TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^Considering they've topped off the tallest part of the coaster well before winter (and before their 2014 season ended) It looks like they're comfortably head of schedule. So not much worrying there. I don't know their schedule, so I'm not sure what more they have after track completion, train installment, wiring, testing, etc., but I bet this coaster will go hot well before the next season starts.

^ Yeah, but I think all the vertical loops on non-inverted B&M's look very large. I guess that is why I'm not that impressed by the height.

That's also true. Still I think that dominator, SKC, medusa (SFDK) and scream are their only rides with taller vertical loops, right?

^ Yeah, but I think all the vertical loops on non-inverted B&M's look very large. I guess that is why I'm not that impressed by the height.

That's also true. Still I think that dominator, SKC, medusa (SFDK) and scream are their only rides with taller vertical loops, right?

You forgot YOLOCoaster with the world's tallest vertical loop.

Last minute Holiday World question!

I'm heading to the park tomorrow morning, and I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 2015 season pass deal where you get a free Thunderbird sports bottle and a Bring-a-Friend ticket for 2014 when you process the pass at the park. Their website mentions that you can use the ticket for yourself for 2014, but do I have to already enter the park to process the pass and obtain that ticket? Or is the season processing outside of the gate?

Thanks!

Medusa at SFDK has a loop that is essentially identical to Thunderbird. 128 feet, if I recall correctly (vs. 125 at HW). Dominator is taller. Haven't been on SKC but it's also taller.

Thunderbird's loop looks like it will have the rapid rotation at the top with maximum "downward" pointing time. Medusa, Afterburn and a few others do this very nicely, but Thunderbird will have a much nicer setting.

Considering they've topped off the tallest part of the coaster well before winter (and before their 2014 season ended) It looks like they're comfortably head of schedule. So not much worrying there. I don't know their schedule, so I'm not sure what more they have after track completion, train installment, wiring, testing, etc., but I bet this coaster will go hot well before the next season starts.

The Station building hasn't went vertical yet as well. Keeping count, they have 24/77 pieces put in place so far. They're averaging four pieces a week so far. I think at this pace, the track work will be complete sometime in January. Maybe earlier in the month if they get good whether, later if they have bad whether. If there wasn't holidays, I'd say they be done by the end of the year. They've certainly put themselves in a position where they don't have to work in nasty weather conditions whenever that happens. If anybody remembers Goliath's construction last year, the nasty weather conditions is really what screwed them over, which that was all Six Flags fault for starting construction so late. As far as testing is concerned, I'd say part of the reason the ride is being built so fast is that B&M wants to have plenty of testing before they hand the keys to the ride over to the park with this being their first LSM launch and all.

New Hard Hat Chronicles video. Love the shot coming down Highway 162!

^Very valid points. Also, that shot of Thunderbird from the highway sold me on trying to plan one more visit to the park before they close for the season! I'd love to get a glimpse at it, if not just to ride more coasters before November sets in.

Medusa at SFDK has a loop that is essentially identical to Thunderbird. 128 feet, if I recall correctly (vs. 125 at HW). Dominator is taller. Haven't been on SKC but it's also taller.

Thunderbird's loop looks like it will have the rapid rotation at the top with maximum "downward" pointing time. Medusa, Afterburn and a few others do this very nicely, but Thunderbird will have a much nicer setting.

Speaking of the loop. I've noticed that both Medusa and Scream (which have loops only 3 feet taller than thunderbird's) have top speeds of respectively 65 and 63 mph. Wild eagle is one mph faster than thunderbird and it only has a 110 ft loop (although that could be because of terrain changes) so what I'm wondering is how will the loop be so tall if the top speed isn't even hit right before it? Maybe it's designed to go slowly through the top to provide some hang time (I actually prefer if it didn't as I like these big loops to provide at max a bit of weightlessness but no negatives because I enjoy the feeling of still being on your seat when you're upside down so that it actually feels like the rest of the world is the wrong way up and not you).

^ I'm pretty sure the elevation drop in that opening plays a big factor in how tall the loop is. I know it's an animation, but B&M's animations seem to be pretty spot on in capturing the pacing of their rides, and TB really doesn't look like it goes slow enough to get good hang time, but I'll wait until I ride it to pass any judgement on the matter.

