TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

^ I never knew the old grannies loved bumper boats so much. The times I've been to Knoebels, it was mainly like 10-13 year old boys on them. Never saw adults ride the things.

That's what I'm saying! I was laughing out loud trying to imagine some of those old ladies actually riding the stupid things, who knew bumper boats were so popular with the geriatric crowd. Some have pointed out that many of the complainers are probably getting bumper boats mixed up with the motor boats, which is actually a unique family attraction (I wouldn't be sorry to see those go either, but to each their own). Also I wish some of the parents who say how disappointed their kids will be would actually talk to their kids about which they'd prefer, a coaster or boats. When they see that cobra roll from the parking lot, bumper boats will be the furthest thing from their minds.

BTW that rendering can't be the final layout, can it? Because I'm not seeing an immelman, or any straight bunny hops, and also it's got the launch section before the first hill...

Unless of course by "immelman" they meant "barrel roll", since I am seeing that, and they have the straight section of track so they can have that track that wraps around the lift hill and threads the loop, which is awesome by the way.

The Immelmann is an Immelman Turn, after the Loop. Contrary to popular belief, the Immelmann Turn is the Original Immelmann (Named after Max Immelmann from WWI) not the Modern Inversion. Also, the Airtime Hill is just before the Vertical Loop, after the Cobra Roll, if the Concept Art is correct.

The name combined with the long track before the lift combined with the choice of manufacturer makes me strongly suspect this was originally intended to be a launch coaster like Wicked, but they had budget problems at the last minute (and stuck with the name since they already registered the trademark). A vertical lift has a unique thrill all its own so I'm not that disappointed, but it does take away some of the ride's uniqueness. I wish we could, like, hold a fundraiser to get it to be a launcher. I wonder if it would be possible to convert it later on if they decide they have the money.

The name combined with the long track before the lift combined with the choice of manufacturer makes me strongly suspect this was originally intended to be a launch coaster like Wicked, but they had budget problems at the last minute (and stuck with the name since they already registered the trademark)

That's an interesting point, I hadn't thought of that but it does make sense.

Complete speculation on my part...could the long length of track between the station and lift possibly be enclosed for the final ride? Either just a tunnel like the pre-lift on Phoenix or a dark ride-style section such as Blue Fire/Deep Space/etc.? I'm not familiar with NoLimits, so I'm not sure how difficult doing such a thing with with this rendering would have been, especially since the station is depicted without a roof.

When Wicked blows an LSM Drive, it only takes a week or so to get a new Drive from InTraSys in Germany. I would imagine a Lift Chain is more of a Problem. It does indeed seem odd there is what could be used as a Launch Track. Perhaps the Power Requirements and Cost of Infrastructure was too great. Even with the Flywheel Inverter being used as a Buffer on Wicked, it still sucks a lot of Power. When the Flywheel wasn't working this summer, you could actually hear every launch through every electrical transformer in the park. Let's also hope the Weldments on the Columns are Good this time.

^always kinda weird to hear about this kind of "problems" from the US. But considering how often our Washington DC office reports power outages each year.

In the last 10 years I experienced no power outage at home - suburb of Hamburg - and only two outages in the city center. The longer one was one christmas evening and with our emergency diesel on even our christmas tree was lit up while the surroundings were dark - cool sight.

Maybe they will add a pre-drop hold element like on the B&M dive machines to spice it up...

The ride really does look great! I love Wicked up until the MCBR, but after that, it just kinda wanders and has a bad shuffle on the s-turn. I've ridden Wicked at least 20 times, so its just a bummer that the first half is so spectacular, but the second half doesn't match up. This, on the other hand, looks fantastic the whole way around!

^I have ridden it at various times during the season (even as far back as opening year) and I agree that the ride is VERY smooth, but there is a lot of shuffle in that s-turn before the final curve and dip into the brakes. It just doesn't track super well there; however, everywhere else on the ride is insanely smooth.