TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was going to post exactly what Robb said but he beat me to it!

This was one of my favorite things about SFOG, pretty much each location was full of adult and child attractions.

At Termination Day one of the kids with us was not tall enough for Batman (she had loved Terminator and Goliath so she was very dissappointed not to ride Batman too) but her mom stood off and took her to the pretty close Goldrusher and she was a happy little girl once again.

We have to remember, too, that "family" rides is not limited to coasters. Of course, though, that's what SFMM is known for.

Even if this Roller Skater is what the park opens next year, I do hope that a spinner and/or wild mouse is in the works as well. Those are good family rides and there are a few spots in the park where they'd fit.

Eric

I received an email today from Six Flags Magic Mountain's park officials in response to the question about the Vekoma Roller Skater rumor and they tell me the *ONLY* official press release about the new coaster is as follows:

VALENCIA, CA – November 3, 2009 – Six Flags Magic Mountain announced today the addition of a family coaster to the Valencia theme park in 2010, bringing the total number of coasters to 17. Joining the world-renown collection, the new coaster will debut in early summer and be located in the northwest corner of the Park, near last season’s newest innovative thrill ride, Terminator® Salvation™: The Ride.

So what has been posted to URC is simply speculation and is nothing "official" as it doesn't reference any real news source or official industry source.

Personally, I feel that URC posting that news making it look like an official press release is very irresponsible of them and makes them even less of a credible source in my eyes.

Once again, the official word from the park is that they have not released any information about what the coaster is.

So you may all continue to speculate...

--Robb

My only thing is the oddball placement of the coaster, if it is indeed over by Deja Vu. That's a bit of a haul to take the kids for 1 ride from BBW or Thomas Town.

No, it's fantastic!

There is nothing for kids to do in that corner of the park. Elissa and I are a perfect example. Do you know how many times one of us has had to wait with Kristen while the other rides Terminator and there isn't anything for us to do with her in that corner of the park.

I think it's a great location for the ride and gives parents a kids options where there currently isn't one.

--Robb

Absolutely agreed. Who says that "Family" (or even Kid) rides have to be relegated to one section of the park? That's backwards thinking and makes absolutely no sense.

And not only just because of Terminiator, but Deja Vu as well. I have an older kid who still doesn't want to ride Deja Vu (although I'm hoping next year will be the year).

That URC is almost something I would expect on April Fool's Day...except it's November. It's pretty odd that some random article comes out "confirming" that SFMM is getting SFNO's Roller Skater without any mention of the park confirming it.

This is just another rumor to me and doesn't change what I think the park will be getting (THBS).

Not that I believe it just yet, but it makes sense to move a family coaster that you already own and aren't using to a park that could put it to better use. Why spend $7 million on a new spinning coaster when you can install a kidde coaster you already own and just need to refurb and move and get the same result? Not only would it not surprise me if it did happen, but it'd be stupid if they spent money on something new if they didn't put good rides to use.

Whatever the ride is we have to remember as said before, We don't need to have another Coaster or ride every single year. If we get an addition great if not the park is still a fun place to go with great rides. As for spoiled I'm going to use Scream! for an example. That ride in any other Six Flags park aside from SFGAdv would be a number one ride but SFMM has so many awesome coasters Scream becomes a ride you "don't have to ride" if you go. We need to realize that SFMM has enough.

Andrew "We Don't NEED a new ride every year" Iorio

Not that I believe it just yet, but it makes sense to move a family coaster that you already own and aren't using to a park that could put it to better use. Why spend $7 million on a new spinning coaster when you can install a kidde coaster you already own and just need to refurb and move and get the same result? Not only would it not surprise me if it did happen, but it'd be stupid if they spent money on something new if they didn't put good rides to use.

I agree, but it should go to a park that doesn't have a "kiddie coaster". Six Flags St. Louis is a good example, they removed their only kiddie coaster, Rockin' Roller, last year. This roller skater would be perfect for them, so why give it to a park that already has two kiddie coasters like SFMM?

^^ Funny thing... I just noticed your avatar and if this unconfirmed rumor is true then I expect you to have a ride marathon on that Roller Skater every time you head up to the Mountain.

*You just might be the first and only fanboy I know for a Roller Skater coaster* ENJOY!

^^To irritate all of the SFMM fans who had their hopes up when a 2010 coaster was rumored for SFMM, then that rumor was modified to a "family coaster", they assumed that a "family" coaster would actually be something that they could enjoy/appreciate like a wild mouse or a THBS as opposed to a coaster that's more along the lines of a kiddie coaster, so now they might actually not be getting something they can enjoy at all?

I agree, but it should go to a park that doesn't have a "kiddie coaster". Six Flags St. Louis is a good example, they removed their only kiddie coaster, Rockin' Roller, last year. This roller skater would be perfect for them, so why give it to a park that already has two kiddie coasters like SFMM?

While SFSTL may not have any "kiddie coasters", they do actually have 3 family coasters with a 42" height restriction as well as many other non-coaster kiddie rides including a dark ride.

In fact, they only have three rides (2 coasters and 1 flat ride) with a height restriction taller than 48" which already makes that park a bit more "family friendly" than SFMM.

SFMM does *need* a family ride. And if that ride ends up being a Roller Skater I really don't think that's a bad addition to the park. I mean, as someone already pointed out, Disneyland has one, and if it counts as a popular family ride there, why can't it also be a popular family ride at Magic Mountain?

