Photo TR: Chuck Returns to Japan with TPR--Again

Update: Nagashima Spaland
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Chuck Returns to Japan with TPR--Again

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Love it so far!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Always great to follow your travels
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Yay another Chuck report! As always, love the captions and photos that go with the story.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks for:  1) your up close and personal memories of the earthquake. VERY chilling. Kinda like virtual reality withOUT the glasses.  :wtf: (When NYC had its "huge" :lol: quake in the 80's, I recall that my parakeet screamed like a jungle beast, AND most apt dwellers - me included - were said to have feared that their "boiler rooms had exploded!"  But it was 6AM, so most went back to sleep.)  Anyhow, thanks for bringing that TPR trip moment to life!

Thanks for:  2) your captions on your pix. So droll....
Special note to:

* An octopus strikes a come-hither Deadpool pose.

* Angry children love Misaki Park.

Great report, as always!

Alice

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:15 pm

No doubt - Japan is corrupting you!

That’s not necessarily a bad thing!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Oh, Universal . . .

For years, Universal Japan was the gem of the Universal Studios parks, at least to me--possibly because Universal itself didn’t actually run the place. I’ve enjoyed past visits there; for example, in 2013, they gave TPR an interesting, honest presentation about the park’s development, along with a walking tour of the Adventures of Spider-man ride, which was in some ways cooler than actually riding it.

Well, Universal now has control over the park (but not City Walk) and is bringing more of an “Orlando” management style to the place. This is not entirely a good thing.

For example, Robb had to endure the tortures of the damned just to pick up our group’s tickets and Express Passes. He can tell the story much better than I can, but here’s a summary:

1. Two hours in a Guest Services line, which Robb had to wait in three times because the staff couldn’t find our stuff and kept sending him back to the end.

2. Stuff obtained--in a big envelope labeled “Theme Park Review (go figure)--only to discover that they’d given us the wrong Express Passes, thus requiring Robb to endure the Queue of Lost Souls yet again.

3. The Osaka earthquake closed Flying Dinosaurs and Hollywood Dream, the park’s two big coasters, although the fact that they were closed was left off the “Closed Attractions” board. Robb negotiated a refund on the passes, which allowed us to buy another admission for a second park day (both rides did eventually open later that week). Robb, thanks again!

I know I’m leaving out a lot a details here, but the whole Universal visit is a bit of a blur.

So, what about Universal Japan itself, administrative issues aside? Well, the park is still a nice set of “Universal’s Greatest Hits" (with its very own version of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey), and staff working the shops and attractions are very nice and helpful. Flying Dinosaur is a very good B&M flying coaster--on par with SeaWorld Orlando’s Manta--and Hollywood Dream is still fun.

Jaws was down for a big rehab (we knew this going in). Is this a good sign that Bruce the Shark will be scaring guests for years to come? I hope so, as Jaws is a unique attraction, and it looks like they’re doing some pretty extensive work on it. But, as Robb pointed out, Orlando’s version went down for rehab, reopened, then was shut down for removal to make room for Diagon Alley mere months later. Who knows what’s in store for Japanese Jaws? It’s proximity to Japan Harry Potterland does raise my eyebrows a bit.

The VR craze has hit Universal Japan, too. Those who ride The Coaster Formally Known as Space Fantasy (which was a lot of fun) now have to don helmets to experience Final Fantasy. I believe the whole VR coaster craze must die, and Final Fantasy did nothing to change my opinion. But I give the park credit for having a fairly efficient method of handling it. You sit in the train, an attendant tethers your helmet to it, then you just slip the helmet on. One odd thing: When you return, an attendant removes your helmet, gives it back to you, then instructs you to give it to another attendant near the exit.

They also have a fairly elaborate nighttime parade with an oddly mundane name: Universal Spectacle Night Parade. Why not go all out and use the name “Super Happy Fun Time Sparkly Dancing Wizards, Robots, Dinosaurs, and Minions Parade”? All kidding aside, it’s a good parade, but be careful of where you watch it. We were at the beginning, and we missed out on much of the cool building projections they were doing down the street.

Oh, and one other thing.

