TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Let me join in on the praise for this ride. I did the filming yesterday and it was INCREDIBLE.

My thighs are literally sore from getting slammed into the lapbar due to all the airtime (I got in over 20 rides.... Not necciaarilly by choice...) There is no moment on this ride that didn't blow away my expectations, and the dueling aspect brings SO much to the table.

They really are trying to get the timing right for dueling. It's of course going to be very difficult, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt until it actually opens.

The rides seems like a backseat ride to me, but I kept being chosen to be put in rows 3-5, so I couldn't honestly tell you, but it's still great in the front!

Lol. That's me. I lost my wallet on the ride. Oops. Honestly, though, I have never been on a ride that is so willing to fling your stuff like that! I thought a back pocket wallet would be safe! Guess not.

20? dammit. i got 16, maybe 17, that last one threw me off if it was 16 or 17. 30 for the two days. really wanted more. sorry you lost your wallet, did they find it for you?

rows 3-5, guess you're too pretty, so they want you on camera.

as far as dueling, i'll say again, i hope it can happen occasionally. but after two days of seeing how fast it needs to happen, man, i really don't see how it will happen too often. if they can slow the green way down, slower than it was the last two days when it did duel. or speed up blue it sure would help. while the ride is world class without dueling, it's so much fun with it. especially with two train loads of enthusiasts that are having a great time.

i wouldn't mind if they made you not take one thing with you and you had to get a locker or something. like MF or TTD at cedar point. i'm sure that would definitely help. but to me, as soon as one person walks across the train to leave anything, the hope is gone.

oh, and the RMC guys were just messing with the side art stuff on purple on monday, then blue on tuesday. they ran all 3 for the employees on sun. someone told me they asked about the 4th train and the RMC guy told him it was there already in the shed. not sure if that was true or not. anyone here/hear?

Let's just get this out of the way right now.

...this is the best coaster on the west coast

...I haven't ridden it yet and it hasn't even been running a week but I am an expert and I say six flags will not/can't make it duel even though I'm totally ignoring the fact that it just started running with people and it's being dialed in

...this is just another gimmick just like every coaster ever built is a gimmick in one form or another and whenever I mention a new ride is just a gimmick I fail to realize that

...nevermind the mountains of positive reviews from people that have actually been on this ride I'm going to crap all over it because I just don't think it's that great and I have not yet been on it because I am an expert on rides I have never ridden

Did I forget any? Just wanted to get those out of the way before hundreds of pages go by with that nonsense.

Personally I'm loving what positive things you guys are saying about it and I can't wait to ride it later this year.

My own and only comment:

"It just looks amazing!"

So, with this and Wicked Cyclone opening, does this mean that coaster enthusiasts will now anticlimactically have the five steel Rocky Mountain coasters in their top five in some order?

So, with this and Wicked Cyclone opening, does this mean that coaster enthusiasts will now anticlimactically have the five steel Rocky Mountain coasters in their top five in some order?

Honestly, yes I see at least a few people having that. I think WC is gunna threaten my #1 spot and this may be up there as well!

...I haven't ridden it yet and it hasn't even been running a week but I am an expert and I say six flags will not/can't make it duel even though I'm totally ignoring the fact that it just started running with people and it's being dialed in

...this is just another gimmick just like every coaster ever built is a gimmick in one form or another and whenever I mention a new ride is just a gimmick I fail to realize that

...nevermind the mountains of positive reviews from people that have actually been on this ride I'm going to crap all over it because I just don't think it's that great and I have not yet been on it because I am an expert on rides I have never ridden

Did I forget any? Just wanted to get those out of the way before hundreds of pages go by with that nonsense.

Personally I'm loving what positive things you guys are saying about it and I can't wait to ride it later this year.

My own and only comment:

"It just looks amazing!"

For the last time, dueling IS an important factor on this ride. It's totally appropriate to be frustrated if they don't get that figured out. People who doubt the park's ability to get it racing are coming to that conclusion based on three factors:

1) The park has been struggling with this even for their media events, and when people aren't even getting on and off the train,

2) Even with three trains, any park would be hard-pressed to maintain 30-second dispatches, especially when a guest pulling the lap bar down creates a delay, and

3) The park has a track record of terrible operations over the years.

It's perfectly reasonable to not hold your breath on the dueling, and it's also perfectly reasonable to be irritated if it doesn't happen.

My own and only comment:

"It just looks amazing!"

For the last time, dueling IS an important factor on this ride. It's totally appropriate to be frustrated if they don't get that figured out. People who doubt the park's ability to get it racing are coming to that conclusion based on three factors:

1) The park has been struggling with this even for their media events, and when people aren't even getting on and off the train,

2) Even with three trains, any park would be hard-pressed to maintain 30-second dispatches, especially when a guest pulling the lap bar down creates a delay, and

3) The park has a track record of terrible operations over the years.

It's perfectly reasonable to not hold your breath on the dueling, and it's also perfectly reasonable to be irritated if it doesn't happen.

