TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Those are all active -- simply because the producers know they need to keep them running to stay relevant for the general public.

But, to reiterate -- the Harry Potter film franchise has been (prematurely IMO) ended by its author.

DUDE, you're just not getting it. All you're doing is continually proving our point......all of those rides/attractions are based on franchises that were seemingly "dead" at one point. How is Harry Potter any different by your definition???

Has it not been proven, that in Hollywood, projects never die....they just hibernate? Seriously, I'm all for logical discussions, but this is going nowhere fast.

I think I get it better than you.

J.K. Rowling doesn't live in Hollywood -- She lives in England.

The "make a quick buck" rules don't apply to her mindset -- she already is rich beyond her dreams.

She was incredibly smart to retain full control of her property which is something the creators of the previous mentioned franchises did not do.

That is the difference. Control. Even Spielberg got burned by not having control over his early works (which got recycled as stock footage for TV movies). But Lucas and Rowling have control.

If you "get it better than me," then at least quote me correctly. Thanks.

I'm more puzzled by Otown's comment that Rowling ended the Potter franchise prematurely. Harry grows up, kills the evil wizard who murdered his parents, and finally settles down to a normal life. Sounds like a logical place for an ending to me.

^ You keep trying to convince everybody that HP is a Fad ... it's not working.

BTTF a fad? Are you serious? Just because a ride was removed doesn't mean that the movies aren't popular anymore. My daughter just watched the movies for the first time a few weeks ago and LOVED THEM!!

Right, but I think you're failing to take into account the staying power of a franchise like this in a theme park. Is Little Mermaid or Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs coming out with any more movies? No? Someone tell Disney to stop construction on New Fantasyland! Does Splash Mountain draw huge crowds year after year? Who the hell has watched the Song of the South lately?

Characters can stay recognizable loooong after they stop producing new books or movies, just look at pretty much everything Disney builds. Your Generation Z argument isn't very convincing.

If the parks build quality attractions around a highly recognizable franchise, there's obviously potential for long term popularity. Star Wars still has a huge fan following, I don't see why Harry Potter won't. And while Twilight may be popular now, there characters aren't as easily recognizable and the story doesn't have the broad appeal that HP does.

Characters are recognizable in theme parks because they generally get remakes / new films in theaters.

Snow White is getting a new film coming out next year.

A new live action Little Mermaid film is in development.

All franchises fade -- and some reboots flop miserably when trying to bring them back. Look at what happened recently to Knight Rider and Charlie's Angels.

^ Arguments are thin, and borderline ridiculous. Why don't you just say it "You don't like Harry Potter." I'm with you on that, trust me. And I personally don't think the franchise will be anywhere near as strong in 5 years or have the staying power either.

But I also know when to back out of a conversation.

I suggest you do the same.

Right, but I can't think of many people in Hollywood more "bankable" than James Cameron, can you?

This

Forcing the studio to try to stretch out 7 books into 8 films due to the lack of storylines, yet Warner wanting to keep the films going. But without the films in theaters, I know it will fade like everything else does.

You obviously haven't read the books ...

The fact is, the last 3 movies could have VERY EASILY been split into 2 movies each. At least Book 5 and Book 7. And if I'm not mistaken, JK Rowling was against the idea of splitting the books into two movies at first.

Even with the two movies, there was still a LOT that was left from the books, there was just no way to cram it all in there.

Harry Potter Versus Twilight..... is like the old Star Wars Versus Star Trek debates.

Twilight has a long way to go to match Harry's box office, yet according to most

of the articles -- Potter fans are moving to the Twilight book series since they

have run out of new Potter books

Where are you seeing that there is going to be another Twilight book? There is one more movie coming out next year, that's IT.

And as somebody who has read that piece of crap (again, my daughter wanted to read it), it's the most anti-climactic 1/2 of a book. You want to talk about a studio stretching 1 movie into 2 for financial reasons, there you go.

The last 1/2 of Breaking Dawn is basically going to be 2 hours of standing around doing nothing ... kind of like the last 45 minutes of Return of the King.

Love it or hate it, the Harry Potter series has broader appeal than Twilight. Universal is banking on the idea that Potter will have the same staying power as LOTR. Then again, they did squeeze a lot of years out of Jaws, a series that produced only one good movie.

