TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Just got back from the park, 40 minute waits, still one train op but there were some guys doing something with purple train.

Also, V2 was testing throughout the day. There were multiple ops in the station. I feel like it'll open soon, maybe even tomorrow

V2 is open now.

Hooray! Are there any obvious changes? It was down for an awfully long time it seemed.

I was at the park today. Joker was running two trains very smoothly. The ride didn't open until around noon, though; I was on the first train. Lines weren't bad all day, and V2 was finally open. The Joker line was going really fast and even when it looked long it didn't take more than 20-30 minutes. Medusa also had no line, I rode it 4 times.

I was there again today as well as yesterday. Let me compare the days.

Yesterday was brutal. I was there at opening to ride Joker but it didn't open until about 12:30. The line was almost all the way to the entrance but I waited in it anyway, it took over an hour with one-train operation and long waits without moving in the sun. After that, the line was back to about 30-40 minutes but it broke down again around 3. I had to meet some friends for dinner so I waited until about 3:30 and left. It was running again as I was leaving the park, and apparently ran both trains later. But me, in 6 hours at the park, got 2 rides on Joker and one on V2.

(Speaking of V2, I forgot how much fun this coaster is, and it's awesome seeing Joker from the top! I didn't notice anything really different with it except new padding and OTSRs, but there's still a decent amount of rattle and it did give me a bit of a headache that day).

Today, I arrived a bit after opening to find a small group of hopefuls outside of a closed Joker. Today I had even less time with a planned departure around noon, so I rode V2 (which didn't give me a headache today, probably because I was more hydrated) and then waited with the hopefuls at Joker. The employees kept saying they didn't know how long it would be, but they let us wait in the shade at least. It was testing both trains but they kept telling us it might still be a while and to check back later. I ended up meeting coasternate and chatting for a bit before it finally opened round 11:45!! By then, a lot of people had left so we were 4th, 5th, and 6th in line, and they got the back while I nabbed the front. It was running AWESOME, like even better than the last two days. We got back in line and it was only about 20 minutes with both trains running, and we got lucky and nabbed the front and back again...on the PURPLE TRAIN!!! OMG... that back row ride really reassured me why I still rank this as my favorite of the 4 RMCs I've been on,... the airtime was just amazing and it was HAULING. So comparatively, my two rides on Joker and 1 on V2 were better than yesterday, and I was at the park only about 2 hours instead of 6.

Here's my on-ride photo, you can tell how exciting it was especially after all the waiting.

a9042fec08e949609fcba867ea98c8ea.thumb.jpg.548a5735939aaa64a69f9fb45135c933.jpg

Pure bliss

Last week I finally got the chance to ride Joker for the first time. From what I'm hearing from others I have to go back and ride it again. It opened an hour after the park did and I got the first train of the day in the front row (green train). With the previous RMCs I've ridden I thought it would be just as forceful as the others. It didn't happen. Not to say that it was a bad ride even though the time I went on it might have been. I'm a fan of the floaty hang time it has. It's a great addition to the park without a doubt, but it lacks the intensity compared to the other RMCs. For right how it's the weakest one on my list, but that all could change when I give it a try in the back rows.

I didn't have time to ride it a second time because of the one train operation. My home park is SFMM and I usually drive to SFDK and back in one day.

^From my experience, it often runs slower than other RMCs but there are times that it's like OMFG and tears through the course. I really think it's gonna break in more over time especially as the bugs are worked out. You definitely need to try the back left for the drop at least.

I haven't gotten a night ride on it yet, has anyone gotten a few that can compare?

First ride of the day is always sluggish. We rode NTaG in the back row first ride of the day once and it was really slow. RMCs run best later in the day after operating for a while, just like any other coaster.

Usually a frequent visitor to SFNE but since I'm in San Jose for an internship it looks like I'm headed to SFDK tomorrow! Anything I should expect? Trip plan? What rides should I hit up first? What are some other rides to check out? Is there a zoo? What are the best shows? Best food?

Thanks and I am going to have a blast!

Usually a frequent visitor to SFNE but since I'm in San Jose for an internship it looks like I'm headed to SFDK tomorrow! Anything I should expect? Trip plan? What rides should I hit up first? What are some other rides to check out? Is there a zoo? What are the best shows? Best food?

Thanks and I am going to have a blast!