000.jpg

Minions. Get ready for lots of Minions.
001.jpg
The view from our room. I could’ve sworn that Godzilla, or maybe Gamera, destroyed this facility in a movie. But one port industrial site looks much like another.
002.jpg
This is always good advice.
003.jpg
The Universal Port Hotel was very nice, and not actually run by Universal.
004.jpg
I’m pretty sure this place is run by Universal. Call it . . . a hunch.
005.jpg
Let’s see, Disney already uses “Early Entry” and “Extra Magic Hours.” I guess “Early Park In” will do.
006.jpg
Sigh. This makes me sad.
007.jpg
But life goes on, even without the beguiling goofiness of Space Fantasy. But why put VR on an indoor coaster that was already a unique experience?
008.jpg
This makes me a bit happier. Always a great ride, whether in English or Japanese.
009.jpg
J. Jonah Jameson: A pioneer in the use of fake news to smear a public figure.
010.jpg
“You got photos of me doing WHAT with WHOM? Fake news, all of it . . . well, it was a party, I was a bit drunk, and I coulda swore Loki was the Scarlet Witch, OK?”
011.jpg
Universal Japan always has cool merchandise. I particularly like the Jaws shirt.
011a.jpg
Then again, there is this.
012.jpg
Deadpool probably owns a dozen pairs of these.
013.jpg
Fill this spot up with some people wearing cheap plastic masks and carrying baseball bats, and you’d think it was Halloween Horror Night in Orlando.
014.jpg
Hard to tell where the park ends and the city begins.
015.jpg
Hmm--some activity over at Flying Dinosaur.
017.jpg
I hope the water-filled dummies are having fun and don't die horrible, water-splattering deaths.
018.jpg
This is Japan, so people put mats on the ground and wait patiently for this show to begin.
019.jpg
OK, it’s noon. Dumbledork, or whatever his name is, says we can enter Hogsmeade now. (Yes, the rather complicated Express Passes give you a time to enter Hogemeade, then later to ride Forbidden Journey.)
020.jpg
OK, you think a wizard could conjure up a tow truck.
021.jpg
We’ve made it all the way back to Orlando. It’s magic, I tell you!
022.jpg
Or are we in Hollywood?
023.jpg
All kidding aside, Universal has done a good job with Hogwarts. However, I wish they'd improved upon the chaos that is their loose-article storage area. That's a mess in Orlando, too.
024.jpg
Hah! Notice how I managed to avoid saying "fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo" in my last caption . . . damn it!
025.jpg
Dan can’t tell you how happy he is to see Ralph’s. Really, he can’t.
026.jpg
“Ooo, you work for Ralph’s? Come here, you sexy thang!”
027.jpg
Lucy will not be denied.
028.jpg
Bet you didn’t know that Universal Japan had a “Hitchcock’s The Birds” ride, did you? More to come!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Sorry, but....boo on Space Fantasy VR Overlay. Final Fantasy? How DARE they!

That's all I got. Great report on the "not-one-of-the-best" day at Universal, Chuck.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Next, a look at Jaws and more about Minions that you can shake a stick at. Believe me, you'll want to take a stick to them.
029.jpg
But first, it’s time to visit that place where Hello Kitty, Sesame Street, and Peanuts celebrate Easter all year long.
030.jpg
Dan is deeply moved and filled with love.
031.jpg
Yes, it’s Snoopy making sweet love to a hot dog. You’re welcome.
032.jpg
The way is closed. It was built by the shark, and the shark keeps it. The way is closed.
033.jpg
Come on, Bruce--I didn’t close the ride!
034.jpg
At least this is just for a rehab--we hope.
035.jpg
This salty old sailor is watching you closely, Universal!
036.jpg
The lagoon was dry, and there was a fair amount of activity down there.
036a.jpg
But the old Jaws shop has been replaced by a cart. They still have some cool stuff.
036b.jpg
Hello Kitty will be sad if Jaws ever closes for good.
036c.jpg
Be careful with what you say today, or it may come back to bite you in the butt.
036d.jpg
Support Jaws by buying Bruce’s favorite snack.
037.jpg
Yes, I’m holding on to some hope . . .
037a.jpg
. . . but the proximity of Jaws to You Know Where is a bit disturbing.
038.jpg
Any luck with Flying Dinosaur?
039.jpg
Not yet. (We rode it on another day, though.)
040.jpg
May as well check out Minions Super Happy Overkill Land.
041.jpg
Make sure your banana cabana keeps your little Minions from dangling.
042.jpg
There’s nothing sillier than cold, dark space death.
043.jpg
Always a name you can trust.
044.jpg
I’m not a fan of Minion Mayhem (or the Minions), but I do think the Back to the Future ride system works better for it than the old Jimmy Neutron system in Orlando.
045.jpg
Three clippings. Good for you, Gru! (Always liked Gru more than the Minions.)
045a.jpg
“Please have a seat. Gru will be with you in a moment.”
046.jpg
The queue looks pretty good.
047.jpg
These folks are already Minions. They just don’t realize it. One more set of photos to go.
Last edited by cfc on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Does the Bank of Evil upcharge a HUGE "service fee" for it's ATM useage? :wink:

And I forgot how really big that JAWS harbor is! Great shot of it, Chuck.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Great report! Honestly I'm shocked they didn't have Minion underwear for sale.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!