TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It looks like the park is really starting to get into Halloween. Hopefully they will keep expanding on it. I'm not able to make it this year because of busy weekends with the kids. Maybe next year there will be another maze or two and I'll get there.

Anything new on the woodie?

I think the 5 bucks is a steal.....whats the big deal? Think how lucky all of you have it anyway.....you pay the regualr park admission(excluding passholders) plus 5 bucks for the mazes....depending on the park your at, you get up to 15 coasters, all the flat rides, and 3-5 haunted houses.....here in Vegas, we pay up to 40 bucks admission to the adventuredome, get the same boring a$$ houses year after year(wait, I think this year we are getting a new house) and 1 mediocre arrow looper, and a few other run of the mill flat rides......hmmmmm, I would rather be in your positions than in ours.

Frightdome is $34 and we have 3 new mazes this year. Say what you want, its still a pretty good deal compared to the other places around town where its $11 for a single trailer style haunted house.

^ Wow that hurts. I'm working Frightdome this year. So far its been fun, lots of good scares going on.

There's always room for improvement with anything of this nature, but i think its the best Halloween event we have going on in vegas these days. I do miss MGM Scream Park tho!

First of all, it has nothing to do with you.....all in the planning.....been here for 12 years, been the frightdome since they started it basically....probably just more of the same old to me.....now, you all are about to have some serious competition from Bonnie Springs Ranch, who are putting on their own halloween festival this year.....they have 5 mazes, haunted trails, haunted ghost town, and a major carnival with close to 30 rides in it, and with what I have heard, some fairly large scale ones at that, as well as a drive in style movie theatre showing classic horror movies all night long.....hopefully, this will be a serious KICK-ASS event.

Tim Burkhart had to keep you in Fright Fest somehow...I miss WCB.

---Brent

Sorry, Tim has nothing to do with the creation of the Fright Fest storyline.

The credit goes to 2 Supervisors in the Entertainment Department.

I think he's making a joke from when Tim called him "Johan" on the WCB tours!

--Robb

Robb's right, I was saying that Tim called Jahan "Johan" on the WCB tour. Reminds me of when Wes interviewed Jahan, "So Johan, what's it like to work at Six Flags Magic Mountain?"

Anywho, I'm really excited as to what I've seen. I've always enjoyed Fright Fest, and I think Jokester's Hideout is one of the best mazes I've been through! The talent was on fire last year. Can't wait to see how much this event has improved.

---Brent

Curious if the Snicker's sponsorship resulted in any changes?

And, since Weinstein is a member of the SF board, wondering why his movie label Dimension Extreme isn't part of the Fright Fest? Seems kind of a natural fit for the event.

I was wondering if there's anything I need to know before coming down next weekend involving the traffic? I've read the Old Road will be all shut down most of this month.

We are going to be staying at the Best Western there and will there just be long waits? Or a bunch of detours?

Also I'm driving from up in Oregon and does anyone know the gas prices right there at the bottom of the hill? It would help me in knowing what I'll be averaging on cost.

THANKS!!

If you are coming for the weekend, especially Fright Fest, if you plan to be at the park about 45 min before opening you should not only be fine with the Old Road traffic but probably could get in X2 or Tatsu without any lines!

--Robb

Also I'm driving from up in Oregon and does anyone know the gas prices right there at the bottom of the hill? It would help me in knowing what I'll be averaging on cost.

Well the gas prices here in town are somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.50 for regular. Factor in a healthy grapevine gouge...I'd plan on spending $4/gal if you plan to gas up at Grapevine. I doubt even the gouge would drive it that high, but if it's not, then you have a little extra cash to spend on Fright Fest wristbands.

Im not sure what you mean about this "Grapevine Gouge," prices over the grapevine are often cheaper than in the rest of LA. In Castaic, yes, they are more expensive, but in the central valley and even in fraizer park, gas is a good 20 cents cheaper per gallon than in the rest of LA.

Chris.

Gas stations on the I-5, especially between Grapevine and the 5/99 split and little ways north of that on the I-5 seem to constantly be a good 10-20% more expensive than the stations on the I-5 in Santa Clarita.

Today's gas prices info from gasbuddy.com

Santa Clarita area: $3.50/avg

Grapevine Road: $4.19/avg (immediately before "The Grapevine")

Taft Hwy: $4.49/avg (~20miles north of "The Grapevine")

It's on the north side of "The Grapevine" where you'll find the "Grapevine Gouge" because they know they have you. It's like theme parks charging $3 for a 20oz. soda I can buy for $1.50 at Wal-Mart. People will pay extra for going over the hill in confidence, especially if they last fueled up in the Sacto area. Conversely, anyone who's been driving from LA and just got over the hill would probably want to fuel up for the run to the Sacto area. So anyone traveling on the I-5 should factor this into their plans, which is what BritShady asked about. Clearly the best move if going south, if you can, is to try to make it over the hill and into Santa Clarita before filling up for the trip into the LA area.

Thanks for the info guys! It's about 3.50 up here so I'm used to those prices. I'll try to get the gas a little bit up the road before getting there and after leaving.

I was just a little worried after reading about all that road construction that I would have major issues. Thanks Robb, we planned on getting there probably an hour before the gates opened. Just gonna sit in the hotel anyway, might as well sit in the car up there I guess.

I'm just really hoping everything's kicking when we're there as we've rode everything except Tatsu. Oh yeah guess we've never been on the Sky Tower either.

Thanks, again.

If you are coming for the weekend, especially Fright Fest, if you plan to be at the park about 45 min before opening you should not only be fine with the Old Road traffic but probably could get in X2 or Tatsu without any lines!

--Robb

I'm coming in on Monday, what do you think the crowds will be like on Columbus Day (Oct 13th)?

Staying from park opening 10:30AM to 6PM.

John