TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

Disney is looking into Marvel "lands" in several of their parks, but at the moment Universal has exclusivity rights to Marvel in the Orlando area because of Superhero Island at Islands of Adventure. From what I've heard, there are rumors of Marvel popping up in different ways in the California, Tokyo, and China Disney parks.

Universal only owns the rights to the comic book versions. Disney can still do anything based off the movies.

^ From what I understand, that isn't true. I heard that the reason they have had the "Iron Man-o-Rail" wrapped monorail on the Magic Kingdom loop is because it doesn't enter a park, and they specifically cannot run it (or any) Marvel train over Epcot, as it would be "entering" the park. While it isn't tons of evidence, other wrapped monorails have done the Epcot loop - and it would be seen by the most people since it is actually in the park - so I feel like it should be at least somewhat accurate.

Found the contract online:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

I stand corrected.

That's cool! Good find!

From what I understand, the provision of them needing to move forward with a Marvel Universe in Hollywood (as is outlined in the contract) was decided against just months before the Disney buy out happened. Essentially, because they built Spider-Man in Japan in 2004, they had continued to pay their option fee to keep the exclusive rights US-wide (B2 if you're following the contract). They took the two years before paying the option, started paying the option again in 2006 with eyes on a 2011 opening. Supposedly, around June of 2009 Universal decided it was not going to build a Marvel Universe in Universal Hollywood, and decided to cut payments to Marvel. Had they held out for two more months, those rights would have been worth millions for Disney to buy back.

^Not to get too far off topic, but I imagine that had they held out long enough, the lower lot of USH might have become a mini Marvel area---just to spite Disney and lock up that property.

^Not to get too far off topic, but I imagine that had they held out long enough, the lower lot of USH might have become a mini Marvel area---just to spite Disney and lock up that property.

Or they could have just kept putting plans together, and told Disney they would cancel the plans if they were bought out for like $250 million dollars or something outrageous, and they probably would have gotten it, which might have been even more diabolical. Disney would have then essentially paid them a ton to make Potter instead of Marvel.

In one more interesting thing, I heard that Universal had to keep a certain level of show quality with all of the Marvel things, or else Marvel could essentially say that they weren't keeping things up to snuff and pull out from the contract (although I did not see this directly referenced in the contract, so take it with a grain of salt). Because of this, Disney supposedly hired people to go and just ride Spider-Man over and over and over for the first few months of the contract to try to prove that things on it were broke and were not getting fixed. They were looking for everything they could, and after a while they determined that they were really maintaining the rides well, and they couldn't get out of the contract that way, so the idea was stopped.

But damn, I would have loved a job for a couple months of going and riding Spider-Man 25 times a day... while getting paid!

Back to Animal Kingdom, what is everyone else's thoughts about Everest? My disappointment came from not the ride experience, but from the theming which seemed surprisingly minimal. Every time I saw a train go up the lift, it ruined the illusion of how tall the mountain was. The inside-the-mountain parts were just pitch black except if you looked at where the track was where you could see lights below it, ruining the effect I thought. Finally, you crested by the Yeti at the end seemingly just feet from the unload station. If he was really that close, couldn't he just hop down and get you right there?

I was completely surprised to find myself realizing that I like the Matterhorn's theming ten times better than Everest. Am I alone in that?

Once THE MARVEL UNIVERSE opens within the above time period, the term of this agreement shall continue for so long as a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall remain open (and operated consistent with the standards of the next paragraph below) at any Universal Theme Park (allowing for temporary closures for force majeure events or refurbishment/maintenance provided they are being diligently pursued), except for termination for material breach (with written notice and a reasonable opportunity to cure).

Each THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall be operated and maintained in a first class manner consistent with the highest standards of the theme park industry and shall be deemed “open” only when operated in such manner (subject to temporary closures for force majeure events as described in the prior paragraph).

But to answer your comment regarding Everest---I think it is in line with the other mountains. The Yeti is just "whatever" to me because you go by it so quick, but the mountain itself looks good.

Back to Animal Kingdom, what is everyone else's thoughts about Everest? My disappointment came from not the ride experience, but from the theming which seemed surprisingly minimal. Every time I saw a train go up the lift, it ruined the illusion of how tall the mountain was. The inside-the-mountain parts were just pitch black except if you looked at where the track was where you could see lights below it, ruining the effect I thought. Finally, you crested by the Yeti at the end seemingly just feet from the unload station. If he was really that close, couldn't he just hop down and get you right there?

I was completely surprised to find myself realizing that I like the Matterhorn's theming ten times better than Everest. Am I alone in that?

I have always felt it odd that right after you see the Yeti you hit the breaks for the end of the ride while still in the mountain.

But yes, even though I still love the ride. It is in my mind the most over rated ride in all WDW only behind Soarin'. And I to think that Matterhorn and the Thunder Mountains are so much more thoroughly done in terms of the amount rockwork and just things to look at with the caverns and props.

Of course the queue is one of the best I have ever seen. The mountain also (minus the train going up the lift) is just beautiful to look at from a distance. And I am sure the Yeti was really cool when it worked, but you still would only see it for 2 or 3 seconds.

But yes, even though I still love the ride. It is in my mind the most over rated ride in all WDW only behind Soarin'. And I to think that Matterhorn and the Thunder Mountains are so much more thoroughly done in terms of the amount rockwork and just things to look at with the caverns and props.

