TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on TPR. I'm going to be at SFOT on either the third or fourth of June as a part of a graduation present from my aunt to my stepbrother and I. I looked up the price for a gold flashpass and offered to split it with my stepbrother, who is totally unwilling to drop a dime on anything. Between rent and other expenses I won't be able to pay for the whole thing, so I'm just going to do without it. Should I expect to just do a beeline for TG, Titan, and Freeze before I get out, or will the lines be pretty reasonable since it is the very start of the season?

They must be afraid someone is going to jump out

Some parks have these policies to avoid lawsuits. Yes, you read that right.

Astroworld adopted a policy on their coasters that there must alway be two riders in the back seat. When I asked what was so different about the back seat vs the next-to-last seat (where you could ride solo), the response was that if a rider were to get injured or do something stupid that caused someone else to get injured, there would be witnesses. In the back row, since nobody is behind you, the witness would have to be in the seat next to you.

Considering how easy it would be for a rider to be dragging his hand in the water on a log flume, then get it caught between the boat and the flume wall, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason for their "no singles" policy there, too.

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on TPR. I'm going to be at SFOT on either the third or fourth of June as a part of a graduation present from my aunt to my stepbrother and I. I looked up the price for a gold flashpass and offered to split it with my stepbrother, who is totally unwilling to drop a dime on anything. Between rent and other expenses I won't be able to pay for the whole thing, so I'm just going to do without it. Should I expect to just do a beeline for TG, Titan, and Freeze before I get out, or will the lines be pretty reasonable since it is the very start of the season?

Of the three, Freeze is BY FAR the slower line. I'd hit NG first and get a few rides in before the line gets crazy. Titan's line gets long, but it really moves well so that's not as much of an issue. Save Freeze for last when the park starts to thin out - or depending on how well you can take Texas heat, do it right in the middle of the day. Lots of folks will be cooling off at a lunch spot or hitting the water rides, not remembering that Freeze's queue is mostly indoors and cool, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new shows this year (i-luminate or AGA-BOOM)? They just started Saturday, and I'm wondering if it's worth spending the time to go see them on my next visit.

Apparently Takis make you go boom.

Those Takis are really good, but I prefer the Doritos version.

1006012465_WP_000055(Medium).jpg.3a2f40b2afc198faa3be6546e780093f.jpg

I'm looking for some info on what to expect line-wise on a Sunday in July at the park. First, I'll put out the disclaimer that I understand that lines vary depending on weather, special events, day of week, etc and that there's really no perfect formula for predicting lines. However, I believe that for people who frequent the park often, they could provide me with a good estimate for what Sundays in July are like based off of experience. I'd like to know the worst case scenario for a typical July Sunday. We are planning on buying Gold Flashpasses and are really most concerned about the Texas Giant line since we can't use the Flashpass on that. One person in our group hasn't been to the park before, so he will want to ride all of the coasters (including the Coyote coaster).

Also, does anyone know how big of a difference the wait time is for Gold compared to Platinum? I know they mentioned that Platinum is a 90% reduction in time, but no numerical values are given for Gold.

Any help is appreciated.

Don't forget your kid for Coyote

Sunday you will be fine until after church is out and people have stuffed their faces, then the crowd level starts to pick up. Knock out NTAG first(NTAG can see waits up to 90 minutes an hour into opening) while queuing up Titan on the Pass. After Titan, I would cut back through to Shockwave (should be able to sit on it a few rides up until 11:30ish) while queuing up Freeze or Batman(Batman can see 90-120 minute waits). After Freeze/Batman head around for Judge (don't forget to queue up Panda while you wait for judge) and on the way to Panda try to whore out the kiddie. By then you'll be down to two credits, Runaway and Intathing, both should be on the pass. Doable in three to four hours if you map it out then you'll have plenty of time for the *cough* flats and re-rides.

As has been mentioned Gold will yield up to 75% time off, but depending on the number of people who buy gold and how many are queued up for a particular ride you could see wait times range from 50-75% off actual time.

I believe they let you into the main entrance around 15 minutes before the official 10:30 opening time. And while I believe you can get your flash pass at that time, the paths leading to the coasters will be roped off till 10:30 on the dot.

Thanks for the info!! Can you buy flashpass prior to park opening or do you have to wait for the chain drop to get to the flashpass building? I've never done flashpass, but I know at SFGAM you have to get it after opening.