Edit: Just noticed this on the construction cam, but one of the buldings for TB plaza has had some framework put in place.

Do you suppose wing coasters have more drag than other types? I mean, they don't look very aerodynamic.

I wonder if aerodynamics play the biggest role in the drag of a ride (if it's not super fast). Maybe it's the type of wheels and their assembly that matter the most?

It's the aerodynamics/weight and probably a combination of a million other things engineers will only understand. One thing I look at it is the fact that coasters with the the seating situated on the outside of the track (X2, Furius Baco, maybe Intamin ZacSpin's? Just to name a few) that have a lot of forces have been noted to be rough. I think B&M is probably still searching to find that perfect balance between comfort and intensity without making the ride too rough on these wing riders.

Am I the only person who looks forward to each and every new Hard Hat Chronicle?! Holiday World is doing an amazing job with this coaster. From the build up before they released it, to the documenting of the construction. It is awesome to see park employees as excited about the new coaster as we are! I can not wait to see, and ride the finished product!

^^ amazing photos! I love how close this ride gets to the Voyage. Should add a nice thrill element to both coasters! Can't wait to see the vertical loop get topped off! This coaster is looking better and better with every new photo!

Those are great pictures! Saw another picture on Twitter and I was wrong, they actually have 25/77 pieces put in place, which if my math is correct (keep in mind I'm a history major, so there is a good chance I could be wrong), that would mean they have about 1/3 of the ride completed. That's awesome considering that it's only October and HW's season isn't even over yet.

Went to the park Saturday, had a blast. Happy Halloween Weekends is a Family Event, but there is still plenty of Thrills. Thunderbird towers over the Thanksgiving Area. Holiday World does a great job with their Halloween event. The Laser show at the end was great, the Dancers from " Graveyard Smash" was out walking around the audience during the show then did the " Thriller" dance at the end. Took a few pictures, not enough for a full Photo report, so I'll post them on here.

DSCN2208.thumb.JPG.f65f1b069b248b2a87ba6ea99d917042.JPG

The new attraction this year was, Carnival Chaos, it was pretty fun, had a Mirror Maze at the end.

DSCN2157.thumb.JPG.5ae14ee51fc7239b899109395439f212.JPG

The " Revolution" became " Resurrection". Several of the rides had different names, for Happy Halloween Weekends.

DSCN2160.thumb.JPG.55108c97b147dee6d3c13132ad2e834d.JPG

The New view in Thanksgiving.

DSCN2187.thumb.JPG.9bb54a836ce675f90f7f09e01c38fde8.JPG

Sign describing Thunderbird

DSCN2186.thumb.JPG.201185055462e10f038c06f744329551.JPG

The new walkway to Thunderbird, to the left.

DSCN2169.thumb.JPG.6d18c0601a1d3abf25163492ff519426.JPG

Thunderbird looks so huge up on the hill.

DSCN2181.thumb.JPG.2d660d21dd7e2fc52ca98941499f1a51.JPG

Can't wait til next year, got my Season Pass when I was there Saturday.

DSCN2175.thumb.JPG.7ad94f679bc67e0a715492174cf78e18.JPG

Supports and Track are everywhere.

DSCN2178.thumb.JPG.ac05fea81176f3939ff5caa7cf77c351.JPG

Thunderbird pieces

DSCN2179.thumb.JPG.72a8c4bdaf1c267ff4abf30a44f6c8e4.JPG

Reach over and touched this piece.

DSCN2182.thumb.JPG.e8c6f100385be5a26f2e15d99b9b5906.JPG

Had all these painted Hay Bales along the Hayride to the Corn Mazes. This ends my report, hope everyone has a Happy Halloween, mine was.

DSCN2221.thumb.JPG.ae05b6ce0133e22f9071ff1f10cc5684.JPG

When you get your 2015 Season Pass processed this year you get this cool Thunderbird Cup. Also bought me a shot glass, I collect shot glasses.

Edited by ratdogg68