TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Gmaster, if you go back a few pages Robb and Traincrossin sort of explain how the rotation works.. Hope this helps as to why one side in the animation may have seemed to spin faster.

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

by robbalvey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:24 pm

traincrossin wrote:

^The cars can spin freely and the crazinesses is really determined by the weight distribution in each car.

Exactly...one of the flaws of the ZacSpin is basically that if you end up with too good of weight distribution you may end up with a slightly tamer ride. I will say though that this is only a slight flaw as I don't think I had a bad ride on INSANE, but the other model Zac Spin I did get a few "meh" rides on where it didn't spin at all.

It's entirely possible that you'll wait two hours in line...and get a crappy ride...whereas the guy behind you in line will get an OMFGWTFOMFG ride on it. But really, that's kind of the same thing that goes for any spinning coaster.

--Robb

Be happy enough that it's the same layout as Insane...which is one of the best rides I've ever been on.

What???

I'm sorry. Is English not your primary speaking language? What part of my post did you not understand?

I believe he is in a state of disbelief on how someone with your credit status can rate this coaster so highly.

I'm pretty confident that I (someone who is close to 300 pounds) will always get an amazing ride out of this coaster.

The ride is...completely INSANE! I ranked it #16 in the world and it actually came in at #20 in the world on Mitch's poll. So there are at least other people out there who felt the same way I did.

And that is why I am so excited to see this ride get installed at SFMM. Before reading about TPR falling in love with Insane on the Scandi tour I looked at this ride as if it was the "Volare" of 4D coasters. Finding out that insane was actually INSANE, I started to get a lot more interested in this ride.

The ride has 3 very good things going for it

1. Robb loves it!

2. The voters (Mitch Hawker Poll) love it!

3. It's an Intamin!

This is great news! I can't wait to see it! America's 1st Zacspin... wish I was here to see it. Oh yeah, I'll be in Italy!

But I may be, hopefully. I wonder if the whole Zacspin thing is going to catch on and other smaller parks may consider getting one. I can definately see it work in a smaller park. Although I'm not quite sure about the capacity as it is pretty slow in terms of loading I think.

But I may be, hopefully. I wonder if the whole Zacspin thing is going to catch on and other smaller parks may consider getting one. I can definately see it work in a smaller park. Although I'm not quite sure about the capacity as it is pretty slow in terms of loading I think.

I know I've already said this, but remember that, and this is pure speculation, if Magic Mountain gets the version that runs 6 cars, each car holds 8 people. That's the equivalent of one of the Dark Knight or Tony Hawk coasters running TWELVE cars.

And while I know those aren't the highest capacity coasters either, they seem to do "ok" in parks like Six Flags Over Texas, Great Adventure, and Great America. And the max they usually run is about 8 cars?

So at worst case scenario the Zac Spin *should* be higher capacity than those rides.

--Robb

On the majority of my visits, TDK at Great America only has one train out on the transfer track, and is using the block breaks. I'm not exactly sure how many cars it uses, but, I'm certain it's capacity isn't more than 800TPPH.

The line for Dark Knight actually moves pretty fast for a wild mouse because of the moving station and the blocking on the ride. Even if the entire queue in the old theater is full, that's only around a 45 minute wait.

^Believe it or not, there is such a thing as an opinion. Robb thinks it's a really good coaster. You don't. Everybody wins.

I for one am rather excited to ride this! I've always thought of this design as the inferior of the 4th Dimension coasters (I love my X2) but from what people have been saying maybe my opinion will change!

I guess you don't know how to post without being rude...but this ride is nowhere near as good as your hyping it to be. Sorry. Eventually everyone will figure that out on their own once they ride it.

Well since you won't be riding it more for us!

...this ride is nowhere near as good as your hyping it to be. Sorry. Eventually everyone will figure that out on their own once they ride it.

This is a serious question...have you actually ridden it?

Okay, I'm sorry if somebody's already brought this up, but I'm too lazy to read like 20 pages of this.

With the Superman: The Escape revamp, with the backwards cars, I'm seeing two major problems, with the launch and the stop. The launch, you'd be thrown forward, wouldn't you? I've never been on the ride normally, so I can't tell you how much it pushes you into the back of your seat. But backwards, that would just be uncomfortable.

Same thing with the brakes. Going from 100 mph to a complete stop with just lap bars would be extremely uncomfortable, in my mind.

Is there anyone else that's worried about this, or could shed some light about the rides that I'm not mentioning?

^Based on the videos of the Tower of Terror re-do, yes, you will be thrown...forward?...when the train launches. But, if Superman's trains are like ToT2's, there will be shoulder straps to keep you from slamming your face into your knees.

When we were at SFDK in August, they were running 5 trains on Tony Hawk. 3 in the load/unload, one at the block before the lift, one on the track. It was a rather busy day in the park and the stand-by line didn't seem TOO bad. Of course, with the gold flash-pass we were on in 2 minutes. And that's only 4 people per train. So yeah, I think Robb's point about ZacSpin having a bit of a higher capacity than that is right.

With the Superman: The Escape revamp, with the backwards cars, I'm seeing two major problems, with the launch and the stop. The launch, you'd be thrown forward, wouldn't you? I've never been on the ride normally, so I can't tell you how much it pushes you into the back of your seat. But backwards, that would just be uncomfortable.

Same thing with the brakes. Going from 100 mph to a complete stop with just lap bars would be extremely uncomfortable, in my mind.

I was concerned about this when the initial talk about the backwards cars started, but now that I look and think a little more about the forces, they aren't as bad as I thought. S:TE's launch and brakes weren't very intense to begin with, and they wouldn't be very uncomfortable. If they were much more intense, and if they were just with lap bars, they'd be worse. But these new OTSRs probably make it a little less bad.

Okay, I'm sorry if somebody's already brought this up, but I'm too lazy to read like 20 pages of this.

Is there anyone else that's worried about this, or could shed some light about the rides that I'm not mentioning?

I'm pretty sure the acceleration and deceleration rates are about the same, so it wouldn't make much of a difference. Also, S-EFK will most likely be equipped with the same kind of vehicles that TOT-II is equipped with over at Dreamworld.

Anyone else curious about the mysterious lack of a PR, or any other official word, to accompany the YT video? 20+ pages later, all this discussion is still circling around one YouTube video...and nothing else.

I've had the throught actually. While I'm 95% sure that the video is legit, I'd hate to see the reaction here if some 16 year old made this for a class.

If the video was a hoax I would have honestly expected the park to contact Robb or any of the other sites that posted the video and tell them it's not legit.

Heck, I was in touch with PR yesterday for Fright Fest stuff (for MiceChat) and they didn't say anything about the video we had in our SFMM update yesterday.