TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Well, with flash back being torn down. It really did sucked. I am hoping for a new flat ride, that will bring some people into that area of the park. No one knows that area, well general public doesn't, but it would be very nice to see a decent flat at magic mountain for once. also with the woodie, hopefully they can get a new woodie in their, since they are family friendly, but you never know. I personaly I'm hoping for a kid land, some good flats, a euro fighter, or even a small but good woodie, for the family. Just a thought, o well.

^^ Maybe Golden Kindgom wasn't a good example, im just talking about a thing that doens't revolve around ONLY little kids, but somthing that appeals to little kids as well as the rest of the family.

Looney Toons is a good example. Eveybody loves them!

Why shouldn't there be play areas revolved around little kids? The biggest criticism shrouding Magic Mountain is that it is completely revolved around and too narrowly focused on thrill rides for young adults and teens, with hardly anything else for other age demographics to do. I do understand what you're trying to say, but you need to see things on a bigger perspective.

For most parents, the joy from watching their 6 or 7 year old have the time of their life with entertainment characters brought to life from the screen is worth the admission ticket to a large amusement park.

By bringing in Thomas & Friends as Wiggles World themed areas IN ADDITION to Looney Tunes areas, Six Flags is capitalizing on the most important thing that drives a family-oriented theme park business...attention and focus on the younger set. Why should mom and dad stick around and spend lots of money on souvenirs, cotton candies, stuffed animals, and custom-made apparel if their little tykes are bored because they rode everything in Bugs Bunny World within 20 minutes? These new themed areas prolong the stay of families with younger children, which is extremely vital and important to developing Six Flags as a family-brand.

Once both ends are evened out at Magic Mountain...I can see Six Flags begin to work on the "ENTIRE-FAMILY" spectrum with what they're doing at Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags Over Texas --- a family spinning-coaster or a Cirque-style show. Because at this point, Magic Mountain is completely geared at the thrill-seeking community, and a Wiggles World and Thomas & Friends may just do the trick to level things out.

Actually, The Golden Kingdom would be awesome for Magic Mountain. I'd say take out Baja Ridge for it. A re-theme of X, coupled with an jungle-themed "Curse of the Dark Castle" would be spectacular. This section would have something for everyone. X could serve as an anchor coaster, with a ton of kid rides, some non toddler swatting tigers (take that Disney!, ours merely maul you to death!), and a dark ride. I think would be a huge step in this park's turnaround. I'd say they should scrap the Viper and Flashback together and recycle the metal for a new coaster elsewhere (mmm...Dive Machine).

I'd also look into buying the flats Disney plans on gutting from DCA. The Orange Stinger and Sun Wheel would be nice additions to the former Psyclone Bay. Slap a GCI there and make a Paradise Pier-lite. Disney may even sell them cheap.

It always kinda sucks to see coasters go. These one's i don't care about at all, so i don't really find it all that sad.

Flashback was obvious. It's been SBNO for almost 4 years now. If they wanted to do something, it would've been done a while ago. As for Psyclone, it was getting around that time to scrapping it. It just sucked. On top of that, there was poor maintenance on it and it had incredibly low ridership (along with Flashback when it was open).

It's a smart move on their part because it creates space for expansion. It also proves that the park IS turning around and that Shapiro really does want to transform every park. I guess he does see potential in this park after all.

I remember when Flashback was Z Force in Georgia, it was ok when I was a kid back then. But Now as an Adult, it is quite lame so I have no hard feelings for it............ Psyclone is total garbage and way too rough, I just don't understand that huge un-comfortable jolt leading into the 4th hill around that fan turn.

Finally SFMM is gona get some needed action!! I do agree that SFMM has to many coasters for its own good. I think this is a great move and will help improve SFMM! Definetly a step in the right direction. As much as my heart was for Flashback I am glad to see it finally get put to rest instead of seeing it sit there rusting away! Like an old dog with severe arthritis and many other problems that would be better off put to sleep. With Psyclone and everyone saying how much it sucks and how unpopular it is, I think they will be better off tearing it down then giving it a major overhaul because one thing I know.. change is good!!! Plus in the long run I do think this will be more profitable for Six Flags! It will make room for something better that will attract a new crowd with a fresh new look! Good move Shapiro!!

I think this is definitely a step in the right direction for the park. While I didn't think Psyclone was *that* bad...it definitely wasn't *good*...I'm sure that the land could be used in a much better way. And it's great that they're finally getting Flashback out of there, instead of letting it sit there and rot.

And I agree with Mark regarding a family area that appeals to more than just little kids. The Nickelodeon area at Carowinds comes to mind. There were plenty of things that appealed to very little kids, like little boats or cars that go in circles, a little swing set etc. Then they had stuff that appealed to lots of people, like a small woodie, a set of flyers, the cycle helicopters, the Flying Dutchman's ride, the samba balloons...rides like that keep little kids in the park as well as give adults and teens quality rides that aren't coasters. That type of area is what I think Magic Mountain sorely needs....an area that is geared to *families*, not just *children*.

-Julie

Actually, The Golden Kingdom would be awesome for Magic Mountain. I'd say take out Baja Ridge for it. A re-theme of X, coupled with an jungle-themed "Curse of the Dark Castle" would be spectacular. This section would have something for everyone. X could serve as an anchor coaster, with a ton of kid rides, some non toddler swatting tigers (take that Disney!, ours merely maul you to death!), and a dark ride. I think would be a huge step in this park's turnaround. I'd say they should scrap the Viper and Flashback together and recycle the metal for a new coaster elsewhere (mmm...Dive Machine).

I'd also look into buying the flats Disney plans on gutting from DCA. The Orange Stinger and Sun Wheel would be nice additions to the former Psyclone Bay. Slap a GCI there and make a Paradise Pier-lite. Disney may even sell them cheap.

Ahh a good old B&M Dive Machine. We need one of those.

I agree with USRoadTripper, SFMM is in desperate need of a family portion of the park. I think that it is good to focus on kids but everything can't be the wiggles or Thomas. They need an area that there can be rides that the whole family will ride together. I was never able to get a ride on Flashback but Pysclone is a mess. In my opinion it needs to go and it is a great move by Mark.

Whoa! What weird news to hear in 12 hours!

First off, I agree with kraxleridah... I think reutilizing Metro will work best. I mean, they already have the stations and everything. Cool, another easy way to get halfway up Samurai Summit!

Psyclone... thanks. You're toast. I got the credit... my husband got the credit and broke his neck... good riddance.

As for Flashback... I still had a little hope that I could still get the credit someday, but... I was about a year too late. At least it won't sit there and torture me anymore.

It'll be good to see something new in both areas. I don't care what they put by Flashback, anything will make the area better.

It would be cool for the kids if the Thomas area went in Cyclone Bay, but...

Psyclone's area.... hmm... BRING BACK SHOCKWAVE!!!! ROFL!! ;

-Amanda "Whatever they do, I'm glad to finally see change at SFMM" V.

I guess this is a good move by Six Flags, but I never got to ride. Which I don't know if thats a good thing or bad thing but I've heard from people that they weren't that great of rides. Monorail sounds good to me. I just hope I get up there to the Mountain as soon as I can.