TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Millenium Force out of Operation?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents just got back from CP. They said they talked to someone there and it WAS running this weekend, but it it broke again.

They purposely checked the website BEFORE they went to CP and since they saw it was open, they went only to find it broke again.

Oh well, such is life.

There was a report floating around that there was an issue with the cable system or pulley on the ride and another person was stating that they were about to ride the MF and there was a loud noise around the cable pulley and maybe that was the reason for the ride being stuck on the lift the other day. (The report was from another site and yet another site stating nearly the same thing, so I am not sure if it is accurate or note, but all of the reports stated something in relation to the pulley or cable system).

I'm not sure if another thread was started or not, but I wonder if it's not (entirely) CP fault. I think that Intamin (ducking now from the Intamin fans) produced a product that was not entirely tested (longevity) and perhaps the "growing pains" are becoming more of a maintenance nightmare now. When MF and TTD was built, no one has ever attempted these heights/speeds and perhaps there is no way to find out about the long-term maintenance (and related operational issues) until a/the product is actually built.

I think the mfg. has learned ALOT from TTD and incorporated some of the design changes into KK@ GA, but it appears that is having some issues as well. Whether they are both (TTD/KK) are related or not is another discussion, but in today's market, competition to build more advanced rides (higher, faster, longer, etc.) is what the public is craving for and themeparks are increasing the demands on mfg to come up with unique ride elements to satisfy those cravings and increase the turnstile count.

I'm not defending CP in anyway, but I believe that their engineering staff/maintenance operations is working quite a bit of overtime to get these issues resolved. The pressure is there for sure (from management). I can only speak from my experiences from BGE/BGA because we collected massive overtime if there were issues regarding a ride(s). And we needed to resolve them in a timely BUT SAFE manner and the record generally spoke for itself (because of reputation).

^But, you DO have a valid point and heard that same issue from others (about CP) as well.

All I meant was this is the sort of thing I would have come to expect of a six flags park (not including lately as they've been better) but not from cedar fair. Hope that clears everything up. It would just be a shame to take someone up there who's NEVER been on MF and have it be down. How dissapointing...

-James Dillaman

According to a friend of mine on staff at Cedar Point who works with ride inspections/upkeep, it was a shock that Millennium Force was even running this weekend. It was open on Saturday and went down. It was then open again on Sunday morning until 11:30 a.m. (while I was in line for it) when they ran into problems. The car remained at the top of the lift for the remainder of the day. I don't know the specific problem but Cedar Point had already ordered a new part for the cable lift season prior to the weekend, knowing that it was necessary. However, they tried their best to open the ride as much as possible over the busy Memorial Day weekend. I give CP a lot of credit for opening this ride on Saturday and again on Sunday for the sake of the crowds. Most parks would just shut down the ride until the new parts arrived but CP took a chance so that more people could ride it.

I'm dissapointed in Cedar Point. Having their best ride down for so long is unacceptable in my view. I know nobody's perfect, but if I was running the park I'd have crews working night and day on it until it's fixed.

-James Dillaman

yea but you have to keep in mind, they can work on it day and night but that will do no good if what people say is true (the cable lift engine blew) and are waiting for a new one to come in.

^Exactly. They don't keep a surplus of every single part and piece they'll ever need around. I remember last year, Dragster broke and we had to wait over a week for a part to come in from Europe. I'm sure CP is doing everything they can. That maintenance crew never rests. Once again, last year, when MF broke down a week into May, they were up all night and morning trying to figure out what was wrong with it and how to fix it. I'm sure they are doing everything in their power to get it fixed now.

^ Dragster broke down Labour Day weekend and sat idle until like the 2nd or 3rd last weekend.

Some of these parts are big enough that it takes time to make them and ship them. It's not like you can have an overnight delivery on some giant motor from Switzerland.

I know this is a question that isn't exactly anything someone would know. But do ya'll think it will be open by the 15th? I'm taking my exchange student from Japan who has been on SD2000 and trying to prove to her that MF is better! . I to have also been on SD2000 and prefer MF but it's still a great ride.

But yeah, what do ya'll think?

I also just read on the Cedar Point site that Top Thrill Dragster isn't offered for Resort Guests in the mornings anymore. Is that true? That would SUCK! Because last time I used my early entrance on MF, turned out that I ended up waiting like 20 minutes anyway because of all the Joe Cool Club members get in too.

OH, I didn't realize they were waiting on a part, that makes more sense. I was wondering why Cedar Point would have it down for so long. I retract my comments, as I know they're putting pressure on the manufacturer and shipping company to get the part to them ASAP.

-James Dillaman

I think it actually depends on the mfg.

Arrow had a 1 yr (break-in period) warranty.

I believe B&M is 1yr also. I'm not sure on the other companies (although I heard the "old" Vekoma had a 3 yr! period-which was probably a reason why they lost alot of money..lol)

Most parks/vendors pay for the wheels no matter the circumstance(s), unless there was a TSB (tech-bulletin update or component failure).

Parts such as gearboxes and major components have a warranty period (general mfg. warranty), but there are also "clauses" in each contract to where the vendor can have some clout in defining the extension of the warranty. For example, when IOA was built and B&M sold 3 (DD-2 seperate coasters), there was a report that the part had warranty on EVERYTHING for 2 yrs.

I don't think that they're waiting for a part, because it was capable of testing on Memorial Day.

...but it immediately broke down again, making me think they tried some sort of quick fix (duct tape maybe?) and it didn't work, so now they're going to wait for the part.

-James Dillaman

Haha cool, the more posts I read, the more of a Millennium Force/Steel Force topic this becomes. Oh those silly Morgan trains. I guess everybody in the industry had their share of problems with lift motors, chains, wheel assemblies, cars comming off the track . Haha, I'm just so glad Kennywood is different and has the Morgan smoothness without the Morgan hassle. All Morgan coasters should be fitted with the Arrow chassis , but anyway. The Millenium Force has definately broken down before and more dramatically I think (I recall a snapped cable being involved), yet all parks go through the trouble of having to deal with "oversea" companies like Intamin, B&M, Zamperla, Reverchon, Maurer Söhne, Gerstlauer, Vekoma, Schwarzkopf, TOGO, etc. For example, it usually takes a long time for Kennywood to get parts for it's Pitt Fall (Intamin drop ride), so more often than not, a car or even two cars are down for months, if not the entire summer. Well... what else is new?

On the Cedar Point site it says that they're having electrical problems, whatever that means. I found it funny that on Memorial Day, MF was down, yet Dragster was running outstanding. Not once did I see it roll back or break down when I was there from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. I got to ride it twice, the second time of which I only waited 25 minutes. The trains were dispatching regularly (except for when stupid guests won't put their arms down). I was a little dissapointed about MF being down, but all the more reason for me to go back multiple times during the summer.