TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Orlando Options- what would you do?

Since there are a lot of Orlando experts here, I thought I'd ask for some feedback.  I have to attend a conference for work in Orlando May 1st through the 3rd.  I fly into MCO on Sunday April 30th and should hopefully be there around 11:45 am.  Since that day is a freebie, I figured I have to do something while I'm there.  I have come up with these 3 options, and was wondering which you think would be my best betl.  It's been 17 years since I was last in Orlando, so obviously much is new.  But time is definitely a factor.  

1) Sea World.  This is most likely what I'll end up doing since I have never been to the Orlando park, my conference hotel is literally 5 minutes or less away on I-Drive, and price-wise, it's the best value for the time I have available.  I doubt the new stand-up will be open by then, but having Ice Breaker, Mako, Manta, Journey to Atlantis and Kraken as "new-to-me" rides, that's not too bad of a deal.  

2) Islands of Adventure.  More expensive than Sea World?  Yes.  Probably way more crowded than Sea World?  Yes.  Having the opportunity to ride what many people are calling the best coaster ever built?  Well, that's one of the reasons why IOA is high on my list.  Hagrid's is also new since my last visit, as is the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, so that's some big name new rides.  Only problem for me here is I believe there's no line skipping options for Velocicoaster or Hagrid's.  Not sure if I want to kill 2 hours or more in line when my time is limited, but it's still something for me to consider.  

3) Hollywood Studios.  The main reason I'd even consider a visit here is because I am a Star Wars nut and would love to see Galaxy's Edge.  My main concern with this option is that a reservation is required, and I'd be spending $165 to get in and $30 to park, but I'm not guaranteed a ride on Rise of the Resistance... or is that not something that needs to be worried about anymore?  Mickey's Runaway Railway and Toy Story Land is also new to me, but I have ridden Toy Story Mania at DCA, so no need to waste time in line there (even if I did really enjoy it).  

I figure I'll hit both Fun Spot parks at night on the weekdays I'm there since they are open till midnight (that's just crazy, but I'm all for it!) and I have never been to either one aside from riding the Kissimmee Skycoaster.  So any advice you all may have will definitely come in handy.  Thank you!!!  

Hearing that SW has walk-ons has definitely upped the odds that’s where I’ll end up going!  I’d definitely buy LL for Rise, but still it’s at the bottom of my list.  If I had more time, I would have no problem.  Unfortunately, work is getting in the way!  Anyhow, thanks guys.  Much appreciated!  

Anything could work depending on how badly you want to do it, but SeaWorld is by-far the least insane option. I’d do that. Hollywood Studios is insane but doable. I wouldn’t do Universal if you don’t have an AP. No way…

If you do Hollywood Studios, just stack Lightning Lanes all day. This also assumes that your plane has good Wi-Fi. At 7am, get on there and grab probably Slinky if you care or Runaway Railway if you don’t once return times get into the afternoon. Right (and I mean right) at park open, buy an ILL for Rise. There is a standby line, but why do that to yourself? If a time doesn’t pop up, keep refreshing. Then 2 hours after the park opens you can reserve your next Lightning Lane. Keep doing this every 2 hours until you walk into Hollywood Studios with a stack of line skips for the afternoon.

Don’t go to Universal. You won’t get in much. I wouldn’t do Disney either, but I hate it less than I hate the Universal idea. My issue is, what if you buy your Lightning lanes and your ticket and your flight gets delayed by 4 hours? You can’t be spontaneous at-all with Disney.  With SeaWorld you can just buy a ticket when you land and go. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I figured Disney would be a pain due to all the phone checking and planning that needs to be done.   And I didn't realize Universal would be that rough to do.  So Sea World it is.  Haven't been to a Sea World since 2010 in San Diego and having never been to the Orlando park, I can cross that one off my bucket list.  

And to Erik, nothing wrong with that preference.  I prefer Orion and Diamondback to Steel Vengeance. Something about B&M hypers just makes me happy.  Smooth as glass, comfortable restraints and tons of floater air.  Looking forward to trying Mako!  

Again, thank you for your advice.  I do appreciate it and now can look forward to Sea World.  And Fun Spot... White Lightning looks pretty awesome!  

• Like 2

Quick SeaWorld tip: If it’s busy but you don’t want to buy the full Quick Queue for a half-day you can buy single use line skips for Mako, Manta and possibly others for $10 each if you’re short on time.

Nobody at the park seems to know that it’s a thing, but go to the bank of lockers near a ride, buy an unnecessary locker for $1 and then it will ask if you’d like to buy a single use line skip.

We did this a few weeks ago. It does not work for Ice Breaker, those lockers try to sell you a Manta one. They probably just grabbed them from over there and moved them. Lol

• Like 2

^ I noticed the $10 one-time QQ was added to the Ice Breaker lockers  when we were at the park last weekend. It definitely wasn’t there a month ago. 

We’re local and DHS is the only park that we actively avoid where we can. The lines are always significantly longer proportionally than the other Disney parks. 

I get the concern about IOA and while it’s not cost effective whatsoever, the park hasn’t been insanely busy lately and Velocicoaster’s line is typically less than an hour these days. I would personally feel comfortable doing SW and IOA if money is a non issue but otherwise, you’ll have plenty at SeaWorld to keep you busy.  Ice Breaker has been on 1 train the past month or so, so I’d recommend knocking that out with QQ if you can. 

Mako-sure you ride one of the best B&M hypers in row 7! The first drop has quite the kick compared to the older hypers.