Get there early. The lines end to back up at the entrance turnstiles fast, and it is a slow trickle through the metal detectors. I recommend a good 45 minutes before park opening. If this will be your only day there, definitely get a flash pass. Reserve your flash pass online. They usually do open the gates before official opening time. I'm assuming you have a SF season pass, but if you don't buy a ticket online with Discover to use the rightmost "Orange Carpet" entrance. Expect weekends in July to be both crowded and hot. Worst case scenario can expect to see New Texas Giant line reach in the 2+ hour range. Definitely ride New Texas Giant first before that line has an opportunity to develop.

Random advice:

Wear sunscreen (seriously). Texas heat is brutal.

Don't make eye contact with the carnival game barkers (They're especially obnoxious this year).

Pandemonium's flash pass line doubles as a single rider entrance. Do with that info what you will.

Raging Rapids will get you wet.

If the Oil Derrick is open. I recommend checking it out.

If Flume One on El Asseradero is open: Ride it!

Ride Shockwave once during the day and once at night.

Enjoy your day!! It really is a great park.

I went last Sunday and was pleasantly surprised by the crowds. I arrived around 1 and saw a moderately crowded parking lot. Got in and headed directly to Freeze, which was a walk-on. Same for Runaway Mountain, Judge Roy Scream, and a few other rides. The lines started to build up around 3 I'd say, so it would appear church and lunch have a big impact on the lines. Get there at opening and you may be able to knock out everything before the crowds arrive.

The real reason for me being there was to see Aga-Boom and iLuminate, which are both good and worth seeing (especially iLuminate).

Thanks for the additional advice. I had been to the park in 2007 and 2008 and both times the Oil Derrick was closed. For me the main reason going to the park is to ride Texas Giant, so hopefully the lines won't get too long. Either way, we can always queue up another ride on the flashpass while waiting.

I just return from my mini-trip to Six Flags Over Texas. I haven't been there in almost 3 years. Not sure why since its only a 4 hr drive from Houston.

Anyways I went yesterday on Sat 6/16 and even though it was packed, there seemed to be short lines except for maybe a few rides. I have two big positives but 1 big negative from my trip.

First the negative- WHY DID THEY CHANGE PINK THINGS? I asked the employee and she tried to explain it to me but seriously I used to love those things.

Now my 2 Positives -

1. I rode Mr. Freeze and loved it. I thought it was cool blasting backwards. It's almost a new ride now.

2. NEW TEXAS GIANT - I absolutely love this ride. It shocked me just how good it was. I rode it twice at night and was so happy it was my last coaster of the night. Its in my top 10 and to be honest (this will shock some) I liked the old Texas Giant, so I was glad this ride was so amazing. So smooth.

So all together, it was a great trip. I got in a few other rides as well. I saw Aga-Boom (not sure if I am spelling that right) and thought it was very fun. Especially for my nieces which one of my nieces rode her very first coaster with loops on Shockwave. Did I mention how great New Texas Giant is?

First the negative- WHY DID THEY CHANGE PINK THINGS? I asked the employee and she tried to explain it to me but seriously I used to love those things.

They switched vendors from Blue Bell to Nestle. I don't know why they changed the flavor from delicious cherry to "cotton candy."

pinkblog-thumb-500x300.jpg.95afb9034036bd38b472c29a441ef525.jpg

They went from this

push.jpg.aa6d2a4271fdbc5f36005ae1e784daee.jpg

To a "cotton candy" flavored push up. Seriously. (imagine this but with grayish pink filling)

875421338_pinkthing(Medium).jpg.3e30e3cdf28ce2ec1da506e4e1236498.jpg

The sign still looks like this though. No warning.

1739160790_thumb_boywithpinkthing(Small).jpg.1f2d9e5a900b96d2482e6068dc3e667d.jpg

From the Six Flags website.

211132_198449003524892_1331750_n.jpg.0c0d444474bd95f7d585d7cf4b7a652d.jpg

I concur.

Looks like they switched from Texas' beloved Blue Bell last year, to Schwans. In fact, according to this article it looks like they've changed it up several times since the park opened: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20110527-six-flags-makeover-of-pink-thing-causes-a-stir.ece

Seems odd to go from Schwans to another vendor after just one year, but it is curious that they switched vendor AND flavor.

I've been to SFOT but never knew about Pink Things before - are they are retro treat they just brought back or they have always had it and just changed what it is for the 2012 season?

Yes its been a tradition at SFOT for many years.

When I asked the employee working, she told me that Blue Bell wanted to sell pink things in the store but Six Flags was against that. So this is Six Flags first try on it. According to her, they have another flavor they will try when they run out of the push ups. But I'm not sure how accurate that is and if the new flavor is closer to the one before.