TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

I just got this new Disney book I ordered on Amazon, called what else? The Book of Disney.

It's basically a reader's digest version of EVERYTHING Disney has done from Walt's time up to the

building of Shanghai Disneyland. It's an interesting book from time to time, with a few unseen

photos, etc. being shown for the first time, here.

But - on pages 190 and 191 I found the article on the Pirates of The Caribbean attraction, created in

Disneyland, and evolved from an attraction, to movies and back. But, one drawing I couldn't quite

figure out, until I remembered another photo of current construction at SHDL.

So I thought, maybe this was slipping in an "easter egg" of sorts, without really saying what it was,

as you can see by the caption.

IMG_0282.JPG.32bccd3ece7dde196ab72bc355a5a6b1.JPG

The Book.

IMG_0283.JPG.43411d49669dec2cfcef9524ef3887a3.JPG

Pages 190-191: "A Pirate's Life for Me"

IMG_0284.JPG.51dfc22da6cf48b17c3ee4567f59396c.JPG

Hmmm. This looks awfully familiar.

IMG_0286.JPG.39afd667aff5710ffd4deab087121396.JPG

The caption, which didn't reveal much.

Treasure-Cove4.jpg.9bc3e12d014f1ea92253059e12e4d49d.jpg

And then I remembered this early construction photo! (o:

We have a date!

Disney Parks Blog

Opening Date Set for Shanghai Disney Resort, Disney’s Newest World-Class Destination

posted on January 12th, 2016 by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

We have some big news to share about one of the most exciting projects ever undertaken here at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Just about five months from now on June 16, Shanghai Disney Resort will host a grand opening celebration and welcome its first official guests.

“When it opens in June, Shanghai Disney resort will be a one-of-a-kind, world-class destination that is authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese,” said Robert A. Iger, chairman and chief executive officer, The Walt Disney Company. “The resort reflects Disney’s legendary storytelling along with China’s rich culture, and showcases some of the most creative and innovative experiences we’ve ever created. We’re looking forward to showing it to the world and sharing it with the people of China for generations to come.”

NSCI4868.thumb.jpg.0bd4733d7cd3e5f1c3984352e50b65c9.jpg

You might remember that previously we announced an accelerated expansion plan, which will allow Shanghai Disney Resort to offer even more magic, more attractions and more entertainment. The resort will include two richly themed hotels; an expansive recreation area; a unique retail, dining and entertainment district; and an incredible new Disney theme park with six themed lands and never-before-seen attractions designed specifically for the people of China.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to experience the park. From Treasure Cove, the first pirate-themed land in a Disney park, to Tomorrowland, with its massive, color-shifting canopy at the TRON Lightcycle Power Run, not to mention the largest Disney castle ever, there’s so much to look forward to.

We’ll keep you updated as we get closer to opening day!

Here is the press release from the Shanghai Disneyland Website. Also, I don't know if the map was posted yet, but the map is also live on the website. Map

SDL Site

Shanghai Disney Resort to Officially Open on June 16, 2016 Authentically Disney, distinctly Chinese destination will offer world-class attractions and premium guest experiences

Shanghai, January 13, 2016 – The Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group announced today that Shanghai Disney Resort will host a multi-day grand opening celebration, culminating in a spectacular welcoming ceremony for the resort’s first official guests on June 16, 2016.

The opening of Shanghai Disney Resort will mark a key milestone in the development of Shanghai’s tourism industry, offering a unique new international tourism destination for guests from China and around the world. Considered one of the largest Sino-foreign joint investment projects in the modern service industry in China’s history, the resort’s grand opening will be a celebration of the partnership between Disney and Shanghai. The destination is sure to delight and entertain the people of China for generations to come at a truly magical place that is both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese.

