TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

...THEY JUST MIGHT NEED TO OFFER THE GUESTS AND EMPLOYEES IN THE QUEUE AREA AND SHOPS EAR PROTECTION AS ITS LOUD AS HECK THERE ALREADY.... Also the Food Etc restaurant area has been pretty much gutted as was looking for a Turkey Leg Saturday and it was no mas... and only offer was Ben & Jerry.

There was a time in the past where not "everything" opened during the summer.

Goliath opened in February, X opened in January, Superman re-opened last March.

SFMM is a year-round park so it's quite possible they could open up something in early 2013. Heck, they could even do it late 2012. Open it up on "End of the World" day or something as well.

X opened in January due to problems that prevented it from opening the previous year and Goliath I imagine was opened early so that it could be the fastest coaster in the world for a little while before Millenium Force took the title for a few months.

I think that if they put a post apocalyptic ride in where Deja Vu was they could retheme that corner of the park and it would be a really great marketing move to open a end of the world themed ride or area on the supposed day on which the world will end.

Does anyone know the prices for Dive Devil? I might actually try to ride that this year at WCB.

Last time I've checked:

Depends on how many people you want to "dive" with. Single is at least $40+. Triple is either $20 or $25 per person. Double is somewhere in between. Ask around for a generous passholder who won't go on Dive Devil to buy your tickets for you and they can use their buy one ride get one ride free. Two back to back rides are always nice!

[Edit]: They had this discount in the 2011 coupon books, they haven't given me my 2012 book yet.

...THEY JUST MIGHT NEED TO OFFER THE GUESTS AND EMPLOYEES IN THE QUEUE AREA AND SHOPS EAR PROTECTION AS ITS LOUD AS HECK THERE ALREADY.... Also the Food Etc restaurant area has been pretty much gutted as was looking for a Turkey Leg Saturday and it was no mas... and only offer was Ben & Jerry.

I agree. I have to cover my ears every single time I walk under Superman.

As for Food Etc. being supposedly gutted...was it really? I was at Magic Mountain the same day you were and I saw quite a few people in there eating.

It is $20 per person for 3 people, $25 per person for 2 people, and $30 for one person.

Makes sense for double and triple. Are you sure single is that cheap?

I guess the answer is just come prepared with wads of cash in hand.

I agree. I have to cover my ears every single time I walk under Superman.

As for Food Etc. being supposedly gutted...was it really? I was at Magic Mountain the same day you were and I saw quite a few people in there eating.

Yes people in there were either hanging out or eating fries from the french fries kiosk or eating ben n jerrys

I went in there to get a coke on Sunday and didn't even notice. Interesting.

As for the Dive Devil "Buy one get one" coupon, it's in the 2012 book as well.

No, I got mine at the park on Sunday.

And yes, it's getting thinner and thinner, and the coupons are getting suckier and suckier. I don't think we used any last year.

I remember in the 90's you'd get at least 2 free parking passes, 3-4 free friends (valid on ANY day) and a whole bunch of other really good ones.

I went in there to get a coke on Sunday and didn't even notice. Interesting.

As for the Dive Devil "Buy one get one" coupon, it's in the 2012 book as well.

I started my theme park career in the store right underneath S:TE. It's annoying, but not so loud it's dangerous.

And yes, it's getting thinner and thinner, and the coupons are getting suckier and suckier. I don't think we used any last year.

I remember in the 90's you'd get at least 2 free parking passes, 3-4 free friends (valid on ANY day) and a whole bunch of other really good ones.

Exactly! To be fair, Cedar Fair doesn't offer any coupons or free friend admissions so what SF does offer is better than nothing.

I don't think it's fair to try and compare the season pass books of the 90's with the ones handed out now. First off, the passes in the 90s were actual annual passes and charged at a much higher price ($80-$100) compared to now where they're giving you an annual pass for the price of a regular day admission.

Also, now, they give you discounts on merchandise and food and you can purchase a season pass parking pass when the old passes didn't offer that.

I'd still say SFMM's passes are the best bang for your buck compared to other parks. Knott's and Universal are doing the pass for a price of a regular ticket but with no benefits (Knotts has only 10% at 3 of the parks many restuarants and stores and I swear they're the most expensive). They also charge a fortune to add the ability to be able to go to other CF parks when that is just thrown in with the SF passes (besides the water parks).

Edited by Magic Alumni

On a side note, I know everyone keeps mentioning how loud Superman and their fear of how loud it will be on the LL:DOD ride but I have a bigger concern. Has anyone looked at the tower after the car goes up and comes back down? It must sway at least 5 feet back and forth, imagine sitting in the LL:DOD car at the top of the tower and Superman goes up and you're swinging back and forth before dropping. It's going to scare the crap out of me more than the ride itself will do.

Make me wonder if the ride will be suspended on it's own and just have some basic connectors to the Superman tower for support.

The ride will be built on the side of the tower, just like the one in Australia. Structures are built with the ability to move, and the engineers at Intamin have very much determined that a drop tower can safely be built and sway with it.

I have no doubt Intamin has this covered (obviously), it should just be interesting to see how they build LL:DOD and see how the swaying affects the ride experience.

Just curious, has anyone on this board ridden the Giant Drop in Australia? Does the tower sway that much when the Tower of Terror launches? Looking at that tower, it is built different than Superman. It's a large tube tower that I believe was built to house both rides from the get go and looks much more sturdier. Superman's tower wasn't built to hold a drop ride on the side of it and is built to sway much more freely than the Tower of Terror tower. You can literally stand at the bottom of the tower and see it sway like crazy.

I don't think it's fair to try and compare the season pass books of the 90's with the ones handed out now. First off, the passes in the 90s were actual annual passes and charged at a much higher price ($80-$100) compared to now where they're giving you an annual pass for the price of a regular day admission.

Also, now, they give you discounts on merchandise and food and you can purchase a season pass parking pass when the old passes didn't offer that.

I'd still say SFMM's passes are the best bang for your buck compared to other parks. Knott's and Universal are doing the pass for a price of a regular ticket but with no benefits (Knotts has only 10% at 3 of the parks many restuarants and stores and I swear they're the most expensive). They also charge a fortune to add the ability to be able to go to other CF parks when that is just thrown in with the SF passes (besides the water parks).

The books are getting thinner, but there are about the same amount of coupons in the 2012 booklet as in the 2011 booklet, just the 2012 coupons are all half pages (except for the first one).

The ride will be built on the side of the tower, just like the one in Australia. Structures are built with the ability to move, and the engineers at Intamin have very much determined that a drop tower can safely be built and sway with it.

I have no doubt Intamin has this covered (obviously), it should just be interesting to see how they build LL:DOD and see how the swaying affects the ride experience.

Just curious, has anyone on this board ridden the Giant Drop in Australia? Does the tower sway that much when the Tower of Terror launches? Looking at that tower, it is built different than Superman. It's a large tube tower that I believe was built to house both rides from the get go and looks much more sturdier. Superman's tower wasn't built to hold a drop ride on the side of it and is built to sway much more freely than the Tower of Terror tower. You can literally stand at the bottom of the tower and see it sway like crazy.

Never been on it but as you point out the tower is a giant tube which would seem sturdier. I'm sure it moves some, it has to or it would break, probably not as much as the one at MM but the extra movement would just add to the excitement of the drop!