TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I think the Awakening is a great way to start off Fright Fest!

I concur! It really sets up the mood, and I like the song choices for it ("Monster" by Skillet and "Sweet Dreams"? Hell yeah!).

Thanks for the TR! Glad to hear that the new maze was good! Total Darkness was underwhelming.

Went to the park here on November 2nd, last day if Fright Fest. the park wasn't nearly as packed as it was 2 weeks ago where they halfway if not more filled up the overflow fairgrounds parking lot.

Ride counts:

Cobra twice each with ride op sending the train trough twice in a row (guess that's normal now.)

Medusa twice (front, back)

Roar twice.

Superman twice (on the second ride, the random guy I rode with in the front had a go pro chest harness on but he was waiting until the last moment to attach the camera to it. Personally if someone's going trough that effort I don't care and my asking about it made the ride op's finally notice it. There's enough POV of Superman anyways. But I can certainly understand why the guy would want his own POV.)

Sky Screamer once

The looney tunes kiddie coaster because I don't think I ever went on it, so credit.

Anyways, most of the food vendors were selling 2015 cups and I never saw people with day of purchase wristbands. So, free refills for everybody for 2015 I guess. Also, I found out I can refill my 2015 cup at the freestyle machine near the main gates and they have ginger ale in it.

I'm going to try to post some pictures I took at the park in August.

IMG_8633.thumb.JPG.06b1d5e655440ae697dabeb6e312cc72.JPG

Park on the way in

IMG_8641.thumb.JPG.7ab13070552c18eea8540632ce1c519a.JPG

Medusa and Roar

IMG_8654.thumb.JPG.67f70d57d1e345135dfa2b3a840a8640.JPG

A lucky ride op taking a spin on Superman in the morning

IMG_8659.thumb.JPG.3d46cbf11b79435905a1002730cf4d12.JPG

This used to be my avatar!

IMG_8662.thumb.JPG.3afd5d9a526c0c964b7d8c87878c00c8.JPG

Cool shot of Medusa

240365746_IMG_8663(2).thumb.JPG.78e668f60908281614e467f48e2f327c.JPG

Superman!

IMG_8665.thumb.JPG.21cb9fba9af8f7a0a6f3096493df7743.JPG

I like this shot of the torturous slow barrel roll.

IMG_8669.thumb.JPG.c58c0b650fac791e23a6278d51af02d8.JPG

Riders on V2 enjoying their ride

IMG_8677.thumb.JPG.70c3287fee6af2cc0355fa071c3c7fc4.JPG

BACK SPIKE! But no holding brake.

IMG_8685.thumb.JPG.09c09cfc2bdcd0e328c3396000ee825f.JPG

Cool shot of both Roar and Medusa, my two favorites in the park.

IMG_8686.thumb.JPG.b47ce09a57972f5781b74333cd478fd1.JPG

ZERO-GEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_8683.thumb.JPG.6a7c8787ea65e7ec518b31097be669ff.JPG

Bye-Bye, SFDK!

I went to the park today on 11/10/2014, crowds were pretty light, possibly lightest I've seen on my trips in 2014.

1. Bumper Cars weren't open, fright fest wall's were still up.

2. Veterans/Active Duty service members and their parties (friends/family) get wristbands that grant double rides on oasis plaza. Nov 8-11th. I didn't tell my dad about this but he did end up bringing his proof of being in the Navy for vietnam, so I ended up riding medusa twice in a row without getting off and that was it for me for inversions really.

3. Ended up running into and talking to the park manager in Studio 6F store. She ended up saying SFDK is going to do a offer at the start of next year, like 40 dollar value for 20 dollars. apparently vouchers for a Carmel apple, cotton candy (or that type of fare) and buying it increases your season pass to a level above even gold. Giving you 20% off any purchases of 15 dollars or higher (before tax). She said I should keep my eye out for it. Not sure if it makes the pass give anything other then a extra 5% discount though. I also think she said it was a add-on to the season dining pass, which would make sense I suppose.

I had a great visit to the park yesterday, possibly the best I've ever had. Crowds were comically light. I went straight to Superman at park opening, and by 12:45 I had ridden it 20 times, not counting 2 back-to-back rides on Roar and one on V2. I essentially had ERT on Superman for 2 hours. When I first got to the ride, I walked right on to the front seat. After the ride was over, there was nobody in the station. So, I stayed where I was. Same thing after that 2nd ride was done. After my 3rd ride without getting out, there was someone waiting for the front. So, I switched to the back seat, where nobody was waiting. After 2 back row rides, the people in the front left, and, once again, nobody was in the station. So, I moved back to the front for 5 more rides in a row without getting up. The ride operators were saying, "Don't throw up. Do that at Roar." They were all keeping count while looking at me like I was nuts. It was great! And that was in only 20 minutes.