Once operational, a visit to Shanghai Disney Resort will be unlike any experience in the world and will demonstrate Disney’s relentless innovation and famous creativity. With Shanghai Disneyland, a Magic Kingdom-style theme park with six themed lands, two richly themed hotels, Disneytown, a huge shopping, dining and entertainment district and Wishing Star Park available to guests at opening, Shanghai Disney Resort will not only showcase the best of Disney’s storytelling but also celebrate China’s incredibly rich heritage and cultural elements to create a one-of-a-kind destination. From world-class attractions to Broadway-quality entertainment, the newest Disney destination will offer premium experiences that guests can only find at Shanghai Disney Resort.

“We are extremely excited to announce our opening date of June 16. Both shareholders and the joint venture board of directors agree this is the optimal time to welcome our first official guests to the resort,” said Philippe Gas, general manager of Shanghai Disney Resort. “Shanghai Disney Resort celebrates China’s rich heritage and is the result of years of partnership and innovation with contributions from our talented Cast Members and Imagineers, as well as thousands of artists, designers, construction workers and suppliers from across China and around the world. Our special thanks go to the joint venture shareholders and the local government who provided tremendous support to the project along the way.”

“Shanghai is one of the most exciting and dynamic cities in the world and we’re delighted to be able to open a world class tourism and entertainment destination befitting this incredible city and its people,” said Bill Ernest, president and managing director of Asia for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We are taking everything we’ve learned from our six decades of exceeding expectations – along with our signature innovation and classic storytelling to create this truly magical place that is both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese.”

“The construction of Shanghai Disneyland – which has involved the talents of tens of thousands of technicians and construction workers – has gone through an extensive construction period and is now entering the timeframe to prepare our operation,” said Fan Xiping, chairman of Shanghai Shendi Group. “Over the past five years the joint venture partners have worked closely with one another to ensure the smooth progress of the project and applied innovative and best practices for building the resort. There’s still work ahead in the coming months before opening but working together I’m confident we’ll be successful in our final sprint and provide a spectacular grand opening for our guests.”

Major construction of Shanghai Disney Resort is now complete and will be followed by an extensive preparation period to ensure the resort is fully operational and ready to greet millions of guests. During this period the resort will continue to hire and train new Cast to join the current team of nearly 2000 Cast Members and Imagineers. Shanghai Disney Resort Cast Members will undertake extensive preparatory work to ensure Disney’s legendary guest service standards of safety, courtesy, show and efficiency are fully ready for the grand opening period. The theme park’s ticketing plan as well as other operational details of the resort will be announced at a later date.

Shanghai Disney Resort, part of the Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone, is a complete vacation destination offering something for everyone, and on opening day, June 16, 2016, will include:

Shanghai Disneyland, a theme park with six themed lands: Adventure Isle, Gardens of Imagination, Mickey Avenue, Tomorrowland, Treasure Cove and Fantasyland, with the Enchanted Storybook Castle. Guests will be immersed in popular Disney stories that come to life at the largest castle in a Disney park, at the first Pirates-themed land in a Disney park, on the longest Disney Parks parade route and in more enchanting places filled with thrills, creativity and adventure. Many of Shanghai Disneyland’s attractions and entertainment experiences will be appearing in a Disney theme park for the first time.

The Shanghai Disneyland Hotel and Toy Story Hotel, imaginatively themed hotels conveniently located near the theme park. The Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is an elegant Art Nouveau-inspired resort with a touch of Disney magic and imagination, while the Toy Story Hotel immerses guests in a world inspired by the toys from the Disney•Pixar series of Toy Story animated films.

Disneytown, an international shopping, dining and entertainment district, adjacent to Shanghai Disneyland and including the Walt Disney Grand Theatre, home to the first-ever Mandarin production of the Broadway hit, Disney’s THE LION KING. Another “must-see” for guests will be the innovative World of Disney Store, offering a comprehensive collection of Disney merchandise, including many products designed especially for Shanghai Disney Resort.

Wishing Star Park, with beautiful gardens, a walking path and a glittering lake. With approximately 40 hectares, the size of 56 football fields, Wishing Star Park presents guests with awe-inspiring natural views and beautiful sunsets.

In addition to Shanghai Disney Resort, guests who visit Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone will also have opportunities to enjoy a wide range of other exciting tourism experiences within the zone, such as Shanghai Village, Ecological Park and Herb Garden.