Just because it's not the family ride *YOU* wanted to see installed, doesn't mean it's not a good addition to the park.

Stop being so selfish.

--Robb

My only thing is the oddball placement of the coaster, if it is indeed over by Deja Vu. That's a bit of a haul to take the kids for 1 ride from BBW or Thomas Town.

No, it's fantastic!

There is nothing for kids to do in that corner of the park. Elissa and I are a perfect example. Do you know how many times one of us has had to wait with Kristen while the other rides Terminator and there isn't anything for us to do with her in that corner of the park.

I think it's a great location for the ride and gives parents a kids options where there currently isn't one.

--Robb

Absolutely agreed. Who says that "Family" (or even Kid) rides have to be relegated to one section of the park? That's backwards thinking and makes absolutely no sense.

And not only just because of Terminiator, but Deja Vu as well. I have an older kid who still doesn't want to ride Deja Vu (although I'm hoping next year will be the year).

The thing is, SFMM already does that. Looking at the park map, the rides with the lowest height restrictions are in BBW - and under the "kids" section of the website. I don't think it's backwards thinking, especially when the attractions play off of each other, as well as relation to retail & food ops, to create the themed land of BBW - which is actually the best looking area of the entire park.

Imo, I think that after Terminator (and it's great pre-show) and the general improvments overall, that a zero themed ride that has no relationship to pre-existing attractions/food/retail, is a step backwards for the park.

Interestingly enough, the SF "family" designation - which is different than I would have guessed - only includes the coaster Canyon Blaster, but also Jet Stream and Roaring Rapids. In this context, Roller Skater by Deja Vu would fill a physical gap between RR and Jetstream, completing a family ride loop around the park. In this sense, Roller Skater would give the "family" (which I guess to SF are kids 42 inches and above) a reason to walk the entire park. So I get the theory behind this particular placement, keep families in the park longer, more exposure to retail/food/games, etc.

That corner of the park could also use some more seating. If the ride is a hit with the families like it is at Disneyland, there will be a need for something beyond standing up with shakes/fries.

^^ Funny thing... I just noticed your avatar and if this unconfirmed rumor is true then I expect you to have a ride marathon on that Roller Skater every time you head up to the Mountain.

*You just might be the first and only fanboy I know for a Roller Skater coaster* ENJOY!

I made that when I thought it world be a THBS. Well I guess I'll have to change it if it's a Roller Skater.

Andrew "Maybe I shouldn't be so conclusive" Iorio

The thing is, SFMM already does that. Looking at the park map, the rides with the lowest height restrictions are in BBW - and under the "kids" section of the website. I don't think it's backwards thinking, especially when the attractions play off of each other, as well as relation to retail & food ops

Are you kidding? Have you ever been to the park with a child under 48"? Outside of Bugs Bunny World there isn't much for a child under 48" and especially not under 42" to ride.

I would absoultely love a few more family rides sprinkled throughout the park.

Think about it, other than some games, there is not a 42" ride between Roaring Rapids and Jet Stream. And that's quite a long walk!

And if you want an attraction UNDER 42", geez, you gotta walk from the Carousel to the Scrambler.

Take a kid to the park sometime and you'll see what I mean.

--Robb

EDIT: Sorry, reading back over your post it is very confusing if you were for or against them putting kids rides near other rides.

Imo, I think that after Terminator (and it's great pre-show) and the general improvments overall, that a zero themed ride that has no relationship to pre-existing attractions/food/retail, is a step backwards for the park.

How do you know it is zero themed or has no relations to pre existing attractions?

Might want to enlighten us or let me guess, you just pulled that out of your A%$

Don't forget, SFI isn't allowed to take anything from the Six Flags New Orleans park that was built before they got there. Anything pre-SFI belongs to the City of New Orleans. Not that it's stopped them before, but now that the lease is terminated I'd assume them removing rides wouldn't be that great of a plan.

But even if they don't get the Roller Skater, SFMM should look in to something more family or child oriented do to the fact that there is very few in that category, the addition of a new mega adult attraction would create problems again and that at a time when SF is going under a bankruptcy, something really expensive wouldn't help the problem.

^^ I would think that if that Roller Skater does in fact belong to the City of New Orleans, the city would gladly make them a deal to buy it---if only to get the ride off of their hands. Why would a city want to store old amusement rides if someone is willing to buy them?

Without a doubt, we'll have all the details within a few weeks.

Eric

^^ I would think that if that Roller Skater does in fact belong to the City of New Orleans, the city would gladly make them a deal to buy it---if only to get the ride off of their hands. Why would a city want to store old amusement rides if someone is willing to buy them?

Without a doubt, we'll have all the details within a few weeks.

Eric

yeah i guess we will just have to wait. Isn't it weird how Six Flags Magic Mountain only has one coaster with a launch. I don't know I think its strange probably because I'm use to Knotts and they have three launcher coasters.

^ Just saw this on the SFMM Twitter account
The next thrill to become a Magic Mountain Coaster! This will be a "Roller Skater" type, and will be near Deja Vu! |>|>|>|>|>|>!

Andrew "You decide" Iorio

Yeah, that's fake. Please stop this nonesense and wait for an official press release.

--Robb