Well...if it is not going to DUEL I better not go on it! Oh Brother.

Before the fanboys unleash their wrath against me for being skeptical, allow me to quote myself from a few pages back

*Disclaimer - I am still excited about this ride. I just think the failure to duel is a legitimate problem*

I think the park would solve the problem by jacking admission 3$ more and doing free lockers before the loading station like x2 but not in the beginning of the queue so you can have your precious iPhone up until like boarding. I think people will gladly pay more for admission to have a shorter wait time for rides. Or maybe make a season pass add-on for lockers so you just scan your card and get a locker.

IMO, if the trains don't duel, it's not a huge loss. The coaster itself is so great that even when the ride was dueling, the only thing I could focus on was the ridiculous amounts of airtime I was experiencing. The dueling adds to the experience, but doesn't really take much away when it doesn't duel.

Edited by X2coasterfreak

Before the fanboys unleash their wrath against me for being skeptical, allow me to quote myself from a few pages back

*Disclaimer - I am still excited about this ride. I just think the failure to duel is a legitimate problem*

I like that...fanboys. That is funny. I think in more case than not TC will not duel because of the GP being dumb during the loading process.

IMO, if the trains don't duel, it's not a huge loss. The coaster itself is so great that even when the ride was dueling, the only thing I could focus on was the ridiculous amounts of airtime I was experiencing. The dueling adds to the experience, but doesn't really take much away when it doesn't duel.

Exactly. Instead of getting irritated just treat dueling as a bonus (like a roll back on YOLOcoaster). Not everyone gets one but when you do its awesome.

I like that...fanboys. That is funny.

That word used to have a meaning. Now it's just used by angry people who are angry at happy people for not being angry.

Omg riiiiight!??! So true.

While I understand people's frustration with the racing issue, PLEAS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GIVE IT A REST! Can't we just wait till its first full weekend of regular operation to spend pages bashing? I have such a love/hate relationship with this thread... Ugh...

Y'all are not understanding me.

I am thrilled about this ride. I can't wait for it to open this weekend, and I will definitely be riding it all day. The reason I used the term "fanboys" was because some of you don't seem to think a person can be disappointed about an aspect of a ride and still like it. It's not because I don't want you to be happy (I'm overall happy about the ride too). The fanboy alarm starts going off in my mind when people start saying you aren't allowed to say anything negative.

All I've said is that it appears unlikely dueling will be the norm, and that i'm disappointed by that. If that's "bashing" the ride in your mind, I think you're a bit too defensive. It didn't become a multi-page battle until someone decided that it's not okay to be disappointed, and it's not okay to be skeptical about the dueling. You don't have to agree with me about the importance of the dueling element of the ride, but to say anyone who takes issue with it is out of line is ridiculous.

As I said before, I'm so glad CA finally has an airtime machine.

^ I don't think it's necessarily about their groove, I think (like what jtaudio said) it's about the dispatches needing to be too quick for the trains to match up at the lift. The only way I see that working is if the green chain can be slowed down A LOT more than it was for the two days of filming, and the blue chain sped up a lot to meet with the green-side train. If you were at the filming (I was both days), you can see how hard it was for them to get it to align... and that's with them TRYING their best AND no one getting off the train. Even adding a 3rd train doesn't mean they have more time to dispatch, they still need to turn it around quickly.

The ride is amazing even without the dueling, but it really makes it extra special when it does duel. Will it duel in the real world when you have the GP taking their time and not feeling rushed (like at the film shoots)? It's highly doubtful. Or at best, rarely. Is the ride amazing without dueling? Hell yes!

Edited by ioio

The only way I see that working is if the green chain can be slowed down A LOT more than it was for the two days of filming, and the blue chain sped up a lot to meet with the green-side train.

Which is not only completely possible, but probably also easy as fuck to set up.

I'll put my .02 in.

I got in 14 rides yesterday during the commercial shoot. My thighs have since recovered.

Fantastic ride. Major ejector airtime. All of the major elements (High-5, Zero-G, Top Gun Stall) are absolutely world class. The minor elements (negative banked turns, minor bunny hills) are also world class. (FORGET the bunny hills leading up to the lift hill - bad gimmick) But, without the dueling, it loses a lot of its appeal to me. Seeing the other train during the elements not only adds excitement, but once you see the other train, you lose your sense of orientation. That's what makes the ride, IMO.

As for the dueling, it will have to be 3 trains for it to be totally effective. Dueling on only one pass (which we did all day ((well, 8 out of 14 rides)) with the 2 train operation) made the other half of the ride seem lackluster.

Yes, TC is full of "World Class" elements, but without the dueling, it's just 2, very short, but very intense coasters, separated by a lift hill.

Seriously, I would rate the ride:

No Dueling - 7

Dueling - 8.4

I hope to get on it again soon, with 3 trains, dueling on both trips around. (Though, at this time, I do doubt the ability to do that.)

JJ