Dude, Jaws 3D!! Come on!!! Give it some props!!!

But, to reiterate -- the Harry Potter film franchise has been (prematurely IMO) ended by its author.

How does an "author" end a film franchise? She can end the books, which she has ... for now.

Does anybody REALLY think this is the last we'll see of Harry Potter?

DUDE, you're just not getting it. All you're doing is continually proving our point......all of those rides/attractions are based on franchises that were seemingly "dead" at one point. How is Harry Potter any different by your definition???

Has it not been proven, that in Hollywood, projects never die....they just hibernate? Seriously, I'm all for logical discussions, but this is going nowhere fast.

Actually, I've read all seven books.

Which is exactly why I don't think the ending to Deathly Hallows works.

I just don't buy that someone with Harry's talents and skill would just walk away from it all -- just because they grew up

or they defeated the villain.

I mean seriously, if you had the ability to fly on your own -- would you stop doing it just because you grew facial hair??????

^What are you even talking about any more? Like Robb just said, give it a rest. Let's please move on. Potter is going to expand. That is a fact. Rather it is still popular in five years is unknown. It will not change the fact that it will be expanding.

Edited by ernierocker

^^ JK has always said there is more to Harry's life after school, and she may eventually get around to that. But the logical ending took place and that was the end of that story.

I'm more puzzled by Otown's comment that Rowling ended the Potter franchise prematurely. Harry grows up, kills the evil wizard who murdered his parents, and finally settles down to a normal life. Sounds like a logical place for an ending to me.

This.

Or maybe she should have written the "Scouring of Hogsmeade" or something.

^ Arguments are thin, and borderline ridiculous. Why don't you just say it "You don't like Harry Potter." I'm with you on that, trust me. And I personally don't think the franchise will be anywhere near as strong in 5 years or have the staying power either.

But I also know when to back out of a conversation.

I suggest you do the same.

I kinda hate to admit that I own all the Harry Potter books and have all the Blurays.

I actually like Potter -- but I agree with you that it will fade in 5 years.

Lord of the Ring* was absolutely huge 5 years ago -- but that has faded.

It's just a natural progression.... I own all those movies, too.

The Hobbit movie could re-invigorate it -- who knows?

Edited by O-Town77

^What are you even talking about any more? Like Robb just said, give it a rest. Let's please move on. Potter is going to expand. That is a fact. Rather it is still popular in five years is unknown. It will not change the fact that it will be expanding.

I think you keep missing what I've said.

I'm in agreement with what you are saying: Harry Potter will expand.

What I've said is that I think the Potter expansion will replace the remainder of Lost Continent at IOA -- and that

they've got something different planned for the Jaws area. I just don't buy into the train shuttling between the

2 parks rumor.

I think you keep missing what I've said.

I'm in agreement with what you are saying: Harry Potter will expand.

What I've said is that I think the Potter expansion will replace the remainder of Lost Continent at IOA -- and that

they've got something different planned for the Jaws area. I just don't buy into the train shuttling between the

2 parks rumor.

Okay, that's fine. Let's leave it at that. Let's please move the discussion back towards options for Potter expansion and not on the popularity or lasting power of the Potter franchise.

That still doesn't answer my question why Inukaza is off celebrating that the expansion isn't happening in the Studios park based on what he read on TPR. Because I haven't read it anywhere. All I've read is how this rumor would be feasible. (i.e. how the train would fit in with the service roads.)

I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself. I was rather expressing my rage over the fact that our local news station cited rumors it would be happening in the studios with a train linking the two parks as a fact. Now, all the students at my school are 100% convinced it is a already approved deal. Just a little frustrated with people asking me at school.

Sorry for the mixup.

Whether or not the franchise lives to still be popular in five years it doesn't really matter, just go take a walk around Toon Lagoon and you'll find many things that most of the younger generation won't know about, (I.e. Betty Boop, Marmaduke, Popeye, Dudley Do-Right.) Most of the general population don't really care if something is outdated franchise wise, they go for a specific purpose, whether it be WWoHP or Marvel Super Hero Island, or just for a day of fun and thrills with the family.

Life happens, things change, get used to it.

That still doesn't answer my question why Inukaza is off celebrating that the expansion isn't happening in the Studios park based on what he read on TPR. Because I haven't read it anywhere. All I've read is how this rumor would be feasible. (i.e. how the train would fit in with the service roads.)

