TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Powder Keg is an airtime machine at 110 ft. Airtime has nothing to do with the height of the first drop, but the speed and angle at which the train crests the hills.

Gold Striker is only 108ft and that thing has tons of pop!

One word: Phoenix

This is sort of a question for awclark; how do you ride Kong? SFDK is my local park, and some rides on Kong seem to be better than others. Overall, I know it's an SLC, but if there is a less painful way to ride it, I think I'd really enjoy it.

The trick to riding Kong (and most SLCs or rides with ) is to turn your head in the direction of the turn just before each turn. This keeps contact with the restraint limited to the back of your head makes it easier to keep your head against the restraint so it doesnt bang around. The only ride that I've found this doesn't work on is Revolution at SFMM.

In all seriousness, nobody without "insider knowledge" has any idea what the next SFDK coaster will be.

A 150 foot tall or shorter Batman themed coaster?

Nice guess. The chances of that happening is extremely low and, to be honest, a wild guess is kinda completely pointless to post about...

Small micro update from today I saw the park was very busy, Superman was actually using the upper queue. SFMM was also very very busy and the State Fair that I live next to in Sacramento was as busy as I have ever seen it in my life today, so lots of were people out having fun in the California sun today.

I was between Discovery Kingdom or Great America, so it sounds like picking Great America was a wise choice. Other than an hour for Gold Striker, my longest wait was a half hour for Flight Deck, Psycho Mouse, and Drop Tower.

I was between Discovery Kingdom or Great America, so it sounds like picking Great America was a wise choice. Other than an hour for Gold Striker, my longest wait was a half hour for Flight Deck, Psycho Mouse, and Drop Tower.

Sounds typical for CGA. The park usually doesn't have long lines.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a survey from Six flags with the rider advisory panel program. It was all about possible new season pass options notably ones that last for TWO years but almost all of them had perks removed like no free parking or added black out dates, only weekday entry to other SF parks, etc. though some added perks like free font of the line to one ride every first or 3rd visit and 20-40% discounts on season meal program.

the survey also alluded they will start to sell 2015 passes in September, possibly on the first. Hopefully the deals will be decent and they wont change too much.

In all seriousness, nobody without "insider knowledge" has any idea what the next SFDK coaster will be.

A 150 foot tall or shorter Batman themed coaster?

Nice guess. The chances of that happening is extremely low and, to be honest, a wild guess is kinda completely pointless to post about...

I just want that 3d action theater to open again.

I know this is sort of late, but I have a report from the 4th of July ERT sessions. The deal was, you bring a Coke and give it to the workers and you are let into a specific area of the park for an hour before opening. We went Saturday, July 5, and Oasis Plaza (Medusa, SkyScreamer, Kong) was open. I would have preferred Roar Plaza, because there's 3 great coasters there, but Oasis was okay because Medusa is my personal favorite in the park.

They were 12 minutes late to open the gates, and everyone was sort of angry. But eventually we got in, and we got to Medusa quickly. We got on the first train out- in the front seat!- and had a great ride. After that, there was still no line, so we rode again. And again. And again. And again. 3 out of 5 rides were in the front! It helped that on your way out, they let you use the Fast Pass entrance so that you could ride again quickly.

Next, we took a quick and painful ride on Kong, and then hopped on SkyScreamer just as the park opened and crowds started flowing in. We did the back of the park with no lines, and left.

It was a great day, and I hope to do more ERT soon- It was my first ERT ever.

I'm headed down to the park tomorrow morning. I heard from a non-TPR friend that a few months ago they retracked the bottom of the first drop of Roar and took that horrible pothole-like dip out, thought I'd go see for myself if it's actually an improvement. I didn't realize I haven't actually been to the park since last December...looking forward it. Thinking I might start my day with Kong for a change. No one else does that so I might get my own train. I've ridden it by myself once before and I thought it was actually a smoother ride.

