TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^^Unless you've worked on the ride, read maintenence standards, been there during state inspections, and know when OSHA is going to be there, you don't have 100% certainty about anything that in depth with the ride.

And that's my point. The state isn't there EVERY DAY to make sure the ride is up to Arrows standards. You can think whatever you want, the fact is you don't know what's going on with the rides nearly as much as you'd like to think you do. You can make your own assumptions from that.

I thought Viper wasn't getting painted for another couple weeks?

I don't need to know exactly what goes on in Viper's day-to-day operation to know what is required of a park under state law. Either you are giving your opinion that the brakes need to be replaced and SFMM is still meeting the operating guidelines, or something would appear to be wrong if "the brakes need to be replaced."

Since apparently you know everything about what is going on at Viper (and the laws that govern the amusement industry in CA), please do share your information with us. It's a pretty bold statement to make to say that the "brakes need to be replaced." I am also pretty sure that the members of TPR would like to know that the ride they are going on is safe. So again, share with us these things you know. Or is it that "you don't know what's going on with the rides nearly as much as you'd like to think you do."?

PURE is exactly right, just because ride parts need to be replaced doesnt mean their going to until they break (or very very close). Parks dont have the budget to replace a lot of the expensive parts till they break.

If you think that every single part is replaced when it starts showing signs of needing to be replaced, and you think that parks dont try to do temporary [non part replacing] fixes to save money, you dont have any experience working in theme parks .

^You got me. I've never worked at a theme park in my life. I don't know anything.

There's a big difference between "needs to be replaced" and "should be replaced." It sounds like PURE was trying to say that the brakes at Viper should be replaced, not that they truly needed to be replaced. No matter how large or expensive a part is, if the manufacturer of the ride says it has to be replaced at a certain time, there is no way around it.

If the brakes at Viper are worn down, but within their operating tolerance, there's no problem. They "should" be replaced to stay ahead of the curve, but no one is breaking any rules. If they are past what Arrow deems to be the safe operating tolerance, which would mean that they "need" to be replaced, there is something fishy going on. As you the apparent amusement industry expert (and PURE, the mechanic who probably had to do some of the paperwork) should know, everything is supposed to be documented and following the manufacturers guidelines.

That's how I read the post. But PURE clarified, so I thought it was a dead issue.

Sorry, was too lazy to read the whole conversation at the time missed the should vs. need (normally you can tell its in the "need stage" when you see it SBNO )...

^ I got an e-mail from SFMM that said something about this weekend being the last time you could ride X before it goes down for its transformation. I entertained some thoughts about going, but I'm not in the mood to get beaten up!

Eric

There is currently a GIANT baby blue construction wall that runs from just right of the Goliath bathrooms to just left of Yosemite Sam Sierra falls. Construction has begun! The back half of Granny Gran Prix and the Animal Farm already have tractors and plows mowing it over.

Also, tomorrow is the last day to ride X before it goes down.

-Jahan

Wow! They are realy clearing that area out fast! I'm so looking forward to the new additions.

I was there last night paying homage to X as we know it today. Honestly, it was running fantastic and the operations were pumping those trains through dispatch. Probably one of the best rides I've ever had on it next to when it first opened. I'd even say it climbed adozen or so spaces on my steel list. I hope the renovations don't knock it back down.

After the park closed, they invited us to go ride it. I decided to pass on the opportunity. But a couple nights ago I went up there to operate it for the last time before it becomes X2.

Which honestly, I think it'll be cool. But the same ride. Which is the main reason why I passed on riding it for the 'last' time.

-Mike

^^^^Thanks! Bring on MM 2008!

Can't wait to see some diggin goin on!

I really don't see how new trains could screw X up. And I really don't wanna be proven wrong...but I'm excited to see what all the new things will bring to the park.

I was there last night paying homage to X as we know it today. Honestly, it was running fantastic and the operations were pumping those trains through dispatch. Probably one of the best rides I've ever had on it next to when it first opened. I'd even say it climbed a dozen or so spaces on my steel list. I hope the renovations don't knock it back down.

I agree with that.....I think that is the best X has ever run in the 3-4 years I have been riding it. It's always been my #1 coaster since the first time I rode it, but yesterday it was remarkably smooth and those were the best dispatch times I have ever seen. Was good to see you, Robb, Elissa and KidTums there last night.

I actually had what I think was one of the most enjoyable visits to SFMM I have ever had yesterday (a remarkable contrast to the miserable trip I had up there in October where I sat in 4+ hours of traffic to get there and waited in a three hour line for X only to have it break right before I got on). I needed to go up there anyway to get my 2008 Xtreme Pass, which I had already bought online, and when I got up and saw the kind of day it was as well as realized it was the final day for "Xv1" to be in operation, I decided to head up there for the afternoon.