I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself. I was rather expressing my rage over the fact that our local news station cited rumors it would be happening in the studios with a train linking the two parks as a fact. Now, all the students at my school are 100% convinced it is a already approved deal. Just a little frustrated with people asking me at school.

Sorry for the mixup.

+1

I think that's exactly the only thing that is going on in this thread for the last couple of pages.

The local news has acted like these rumors are a done deal -- I remember many of the same

local news outlets reporting about Six Flags Orlando was about to built in the exact same fashion

about a decade ago.

Until Universal issues the press release and artwork -- we simply have no idea = It is

anybody's guess.

Logistically the train transportation isn't the easiest thing in the world to construct but I think that Universal can make it work if they really want to. Themeatically having a train transport you from London (The Studios Park) to Hogwarts (IOA) is exactly in in line with the stories and I think with the use of video screen windows inside the train could not only work but be one of the coolest theme park experiences around. I mean it really isn't that far between the parks, no farther than concourse transportation systems at most major airports, and I could see a very similar operation in place at Universal. An elevated monorail type train with the Hogwarts express steam engine facade on each end that runs back and forth every 10-15 minutes.

I'm somewhat optimistic about the concept of linking the two parks via train simply because the idea seems so far fetched and illogical that the only way it became a rumor was because there actually might be some truth to it. The past couple of times I've been to the Studios park it has been completely dead, and with Potter as popular as it is currently maybe the best way to get guests over to the Studios is to offer some type of Potter themed section or attraction. I also wonder what the sales numbers for single park vs multipark tickets are since Potter opened. If multipark ticket sales are way down this may be a way to sell more of those tickets and packages, which also happen to be more expensive than the single park options.

I'm somewhat optimistic about the concept of linking the two parks via train simply because the idea seems so far fetched and illogical that the only way it became a rumor was because there actually might be some truth to it.

I think you make a very good point here. The idea is just so "out there" that there almost has to be some substance to it. If someone outside the park just made that up on their own, they have to be some kind of insane genius!

At this point, the rumors are just lining up too well with this 2-park Potter land coming to a reality. Once you have all the information that is out there, it just makes too much sense even if it is batshit crazy.

Disclaimer: And I am saying this knowing full well that it is still a rumor, and could still end up being something different.

Edited by ernierocker

At this point, the rumors are just lining up too well with this 2-park Potter land coming to a reality. Once you have all the information that is out there, it just makes too much sense even if it is batshit crazy.

Exactly, as crazy as it might seem to have two sections in two different parks on the same property themed to the same thing, it makes a ton of sense to the story line of the Books/movies and the needs of the resort. If Potter makes money it makes money no matter how you look at it, and as long as it makes money they're gonna milk it for all it's worth. Tell Disney that there is too much Pixar in their parks, Finding Nemo at 2 different parks, Toy Story at 2 different parks, and I assume they will keep the Little Mermaid stage show at the studios after the Little Mermaid Dark ride opens as well as the Beauty and the Beast stage show. The Pixar examples are not nearly as extreme of an example as Potter but the overall concept is essentially the same.

If this train idea does come true, wouldn't it make sense for it to be elevated so its footprint isn't limited to the service roads? If it could be about 15-20 feet high, then it could be two lanes, which allows more trains, which allows higher capacity, which ultimately makes the queue shorter and faster!

What if the Harry Potter expansion was going into the area directly north and east (the "not used to it's potential" horitculture area and sinbad) and the jaws pad was for something else?

That area (or in that general area) was the rumored location for Potter II before the Jaws news came out. Who knows if that option is still on the table or not though.

Even if the expansion does go in Jaws spot, I still could see Sinbad going bye bye for the new train station. Would make a nice straight shot to Jaws down the service road.

Edited by ernierocker

May I just question... is there any firm evidence so far that it IS expanding to Universal Studios instead of just an IOA extension??

I mean, it does make sense for it to with the London - Hogwarts connection but, surely they could just expand into Lost Continent which is pretty much defunct anyway? I've been reading the thread and yes, while it does make sense for park hopper tickets and getting more people in the Studios, it seems maybe a bit too much faff?

I've just still got a slight niggle about calling it for sure until Universal does confirm anything...