ready in time for opening day since Disk'O coasters don't take too long to get ready (Pipe Scream at CP has been going up relatively fast).

Also, would anyone know if they have started moving Scrambler and Tilt-a-Whirl over to R76? I wouldn't know because it isn't visible on the webcam, and I haven't been able to drive by Valleyfair lately since I don't live in the metro area.

^ Scrambler and the Tilt-O-Whirl spots have been empty since last fall as shown by the winter pictures below. VF has indicated via Facebook and Twitter that those rides are being restored and having LED lighting packages put on them but I have not seen them make an appearance yet in Route 76. When I drove by the park a couple weeks after closing last fall I saw they had the Steel Venom queue line all removed and the concrete was cut out at that same end to accommodate the Tilt-O-Whirl going there. Since this end is where they are moving all the parts and equipment in and out of the park for Route 76 I expect the Tilter to be the last ride in place. To me it will be interesting to see how they re-do the Steel Venom queue line with all the new rides taking up more space in this area of the park.

Tilter.jpg.d74a880ea92c5212e047600534665eed.jpg

Space where the Tilt-O-Whirl was.

Scrambler.jpg.b6e4a339f6e693e2ad6678dd6a7c7b72.jpg

Place where Scrambler was and my guess as to where they will be building the new Auntie Anne's Pretzel palace.