Agreed on all accounts, especially Soarin. I honestly don't get what people love about that ride *at all*.

Of course the queue is one of the best I have ever seen. The mountain also (minus the train going up the lift) is just beautiful to look at from a distance. And I am sure the Yeti was really cool when it worked, but you still would only see it for 2 or 3 seconds.

I re-rode the ride a second time at the end of the day specifically to walk the regular queue - it was a walk on, so I didn't get a ton of time, but I'd rank it up there with the best queues of all time, and since it was built for Fastpass it integrates that really well. I'd otherwise say Disneyland's Indiana Jones wins best queue, but you now walk past such a huge part of it due to Fastpass, it's not what it once was.

And I totally agree about the Yeti. Why they invested millions of dollars on him when you literally fly by him is beyond me. A much cheaper, lesser animated Yeti would have been just as effectual as that one.

Expedition Everest was probably my favorite coaster at Disney.

Although, even after riding three times, I still couldn't spot the freaking Yeti. All I saw was a strobe light.

I like the ride but like others have said already. The yeti passes by way too quick. Kind of a waste.

What is the Yeti doing in the Matterhorn? He doesn't belong in the Swiss Alps.

Regarding Soarin', next time take a look at the average person riding it. Those people are the people who rave about it and those people are not your typical hardcore enthusiast.

What is the Yeti doing in the Matterhorn? He doesn't belong in the Swiss Alps.

Regarding Soarin', next time take a look at the average person riding it. Those people are the people who rave about it and those people are not your typical hardcore enthusiast.

I don't get the yeti on Matterhorn either, but the mountain itself feels better done.

As for Soarin, I would tend to agree, but my wife is definitely in the non-enthuiast crowd (won't ride most coasters, Tower of Terror, or even Splash Mountain for that matter, and she thought it was silly.

• 2 months later...

I though Disney's ANIMAL Kingdom was suppose to be a park about 3 types of animals; Real, The Past, and Fantasy. The Fantasy Animals were suppose to come but some Imagineer took it to Universal. But where does Avatar go in the 3? There not real, they never existed but is this the Imagineers answer to fantasy animals? I though DAK was for atleast animal look a likes not human look a likes. If they want a movie land for Avatar then move it to DHS if not give the rights to Universal and let Universal party with that. Even though it sounds like Avatarland will have an awe-inspiring views and looks and most likely a GREAT E-Ticket ride it just doesn't Fit in. I think everybody that disagrees likes the idea of the land but not the park it will be located in. Maybe have Avatarland move to DHS? Or maybe have Avatarland start up a WHOLE new idea of a NEW Disney Theme Park?

^There are fantasy animals in Avatar (read: Disney already developed a human-flown dragon and debuted it over at Magic Kingdom), so I'm not sure I really understand where you're coming from. The point isn't for you to walk around looking at blue people the whole time. Avatar and the world of Pandora fit more perfectly at Animal Kingdom than at any other Disney park - the entire movie is literally about conservation and our relationship with the environment.

^ I just hope that Disney puts some weird looking animals that look Pandora-like and to add to the animal-Pandora effect, and they better hide the blue people. At the same time it will be interesting if Avatarland includes buildings that are Army-Type like the movie. If they do then it will kill the aspect of having an "All-Natural Park".

I though Disney's ANIMAL Kingdom was suppose to be a park about 3 types of animals; Real, The Past, and Fantasy. The Fantasy Animals were suppose to come but some Imagineer took it to Universal. But where does Avatar go in the 3? There not real, they never existed but is this the Imagineers answer to fantasy animals? I though DAK was for atleast animal look a likes not human look a likes. If they want a movie land for Avatar then move it to DHS if not give the rights to Universal and let Universal party with that. Even though it sounds like Avatarland will have an awe-inspiring views and looks and most likely a GREAT E-Ticket ride it just doesn't Fit in. I think everybody that disagrees likes the idea of the land but not the park it will be located in. Maybe have Avatarland move to DHS? Or maybe have Avatarland start up a WHOLE new idea of a NEW Disney Theme Park?

Looks like there are plenty of "fantasy animals" in this flick to me.

^^ Well thanks for reminding me about that. I just wonder how the Imagineers would pull that off. I do hope Disney uses that dragon thing they used for Fantasyland's Expansion opening although that fire breathing effect won't happen. I wonder if that Dragon contraption is a test for a night-time show for Disney's Animal Kingdom?

I wouldn't worry about WDI not be able to pull off a themed land to Pandora. They have a pretty good track record you know?

And wondering how a land themed to Pandora wouldn't fit into a park with a TON of trees already is a little baffling.

I know the Imagineers will pull it off, I want Avatar land to be done. It's just going to be very interesting to how it looks. If Disney will make it as immersive as Cars Land is then we got a Winner. What suck's is that we won't see this Avatar Land Project start construction until late this year or maybe not even start this year. (They need to complete the Lion King Theater) I wouldn't be surprised if by next summer the Avatar project will only have some buildings halfway constructed. Most likely 2015 will be the year to enter Pandora.

Here is part of an interview posted a few pages back with Joe Rohde about working on the Avatar project.

What are you looking forward to next?

When I think about the AVATAR story and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I see the value systems that underlie both. We have the opportunity to tell that story in a way that will make the AVATAR experience feel like a natural part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

All of us who are designers have an opportunity to take the work we are given and make it something unexpected. That’s how we help the company to grow and expand into new areas.

Sounds like they are going for that immersive factor to me.