Shanghai Disney Resort broke ground in 2011, began vertical construction in 2013 and has celebrated numerous construction milestones since then, including the topping off of the resort’s iconic Enchanted Storybook Castle in May 2015. In April 2014, the resort’s shareholders jointly announced an accelerated expansion plan to capitalize on the tremendous growth in China’s tourism sector – adding more attractions, entertainment and other offerings to increase capacity at the theme park on opening day.

Guests can learn more by visiting http://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com, the destination’s newly updated official website for news and information about Shanghai Disney Resort.

CYkALPAWwAAOPw5.jpg.4908986dfad3f71ef698943921a9fee3.jpg

Guests who want to go to infinity and beyond on Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue will be excited to learn ride testing is already underway! A new storyline combined with a new, interactive targeting system will make this one of the most engaging attractions at a Disney park.

CYkALKIWQAAu60H.jpg.5705cd4ec1d87fe55e29d91779594aec.jpg

Testing has already begun on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train where guests will hitch a rollicking ride on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Fantasyland.

CYkALV-WAAIvTzc.jpg.3616ce3d72bf05b81b4a24fcbe02f4f2.jpg

Ride testing is already underway at the Roaring Rapids, where guests will embark on a thrilling rafting adventure, straight through the heart of Adventure Isle.

CYkALMiW8AA88-X.jpg.59911ca6b22cec0355893397bf0703ce.jpg

In Tomorrowland, the massive, color-shifting canopy over the TRON Lightcycle Power Run is already being lit up at night while testing continues on the attraction’s exciting new ride vehicles.

Shanghai-Disney-Resort-to-Officially-Open-05.thumb.jpg.30dc0bd51d3f5dacc8cb5c1a88dfb450.jpg

Ride testing continues on another attraction created especially for Shanghai Disneyland. Guests will soon be able to take a spin on Fantasia Carousel, which features characters and symphonic music from the groundbreaking Disney film, Fantasia.

Shanghai-Disney-Resort-to-Officially-Open-06.jpg.70fea5687c731a6b16f8f181e26a74e0.jpg

Disney Imagineers and construction teams are painting the majestic Enchanted Storybook Castle, the tallest, largest, and most complex Disney castle ever built. Guests will experience immersive attractions, dining, shopping and spectacular entertainment at the Fantasyland icon.

I'm actually more interested in this than the theme park itself:

Wishing Star Park, with beautiful gardens, a walking path and a glittering lake. With approximately 40 hectares, the size of 56 football fields, Wishing Star Park presents guests with awe-inspiring natural views and beautiful sunsets.

Have they released any info or new images on this part of the development?

^ Yeah, that. Plus, seeing that much bare coaster track up in the air, plus their supports, is quite unusual and "disappointing" for a Disney park. The rest of the park really looks fantastic, it's just the Tomorrowland section that is a bit of a letdown in my opinion, design-wise. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty and will be a t®on of fun I'm sure, but it looks like a big fancy modern mall and will be outdated in no time.

Lightning it up wouldn't help during the day. And yeah, they might add some things (see the supports behind the track), but all their others major coasters are either build into a mountain or indoor, for a reason.

Well, except for California Screamin'.

I have high hopes for this park because it looks like it could be raising the Magic Kingdoms to a whole other level (which would be amazing). I also like it's new approach to classic attractions (such as Pirates and Buzz Lightyear).

The TRON canopy looks amazing at night, but I still can't help but feel skeptical about how going outside seems like it's going to break up the ride experience during the day.

In fairness, Test Track does the exact same thing and the transition is actually one of the most fun elements of the ride. I think the best part of the ride will be the inside, but the ride's most unique maneuvers look like they will take place outside of the show building underneath the open air canopy. I think it is a pretty great balance of the two, and with the canopy changing color to follow trains as they move underneath, I feel like it could provide a really neat atmospheric effect, much like watching the Columbiad Cannon launch Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris' Tomorrowland.

The TRON canopy looks amazing at night, but I still can't help but feel skeptical about how going outside seems like it's going to break up the ride experience during the day.

