TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

^I have ridden it at various times during the season (even as far back as opening year) and I agree that the ride is VERY smooth, but there is a lot of shuffle in that s-turn before the final curve and dip into the brakes. It just doesn't track super well there; however, everywhere else on the ride is insanely smooth.
There's been something with that one Track Joint on the Lake Turn since the day it opened. That just chews up the Guide Wheels and then makes the Half Pipe Pretty darn rough.

Maybe it's another surprise that this coaster will be using chain lift launch? Like Tornado at Bakken.

Oh man oh man, you gotta not say this stuff and get my hopes all raised again. That would be so freaking cool, as unlikely as it is.

I know just how they'd announce it too. They'd post the first POV during testing and write "Oh my, it looks like that lift hill is running awfully fast..."

Technical question, do all lifts like this have two chains running side-by-side like Fahrenheit?

^Yeah, I know. Gerstlauer only uses one because they have traditional anti roll-backs.

Actually Gerstlauer's chain lift is more like Intamin's cable lift. Just let the chain replaces the cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only vertical lift coasters with traditional lift system might be Toboggans(including knock-offs), HRRR, SBF's tower coaster(Including the knock-offs)

^Yeah, I know. Gerstlauer only uses one because they have traditional anti roll-backs.

Actually Gerstlauer's chain lift is more like Intamin's cable lift. Just let the chain replaces the cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only vertical lift coasters with traditional lift system might be Toboggans(including knock-offs), HRRR, SBF's tower coaster(Including the knock-offs)

Actually, Gerstlauer's Chain Dog System for their Euro Fighters is the same type of system employed by Schwarzkopf on their Looping Stars, Double Loopings, etc.

Anyone else hoping that with the new coaster we also get a nice big "Welcome to Knoebels" sign at the entrance, or the place where most people enter? I know it's a little awkward since the park doesn't have any kind of fence around it, but a big sign over the main midway would really up the presentation and excitement factor when you first get there. Right now it's like "oh hey, it's the pavilions... oh hey, it's Skloosh... oh hey, I'm in Knoebels".

Actually, Gerstlauer's Chain Dog System for their Euro Fighters is the same type of system employed by Schwarzkopf on their Looping Stars, Double Loopings, etc.

It's also the same Fahrenheit uses with the difference that it has two.

I know. What I was saying was that the anti roll-back system is traditional, not the chain.

Anyone else hoping that with the new coaster we also get a nice big "Welcome to Knoebels" sign at the entrance, or the place where most people enter? I know it's a little awkward since the park doesn't have any kind of fence around it, but a big sign over the main midway would really up the presentation and excitement factor when you first get there. Right now it's like "oh hey, it's the pavilions... oh hey, it's Skloosh... oh hey, I'm in Knoebels".

Possibly, but I doubt it because that way that you mentioned (near Sklooosh) isn't the only way to enter the park.

EDIT: Plus, they already have a "gateway" overhead road sign on Knoebels Parkway off of PA 487.

Edited by A.J.

You don't necessarily need to enter by Skloosh. My first time to Knoebels, we immediately made a bee-line to Phoenix before even seeing the Knoebels sign.

Plus, there's always this sign before parking...

1015796_10100560591518127_647489740_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the park used to be a whole lot smaller as well. Isn't the light-up sign by the Alamo restaurant the park's original front entrance?

Yes, at first the only thing opposite the lighted entry sign were the picnic pavilions, parking, and Crystal Pool.

It wasn't until the early 2000s that they closed down the road for good. This though was probably the best move for the park as you had to play Frogger getting from the parking to the park.

Really? Was it only back in the 2000s? I was once there when they had AXS and I could have sworn that the road was closed, but the traffic lights were still there.

• 4 weeks later...

I threw together a NoLimits 2 mockup of the 2015 ride to allow for a POV vid, so here it is! It was put together pretty quickly so there may be some pumps and clearance issues and such, but you get the idea. Enjoy, and let me know if you want me to share the park file.

screenshot-2014-03-02-20-25-38.thumb.jpg.0433d68a36b5b848d4b962b65f44116a.jpg

Overview

screenshot-2014-03-02-20-44-23.thumb.jpg.2f77df4ada44675918f34771ab262dc4.jpg

Different angle

Vid:

It may be, but to be fair I just took the height and basically eyeballed the rest. It's mostly just to give the general idea, I'll probably revise it once more info comes out. However, bunch of the clearances are already pretty tight, and the whole thing looks about the same as the one from Knoebels if you view it from the same perspectives.

Wow, what a ride I had on the simulator! Cannot wait to ride the real thing if Knoebels go by that design. The corkscrew near the end caught me by surprise and the helix reminds me of the ending part of the old Galaxy coasters.

When the park puts that coaster in next season, then I feel that Knoebels will be the place to go to ride a top design coaster, to ride some classic rides, ride their famous dark rides, ride not one but two carousels, ride not one but two of their trains, and ride some rides you don't see other parks offer (I mean - what other park can you drive a motorboat and ride the Looper?). And when you need a break, break out your quarters and play some Pokereno and Fascination and win tickets to trade in for some cool prizes.

KNOEBELS - IT'S HAPPENING!!!