TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Greetings fellow coaster trekkers! I was invited to Six Flags Magic Mountain last night to the employee party for Terminator Salvation the ride. Seeing as how I owe it to myself after completing some rigorous finals, I said hells yea! So I hopped on the 110 and started my 48 mile trek north up to Santa Clarita. It was a great party, as Terminator, Déjà vu, and Dive Devil were open (Dive being $1 for charity)

I did take a few pictures while driving, and I highly recommend that NO ONE ATTEMPT DOING THAT. It is unsafe, distracts you from the road, and is dangerous. I was in gridlock traffic and did so only when the car was either stopped, or a slow enough speed to quickly stop. I’m not going to bore you all with lengthy dialogue. There isn’t much, as just the Psyclone Bay area was open…Enjoy!

What Trip in L.A. doesn’t start with traffic?

Going downtown this time of day just stinks!

There is a Ritz Carlton being built at L.A. Live

Staples Center is ready for the Finals. It’s not like anybody else is using the arena.

Taking the 101 is a longer route, but has less traffic…but keep the secret!

Going through Hollywood

Hey! Look what’s coming up!

Great view of the parking lot and the back half of CityWalk.

Closer up…

Take the truck route…less traffic

Almost there

Getting even closer

Construction closed the park’s exit off the 5…

…But it allowed me to get some great shots of the skyline from Tourney Rd. (the locals know where that is)

The sign is still visible, but it’s reign of terror over Cyclone Bay is over!

The new kid on the block meets the Vu kid one the block

Nice pop of negative G’s on this turn

And on this one

PLEASE!!! No one try to get this hat!

Pre Show 1

Trust me, there’s a train blurring through here somewhere…

The new look of Cyclone Bay at night

Déjà vu at night, It’s been pretty reliable as of late (knocks on wood)

Going through the cobra roll

And coming out of it

Dive Devil for a buck! Can’t beat that with a stick!

Great event thrown by the park, and I was honored to be there, and I’m really impressed with how the park has changed since I’ve worked there. Thanks for reading and hope all you guys out there make it out to ride this bitchin’ woodie!

I'm glad to see Deja Vu running well! Looks like a good night at the park, thanks for the pictures.

This is off topic but I was thinkin about this today, when do we normally start seeing grade stakes at the park for new attractions? I can't for the life of me remember when we started seeing them for tatsu and I really don't remember seeing them for terminator. I would imagine if the ride is of any good size we should be seeing something soon.

^ I would guess sometime in the fall. For whatever reason, I can't imagine that next year's ride will be that big, considering that 2011 will bring a major attraction to the park. As much as many people would not want one, I think a smallish spinner or mouse would be a nice fit. That would be one more family type coaster.

After 2011...bring on the BIG RIDES!

Eric

I think SFMM will do a good job on the 2011 ride, but for next year I think it will be a smaller coaster to keep moving toward the family friendly park SFMM wants. Even though I would love a big coaster every year, SFMM needs more flats and smaller roller coasters.

I think sfmm needs a nice, smooth full scale kiddie coaster. There are no relaxing rides at the park, they're either massive or jolty, they need something Ninja size that can be enjoyed by the younger crowds, and a way to have fun/relax for the older crowd.

Edit: 400th post! Dork Alert!

The Riddler's Revenge's barf bonanza can best be explained by it's forces and inversions.

What I never understood is, when I worked there, multitudes of people were barfing on rides like Ninja. I swear, we were 10-7, 10-38 way too much when I was at that ride.

Seriously, why did Ninja make so many people vomit?

Sincerely,

R.C.

The Riddler's Revenge's barf bonanza can best be explained by it's forces and inversions.

What I never understood is, when I worked there, multitudes of people were barfing on rides like Ninja. I swear, we were 10-7, 10-38 way too much when I was at that ride.

Seriously, why did Ninja make so many people vomit?

Sincerely,

R.C.

It could be because it's sorta enclosed. Other coasters you could possibly puke over the side and not get it in the train.

Am I the only one that really hopes that at least one of these next two additions is a major NON-coaster ride? Honestly, I get tired of riding coasters all day, and a nice flat ride is desperately needed by the park.

