TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 791: Big Bear Mountain family coaster announced for 2023!

In line for the fifth ride of the weekend before heading home. LR unofficially opened on Saturday morning with no restrictions on lines and hours, other than some downtime here and there, which engineers solved relatively quickly. They kept the line open right until 10pm on Saturday night. It also opened with the park on Saturday. Night rides on LR are insane. Once you're whipped over the hill, it's pitch black the rest of the way. Just incredible.

Sunday the park was relatively quiet and the evening was basically park ERT, which was a blast. Five minute wait for everything except Lighting Rod, with the line starting near the last set of stairs on the second floor. Sunday night the ride closed at 9:30pm or so since there was an issue that engineers couldn't get to before park closing at 10pm.

I would plan for LR to be down anywhere between 15 minutes to 45 minutes, up to three times while in line, while they fully work everything out. This has been the experience this weekend and again this morning.

Overall, the crew is fantastic. The ride is fantastic. It was awesome seeing other TPR friends around this weekend. What a great second visit to Dollywood, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Can't wait to come back soon.

Absolutely great news that it's now fully open!

Still problems, did not open with the park:

Quote from Facebook https://www.facebook.com/dollywood

"More problems with lighting rod! In line now at front and the ride jut closed with issues. Would expect issues on a new ride but this ride has had more than enough time to get the issues resolved with the late opening!

Been in the park three hours. Not been in a ride yet and $1000 spent on passes and fast pass!"

^Yeah, it appears to be having issues today but I was just pointing out that it did open with the park. Plus, the amount of drama in that Facebook rant.

Ah, I misread your original post, my apologies. Pretty heartbreaking to see it have issues on opening day but glad to see the park is getting more and more confident in the ride. +

Awesome that they have finally gotten it officially open! Now, I look forward to an announcement of Thrill in the Hills reschedule date, as I've already paid for my tickets, and want to finally be able to finish planning my Summer out! Can't wait to get on this beauty!

This has certainly been an unconventional/rushed grand opening announcement/media blitz, but you can't fault the park in a situation like this.

It will be interesting to see if they have a formal media day or instead opt to promote the opening directly to targeted media outlets. I'm sure they don't want to unnecessarily close the ride for any type of media event during park hours.

Hopefully they'll get some professional behind-the-hill shots of trains in action with riders. And while they're at it, a higher quality POV would be great — I think the video released today is almost a disservice to an amazing ride.

At the end of the day, Lightning Rod needs little publicity or fanfare. Word of mouth from those who have ridden it will be plenty.

I'd like to stress that as busy as the park is today, there's a wooden roller coaster at the other side of the park that offers as much air time as Lightning Rod and is still so much fun. Seriously, Thunderhead has been a walk on all weekend, even this afternoon. Run over and give it some lovin'

I totally understand how frustrating it can be being in line and the ride closing down. It happened to us a few times, once when we were at the end of the queue. Just make sure you go in to LR with patience, and a lot of it. It's not like they don't want us riding. Who knows when all the kinks will be worked out but wouldn't expect it to be running problem free for the next few weeks at least. Also, a ride attendant mentioned that time saver won't be available during the opening period over the next few weeks, so keep that in mind.

I totally understand how frustrating it can be being in line and the ride closing down. It happened to us a few times, once when we were at the end of the queue. Just make sure you go in to LR with patience, and a lot of it. It's not like they don't want is riding. Who knows when all the kinks will be worked out but wouldn't expect it to be running problem free for the next few weeks at least.

I like your strategy. It reminds me of how my wife and I automatically go to a restaurant expecting terrible service. These are just normal expectations for 2016.

I totally understand how frustrating it can be being in line and the ride closing down. It happened to us a few times, once when we were at the end of the queue. Just make sure you go in to LR with patience, and a lot of it. It's not like they don't want is riding. Who knows when all the kinks will be worked out but wouldn't expect it to be running problem free for the next few weeks at least.

I like your strategy. It reminds me of how my wife and I automatically go to a restaurant expecting terrible service. These are just normal expectations for 2016.

Well, it depends on the restaurant and on how much you want that food, regardless of what you have to endure to get it .

There hasn't been one day yet where LR has run problem free so until that happens, why would anyone expect anything different? The meal in this case is truly worth it.

there's a wooden roller coaster at the other side of the park that offers as much air time as Lightning Rod

Define "as much."

Seriously, though, Thunderhead is great, and it seems to never generate a line when I'm there, even on Saturdays.

there's a wooden roller coaster at the other side of the park that offers as much air time as Lightning Rod

Define "as much."

Seriously, though, Thunderhead is great, and it seems to never generate a line when I'm there, even on Saturdays.

Haha! Ok maybe not as intense but for sure as much . It was running great.

By "heartbreaking" he means "entirely predictable". I don't know the last ride that didn't break down on it's opening day. Even with tons of soft openings and technical rehearsals.

Top Thrill Dragster opened on opening day!

And then it broke down a lot throughout the day. Plus I'm not saying a ride never opens and runs flawlessly on opening day, I'm saying it generally doesn't so this isn't a big deal.