Made good time, and good gas mileage in my new Saturn (first time I have driven it up to SFMM) and got there about 1:45 to find the parking lot looking pretty empty. To add to that, I saw that X, Tatsu and Scream were all running two trains.

But that wasn't the only good thing. There were some great differences in other areas besides just the rides. Every single employee I talked to or that waited on me there was courteous and helpful, from the Season Pass people, to the people waiting the counter in the Plaza Cafe where I grabbed a snack early on, to the people I asked for the time, to the ride ops. All of the ride ops I encountered-even the X ride op-were dispatching with an "Enjoy Your Ride on _____" and all the crews I saw were acting professionally, being very focused, and doing their job. The park was cleaner than I have seen it in a while, and the Christmas music and decorations were a nice touch.

While I was there, I noticed the walls up for Thomas Town, and there were crews painting Viper all day (although those paint fumes were getting a bit noxious towards the end of the day). I managed to get a total of six front row rides on X as well as two front row rides on Scream and two back row rides on Tatsu in the time I was there. I had Flash Passes, but only used one for Tatsu early on in the day.

The X crew was the most impressive, I only saw them stack once or twice the time I was there and the longest wait I had was about 20 minutes as they had "minor technical difficulties", which were fixed in less than 10 minutes. The ride itself was smooth even in the outside seat, but the first and last rides I took on the front seat/stairs side/inside seat were almost B&M smooth to me.

I talked to one ride op who mentioned that the tunnel would end up being cool, I still know nothing about it aside from the fact that I heard it is going in between the station and the lift hill. I genuinely hope that whatever they will be doing when X goes "under the knife" over the next few months is a continued improvement, and that the new trains make it even better. I'm thinking, and hoping that the third time is the charm with this one and they have finally resolved all of the issues with the trains this time. S&S, please get this one right!

Also got one last night ride in on Tatsu a couple of minutes before the park closed-that thing is absolutely insane in the back row at night!

If the park can improve on X (uptime, dispatches, and smoothness) even more with the rehab, and they keep up the good customer relations I saw yesterday, I will be spending a lot more time there this coming year than I have the past year.

^ Glad to hear you had a great time at the park! Every time I go up to X I'm always amazed at how fast that crew works. There's a sense of urgency, something that I feel lacks in lot of the other crews around the park.

The only thing I can think of is that its easier to work that ride while working at a fast pace. I remember checking seats there and its a lot easier if you find yourself a groove to work in. Rather than being slow and sloppy. Either way, the X crew is awesome.

-Mike

At least they're not going to touch Fort Le John!

Haha, agreed! Its too bad they removed Yosemite Sam and the cannon that was in front of it...never understood why.

Also got one last night ride in on Tatsu a couple of minutes before the park closed-that thing is absolutely insane in the back row at night!

Oh man that was the first seat I sat in on Tatsu the first time I rode it and its still my favorite. Pretzel loop in the back is the most intense seat on the ride!

^On my last visit to MM (the day after Thanksgiving) Tatsu was running 2 stations and 2 trains, which improved capacity a lot. I'd say a train was leaving every 3 minutes, and sometimes they'd dispatch one right after another, which slowed the speed of the train on the lift until the other train had hit the safety's.

I just wanted to echo what everyone has said about X. Most people here know that I am not a fan of the ride, but even when I'm not a fan I'll give something props when it's due. I've ended up having to ride X about 15 times over the past 3 months, which is more than I've probably ridden it in the past 3 years just because it's gotten so rough.

Oddly enough, it's probably been running the best it's been since it opened for those rides, which I find ironic only because I'm sure part of the reason why they decision to get the new trains is because the old ones were just so brutal.

But for whatever reason it's been running great recently! While it's still far from being my favorite ride in the world, I really didn't mind riding it last night or the other times I've had to ride it over the past 3 months.

--Robb "I just hope the new trains keep it running as good as it has been recently" Alvey

X was amazing this weekend. The park was really slow both days. I rode X 13 times on Saturday, and 28 times on Sunday. The lines we're so short on Sunday, that they almost removed the second train on X. It was my first time at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I'll bet I never find lines this short again.

X was very smooth on some rides, and pretty rough on others. I think the new trains should fix that. I can't wait to come back and ride it again.

It's been at least two years since I rode X. I really did give some thought to going out to SFMM this past weekend to give it one more try. From the reports I've heard here, I should have.

I will get out there to get my 2008 Xtreme Play Pass sometime in January, I'm sure.

Eric

This is probably going to turn out to be a bad thing. I can just imagine when X reopens all the people who will be saying, "It was good, but not as amazing as it was right before it closed" I really hope that doesn't happen, though.