Ha! While I think it would be best if Six Flags MM would build some flat rides and a variety of rides that can appeal to all age groups (young, older), I'm going to go against all that and hope they continue to build more crazy roller coasters.

We need something like an Xcelerator or Kingda Ka.

^I think that SFMM will get that in 2011 but that's what I think. I don't think we will be getting a 500 foot monster but, I think SFMM will be trying to get the speed record back. If we get a launching coaster I'm hoping for an iSpeed type launcher where there is actually a ride after a launch not you go up you come down and you're done.

As for flats sure they need more but I think flats won't be coming anytime soon.

^Yeah 500 foot monster just doesnt sound right...600 foot monster it is! But I really do want another good launching coaster in so cal that my play pass can get me on, no way in hell I'm paying for Knott's when I don't have to for Six Flags....at the moment....

Am I the only one that really hopes that at least one of these next two additions is a major NON-coaster ride? Honestly, I get tired of riding coasters all day, and a nice flat ride is desperately needed by the park.

Yes! I definitely agree. SFMM needs flat rides! Their current collection was pretty bad, and it got even worse just recently when they removed even more of their flat rides!

I know this has been said before (and probably half the time by me) but I'd love to see an Intamin drop tower somewhere in the park. On top of the "Magic Mountain" would be very cool, and if not there I can see one squeezed into Colossus County Fair or where Freefall is (unless the 2010 coaster goes there and there isn't enough room for both).

I can see some kind of flat ride, Drop Tower or not, coming to the park either in 2010 as a small addition with the coaster, or/and in 2011 for their "major" attraction (possibly...more than one?)

I'm not even a big fan of flat rides. I rarely ride them at amusement parks, but I think SFMM definitely needs some, it'd fit in well, and it would make the park more balanced (and depending on the size, it could even help the park be more family friendly).

West of the 5, near Valencia. Coordinate 34.425567

LOL I just saw that now. Anyway the vomiting on Ninja might result from the way it sways from side to side. I know to me it's not a very thrilling ride but it is possible.

I guess that could be it.

It just confused me. Even when I worked Viper and X, I never saw that many people puke. In fact, I never saw anybody puke on those rides.

I saw a lot of other crazy things (this guy lost his prosthetic leg on X), but I never saw vomiting.

Sincerely,

R.C.

a record beating Launch Coaster without Inversions and lots of air time hills (or how about not wasting all that energy and add some inversions too)

SFMM doesn't have this type of ride making this a likely candidate for 2010/2011

pull out super man its only good for the launch anyways

it would also be nice to see a Giga coaster 300+ ft maybe 400 but this is obviously less likely as its more $$$$

a record beating Launch Coaster without Inversions and lots of air time hills (or how about not wasting all that energy and add some inversions too)

SFMM doesn't have this type of ride making this a likely candidate for 2010/2011

pull out super man its only good for the launch anyways

it would also be nice to see a Giga coaster 300+ ft maybe 400 but this is obviously less likely as its more $$$$

I stand by the ideology of destroying S:TE and building an Intamin rocket coaster in it's place. Start where the station is now. Now, we must remember that Xcelerator takes 157 feet in order to reach the top of the tower. Figuring SFMM will break a record, they will need little more than three hundred to four hundred feet in order to gain enough speed to summit the top hat, which will probably reach a height of about 470 to 480 feet. The top hat will be quite standard, although if they wanted to really freak some people out, they should turn it upside down. Anyhow, from the top hat it will drop down to the bottom of the hill back behind the Colossus County Fair games and Johnny Rocket's and then do some low-to-the-ground turning followed by a large overbanked turn over the station and queue line. From there, it should proceed back behind Log Jammer and Bucaneer and all that, still turning and getting airtime. Another overbank turnaround and it heads into the brakes and then, ultimately back to the station.

Keep in mind that I have no clue if this will ever happen, but it's what I want to see.

Estimated Stats:

Speed: 145 - 150 m.p.h.

Height: 470 ft. from station to crest, about 530 from crest to bottom of hill.

Cost: ... a lot....

Sincerely,

R.C.