I'm headed down to the park tomorrow morning. I heard from a non-TPR friend that a few months ago they retracked the bottom of the first drop of Roar and took that horrible pothole-like dip out, thought I'd go see for myself if it's actually an improvement. I didn't realize I haven't actually been to the park since last December...looking forward it. Thinking I might start my day with Kong for a change. No one else does that so I might get my own train. I've ridden it by myself once before and I thought it was actually a smoother ride.

Yeah, it's actually shocking how smooth that part of Roar is now, I guess I've gotten used to being beaten to a pulp.

Yeah, it's actually shocking how smooth that part of Roar is now, I guess I've gotten used to being beaten to a pulp.

I rode the one at Six Flags America with the PTCs before the one at Discovery Kingdom, so this one definitely was an improvement.

Just got back from the park, wow serious kudos to the park for retracking the first drop on Roar. They didn't go cheap on the work, they retracked the entire thing and it makes a huge difference. There's no pothole at all anymore, it's as smooth as Roar gets. The ride is quite enjoyable now, I think it's as close to it's original experience as you could expect it to be at this age. I got quite a bit more air time in the front row than usual too, I think as someone said above that might be due to not losing speed in the hole that used to be at the bottom of the first drop.

20140804_132156.thumb.jpg.46889421c85b0dc63d3c02d3eba3957c.jpg

Retracked first drop. (Photo taken through fence, I was not in a restricted area, in fact this was taken from outside of the park)

20140804_132140.thumb.jpg.138ccfb7931502f29b4e1bd4c34744bf.jpg

Another look at the retracked first drop.

I visited the park yesterday for the Slurpee Ride Event. We swung by in the morning and picked up Slurpees; I took some pics and rode Roar, V2, and Superman. We came back at around 7:00 (the park closes at 8:00), and started at Medusa. My park strategy is to start at the back of the park (Roar, Superman, etc.) and go to Medusa later; Everyone starts at Medusa, and it gets a huge line in the morning, but it's a walk-on in the end of the day. We walked on Medusa twice, then headed to the back of the park. We got in a ride on Roar and Superman, and then the park closed. But that was okay; we had Slurpee wristbands, so we could stay.

Open at the ERT were Roar and Superman. (Tsunami Soaker was too, but nobody rode it- it was nighttime!) Luckily, only a handful of people were there- probably only enough to fill one Superman train and one Roar train, and yes, Roar was running one train.We started with a couple of rides on Superman, then stopped at the bathroom and then went to Roar. As the night got darker, we stayed on Roar- Now it is fairly smooth and filled with awesome airtime. I got in 3-4 rides in the very back row and 2-3 somewhere in the middle. We could have gotten another ride in, but the train stopped just outside of the station, and we had to wait for maintenance- and this was 5 minutes before ERT ended! Luckily, the ride ops were fun, entertaining, and reassuring, whether they were doing the limbo, singing "When you're happy and you know it", or encouraging selfies.

We ended the night with a somewhat creepy walk to a near-deserted parking lot.

^^ I couldn't agree more! Roar has been fairly smooth lately, and I have noticed a lot of airtime. It is now one of my favorites in the park; i think it's tied with Superman for second, with Medusa in first.

Yeah it sounds crazy but I think Roar is my second favorite ride in the park now behind Superman. Comfortable + airtime = win.

They were running two trains on Roar and it was very good up front. It had good pacing and air while being smooth enough.

Overall, I had a great day. A majority of the employees were friendly and trying to pump guests up before rides. Lines weren't bad, as most were 15-30 minutes. The exception was Superman, as the 4th row was closed, so the ride's already miniscule capacity was reduced even further.

They were running two trains on Roar and it was very good up front. It had good pacing and air while being smooth enough.

Overall, I had a great day. A majority of the employees were friendly and trying to pump guests up before rides. Lines weren't bad, as most were 15-30 minutes. The exception was Superman, as the 4th row was closed, so the ride's already miniscule capacity was reduced even further.

Why is that row closed?