Being a Sunday, expect a pretty big crowd. If Joker's operating at opening, ride that first, in case it happens to go down for a long period of time later. Superman and V2 are also right next to that. Medusa can get long lines, but they typically move fairly quickly when they run both trains.

Pretty much all of the large flat rides are good, with the exception of their Top Spin, Voodoo, which has been closed for awhile now. You shouldn't waste your time with Pacific Rim 5D, though.

It's a Zoo/Amusement Park hybrid, so if you're tired of waiting in lines, there's animals to see.

Definitely see each of the marine life shows. They're pretty fun to watch.

Food selection is pretty lackluster, unfortunately.

I took a quick visit to the park today. Quick because it was absolutely mobbed. When I arrived at 11:30, the Joker had all 3 of the long sections of queue filled. And, I'm sorry to report, it was back down to one train operation. Though, for a twist, the green train was the one out of commission. I wasn't willing to wait in that long line, nor any of the others. I turned right around and went home, without riding anything. I guess that's a luxury of being a local with a season pass. This is also the second time I've come to the last of a series of BAFF days. The last one was crowded as well. I think I see a pattern here. Lesson learned. While I do love summer (I'm a teacher, after all), I'm looking forward to those cold, dreary Sundays in the fall and winter, when I can get the Joker all to myself.

I took a quick visit to the park today. Quick because it was absolutely mobbed. When I arrived at 11:30, the Joker had all 3 of the long sections of queue filled. And, I'm sorry to report, it was back down to one train operation. Though, for a twist, the green train was the one out of commission.

I figured this would happen shortly after the purple train was running again. They probably didn't want to shut down the entire ride to repair a problem that was afflicting both trains at the same time.

Testing is ultra slow. Not sure what mechanic is waiting on. It's something with the computer system from the looks. I can't see anything wrong with the trains. Only green has tested. Purple was unloaded. Not left station yet.

It's been the restraint and control system since the ride launched. They've been having problems on both trains with restraints not registering as secure even when they are. I don't know if that's the only problem, but it's been recurring.

Testing is ultra slow. Not sure what mechanic is waiting on. It's something with the computer system from the looks. I can't see anything wrong with the trains. Only green has tested. Purple was unloaded. Not left station yet.

It's been the restraint and control system since the ride launched. They've been having problems on both trains with restraints not registering as secure even when they are. I don't know if that's the only problem, but it's been recurring.

yeah. Both trains are up and running now

Wow they're still having problems with the restraints?? We were there back in June and they kicked us off when someone's restraint wasnt locking even though the system cleared the train for dispatch

They were also having problems with the sensors on the air gates that day

im back home over here in Stockton. we left the parks parking lot around 5:10 pm. my ride count was

row 9, right side on Joker around 3-4 pm, decently short line with maybe a 18-20 min wait. a ride op called me out as a single rider and put me on row 9. 8th time oberall so I didn't care where i sat. It was cool seeing 4 cars do all the turns and elements slightly before hand. But i had my new S7 phone in my pocket and even with the armorbox case I had on it I still kept my hand over my pocket holding it shut. other then that I hit up penguin 4 times and and bumper cars once as well as superman with a exit pass i was given by guest relations for being kicked out of jokers line even from the shaded part at the entrance for the breakdown early in today's operation. i was literally right behind the turnstill and showed them that photo I took of the stuck train on the break run. it wasn't "stuck" there but was held there for a long time, around 5-7 mins.

other then that I saw the tiger show again, got the teriaki bone-in chicken wings at the sports bar and other meh food off my dining pass. All the while hitting up the "40" pokestops in pokemon go. Not nearly as many Go players as I was expecting,

Jeez, seeing all these stories about the problems with Joker is making me nervous. I'm driving up from LA to visit on Sunday primarily to ride Joker, and now I'm getting worried it could be difficult to even get on.

So I should expect a delayed opening, one train, and possible extended closures? When it is running with one train, what's been the average wait time? Is it longer than Superman?

So I should expect a delayed opening, one train, and possible extended closures? When it is running with one train, what's been the average wait time? Is it longer than Superman?

I haven't been back in a week but from every week I have been there, I would say yes. If you don't see it testing in the morning, expect a delayed opening. Everyone is gonna run there anyway so if you go and wait it out, you could be on the first train.

Also, one train op on a weekday was about a 30-40 minute wait, but it was a slow and painful wait in the heat so bring water. I have no idea how long the line might get on a Sunday. If it's through all the switchbacks, it takes over an hour.