In fairness, Test Track does the exact same thing and the transition is actually one of the most fun elements of the ride. I think the best part of the ride will be the inside, but the ride's most unique maneuvers look like they will take place outside of the show building underneath the open air canopy. I think it is a pretty great balance of the two, and with the canopy changing color to follow trains as they move underneath, I feel like it could provide a really neat atmospheric effect, much like watching the Columbiad Cannon launch Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris' Tomorrowland.

I think that's a good point. And there's nothing wrong with a ride taking on a different dimension after dark.

I am also under the impression that the canopy is an "extension" of the show building. The ride is never in open air, its always covered. Id bet the canopy interacts with the train as it flies around that part of the track.

Its also at the beginning of the ride, not in the middle, and we don't really know the story of the ride or how the station is themed. So, we'll have to wait and see how this all works together, if it does at all.

^The canopy covers the portion of the ride that is not contained by the show building itself. The canopy lighting will change as the trains pass underneath each section.

I was pretty sure that the outdoor section was actually the finale of the ride, not the beginning. Concept video from the D23 Expo showed the ride launching from inside and going through the indoor section first.

Well, except for California Screamin'.

California Screamin' is a steel coaster themed as a classic pier wooden coaster. Only the loop and some hidden parts are left as a traditional coaster, but the structure itself is quite an extensive theming on its own already.

I have high hopes for this park because it looks like it could be raising the Magic Kingdoms to a whole other level (which would be amazing). I also like it's new approach to classic attractions (such as Pirates and Buzz Lightyear).

SO MUCH THIS.

I love all the Magic Kingdoms (to different degrees) but am very excited over the uniqueness of Shanghai out of the gate. With 5 of them already around the world, they almost needed to (ahem) "reimagine" the Magic Kingdom, and here's hoping they deliver on the promise of the concept art.

Happy there's an opening date set and that things look well along in terms of progress... now I need to debate when to visit.

Shanghai certainly has the 'expansion space' to go along with all that's there, now.

Every time I look at photos of the ongoing construction or artists' concepts of the park,

I keep thinking "There's an awful lot of space between things." So, I am (also) looking

forward to when, after the official opening, they gauge how it's all going for the first

year of operation, and then start thinking about what to add next?

I am always glad to see as well, no matter how the overall design of Disney parks are, and what

changes dramatically, or not, the CASTLE is always in the middle of everything. So far, we

have three Sleeping Beauties, and two Cinderellas...and this one. A "combination" of all

the castles that Disney has built for us, IMhO, with plenty of room for more in the castle, itself.

Can't wait to go there, if and when I am able to.

Edited by Nrthwnd

OK, so I've been following this park since the get-go... I just looked at the attraction list and FastPass offerings. I didn't realize that they had both a Pooh Hunny Pot Tea-cup ride AND a Pooh dark ride. I knew the former was always on the attractions list, but not the latter. Did anyone else miss this, or just me?

Also - interesting that all the major rides are on Fastpass except for the new Pirates ride. Wonder why? Pirates isn't on FP at DL or WDW, but this is an all-new ride with new boats, technology, etc. Even Little Mermaid, which is a high-capacity people-eater is on FP at WDW although it's not at DCA. Just curious more than anything...

^ No, I didn't miss the dark ride a la Pooh. But then, I had the feeling this wasn't their trackless kind,

and the Big Deal in the dark rides was supposedly the new flying system for Peter Pan. So, they let it slide,

until now, now that concept maps are starting to look more realistic, etc.

I was hoping it'd be trackless. But now, I have no idea. It looks like a big show building.

Actually, if it's as good as Hong Kong Disneyland's was, and that was tracked, it'll be pretty good!

Edited by Nrthwnd

You cannot use Walt Disney World in this comparison, because they have my Disney experience and every attraction has fast pass. So when you take that out of the equation, no other Pirates ride has fast pass, because it does not need it. It is a massive people eater at every park. Though, this is a new ride system and we don't know what it's capacity is, I would guess it's at least somewhat similar.