TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it that everyone hates about SLC's?

I personally have never been on a SLC , well I've been on a custom SLC (Jubilee Odyessy) which is brilliant, its one of the biggest inverted coasters in the world, it was a bit rough here and there but I loved it (see picture below)!

But what is it that everyone hates about standard SLC's?

They look like a pretty good coaster, im never going to go out of my way to go on one! Mainly because of what everyone says about them and Well there's only 1 in England and thats 250 miles from me!

But , Why do you all hate them?

jubilee-odyssey14.jpg.a631b023d7137d01e7d3d736c6c412b0.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having only been on the 2 i still love them. and with Kumali this year i cant see why it would change. But then ive never had a problem with head banging at all. Odd.

The idea behind them is genius and one that has served Vekoma well. helping many smaller parks get an iconic ride for their area and help them boost attendance for very little.

Sorry, I was just being a smart ass and posting once in each of your threads with a different response to be, well, a smart ass.

Oh wait, your british. In that case it would be to take the piss out of you. Yeah, I think thats right.

Anyway, the problem with SLC's, for me, is the shuffle the trains do because they go through the inversions so slow. It's especially bad in the back of the train.

But really, I've only ridden the standard model (about 12 or so) and the one going into Flamingo Land looks pretty interesting.

I think they get a bad rap because the standard model is everywhere here in the states and we're kinda bored with seeing the same layout everywhere we go. That and some of them are downright brutal to your head (T2 especially).

However, you have to admit the designers did a great job fitting so much ride in such a small footprint, and the rides are obviously selling well, but we still don't have to like them!

-Don

I had heard horror stories about SLCs, but I went ahead and rode one anyway (Kong at SFMW). Honestly, I was actually pleasantly surprised. It wasn't any worse than some other coasters I've ridden and nowhere near as bad as it had been made out to be.

The SLC in the picture looks like it would be a lot of fun, actually. It has a cobra roll and a vertical loop, which the standard "off the shelf" model doesn't have.

Eric

I've only been on two, Top Gun at PCW and Thunderhawk at Geauga Lake, but I don't like either of them. They were both very rough and there was a lot of headbanging involved, even if I tried to keep my head against one side of the restraint to keep it from banging back and forth. I did think Top Gun was pretty impressive when it first opened when I was 11, but even then I thought it was painful..the first night I rode it I saw a woman walk off with her head bleeding [not sure what the situation was though, could've had an earring ripped out or something]. The next year they added more padding to the restraints.

Having only rode the first SLC ever: the El Condor at Walibi World, it pwns every coaster i've ever been on, even Goliath.

IMO you shoud FEEL a coaster, Goliath is too smooth, and you TRULY experience a coaster when you get bruises afterwards

I always enjoy a coaster that throws you around a bit, but only if it has lapbars. I really enjoyed Tizona @ Terra Mitica when I rode it in 03 because of the uber-soft padding around my head, but Blue Tornado @ Gardaland wasnt that enjoyable. Harder padding and overall a rougher ride. The only smooth part was the extra helix.

Yngve "Imagine how awesome a smooth SLC would have been" Oestbye

SLC's are an easy target because they're built by Vekoma, and Vekoma are reknown for some of the more violent rides out there.

But I've been Blue Tornado and Traumatizer, which are pretty smooth as SLCs go, and don't really deserve the reputation some of the other SLC rides out there.

However, I think that El Condor and Jubilee Odyssey are bad examples of SLCs. I'm all for forceful rides, but I don't think that these rides should be giving you serious head trauma!

I don't really mind riding an SLC. Sure, when I walk into a park and see one, I give a bit of a disappointed sigh, but that's due to its "cookie-cutter" style. I've been on SLCs that aren't that rough and were quite enjoyable. I guess it all comes down to two things.

1. They're all the same (for the most part)

2. They've been stigmatized by carrying the Vekoma name

Personally, I think the standard Vekoma SLC layout is great. Within a very tight space you have 5 interesting inversions and a ton of great foot choppers. Some spots also have some good positive g's.

Now, if only Vekoma could get ride of some of the roughness they would have a real winner on their hands!

I also think the roughness on most SLC's is really over-exagerated in many cases, I notice alot of people (kids) jumping to the conclusion that is it a horrible ride just because of the fact that it is a Vekoma or a standard SLC.

I completely agree that the layout is not the problem. When you find an SLC that isn't too rough, it's actually a pretty decent ride.

HOWEVER,

Many are quite rough and some rediculously so. The worst I've yet to experience was Blackout at Suzuka Cirsuit. That sucker was so bad I was actually wondering if it was getting ready to derail!

^layout definitely not the problem at all. Think that they can be quite creative with smaller spaces and fit a lot of elements in, however it's just the overall way the coaster moves and feels when you're riding. I'm not a fan of them, like most people on here....but I will ride them!

I cant really say a bad word about Vekoma's as I haven't been on many but the one's I have been on are great:-

Rock 'N' Rollercoaster DLP

Space Mountain: Mission 2 DLP

Jubilee Odyessy (pic on page 1) Fantasy Island

Millenium Coaster: Fantasy Island (ok this one isnt the best but its very smooth)

Missile & Boomerang (ok these arnet great either but there is only 2 of them in Great Britain & they are both in very small parks, so they fit very well)

Overall I don't mind a bit of roughness coz it ads to the coaster experience, but then again I NEVER have my head in the head rest on any ride!

SLCs are okay, they give a decent enough thrilling ride, and they're cheap so it gives plenty of parks out there the opportunity to get something that looks pretty menacing and intimidating.

The one problem is that they don't seem to last awfully well without quite a bit of constant tlc. I've ridden some that were perfectly fine other than the bashing through the inlines, and i've ridden others (yes you, FX @ movie park) that were really quite uncomfortable throughout. If only there wasn't all that hunting, I think they'd be held in higher esteem.

I've only been on Serial Thriller and the only problem I had with it was the was the way the harness came down around my shoulders. Why in the world would the make a restraint that encapsulates your body?

so you don't fall out?

i dunno