All said and done, my ride count was:

Superman x 21

Roar x 4

V2 x 2

Medusa x 5

I dream of park days like that.

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the boards and just wanted to say hi. My family bought season passes (with season dining) in October 2013. We have been about 25 times since then.

Saturday, November 15, was one of the most pleasant days we ever had there. Weather was perfect and crowds very insanely light. We usually get there 30-45 minutes before official opening time but my son had a bowling tournament so we got there closer to 1:00. Still, everything was a walk-on.

My 13-year old rode Medusa and Hammerhead for the first time! Good times.

Question. Does anyone here think the soda refill wristband is worth it? I have four bottles but I always just buy the 99 cent refills with our meals. It runs just over $8 instead of $16 for four wristbands. Yes, I know I can get a refill and get back in line, but that's a lot of back and forth...especially as slow as the food lines move. Any tips in that regard?

Question. Does anyone here think the soda refill wristband is worth it? I have four bottles but I always just buy the 99 cent refills with our meals. It runs just over $8 instead of $16 for four wristbands. Yes, I know I can get a refill and get back in line, but that's a lot of back and forth...especially as slow as the food lines move. Any tips in that regard?

It depends on how much you plan to use your cup. It's all down to cost. If you're only going to get one or two drinks that day, the 99 cent refills would be better. If it's a really hot day and you plan to drink a lot, get the wristband. I've gotten the wristbands many times at various Six Flags parks, and I've always gotten my money's worth.

Superman twice (on the second ride, the random guy I rode with in the front had a go pro chest harness on but he was waiting until the last moment to attach the camera to it. Personally if someone's going trough that effort I don't care and my asking about it made the ride op's finally notice it. There's enough POV of Superman anyways. But I can certainly understand why the guy would want his own POV.)

Sometimes I'm amazed what the ride ops dont notice, or maybe pretend not to because they don't want to deal with it. Thats pretty ballsy of the guy to try and "sneak" a chest harness onto the ride. Where in the world was he hiding it while getting into the train and being checked?

Sometimes I'm amazed what the ride ops dont notice, or maybe pretend not to because they don't want to deal with it. Thats pretty ballsy of the guy to try and "sneak" a chest harness onto the ride. Where in the world was he hiding it while getting into the train and being checked?

It was outside of all of his clothing. I saw the straps on his back and I saw GoPro's logo on it spelled out clear as day. I wish the ride OP's would of pretended it didn't happen but the controller of the ride told him to pocket it. The camera is really tiny for the image quality they provide and he was just holding it in his pocket or hand until he sat down. The things have less mass then my 3DS:XL and maybe a little bit more then my "dumb phone".

I couldn't tell how it was going to secure to the chest mount but I had faith that the guy knows what he's doing with it. It's not like he was decked out but he easily had a plan.

It depends on how much you plan to use your cup. It's all down to cost. If you're only going to get one or two drinks that day, the 99 cent refills would be better. If it's a really hot day and you plan to drink a lot, get the wristband. I've gotten the wristbands many times at various Six Flags parks, and I've always gotten my money's worth.

in 2015 when I finally have to pay for refills, im just going to get them when I get my season pass meals. Plus given how warm/hot it can get in the summer it's a better idea to drink water and i don't mind the taste of the water fountains.

I know I already posted it, but it was neglected and I really got to know now for complicated reasons.

maybe the bold will help lol

Im going to the park for the first time on black Friday. How are crowds?

Im going to take advantage on early entry. How much can I get done during early entry? Are all rides open?

I know I already posted it, but it was neglected and I really got to know now for complicated reasons.

maybe the bold will help lol

Im going to the park for the first time on black Friday. How are crowds?

Im going to take advantage on early entry. How much can I get done during early entry? Are all rides open?

Ive never been on black friday so I couldnt tell you how busy it will be. Early entry at SFDK doesnt get you much. None of the rides are open. The only advantage is you can get in the front of the line for Medusa 10 mins early for when it opens with the rest of the park. The Kong ride ops don't allow gold pass guests to get in line before the park opens.

For black friday, early entry is a whole hour! Are you telling me I will be in the park for an hour with no rides!?!?

No, lots of people who go have season passes and its 1 hour early for all pass holders 2014 and 2015.

from the latest news letter:

"Season Pass Holder Early Entry

Join us for our Season Pass Holder Appreciation Days and receive exclusive access to the park. Each operating day from November​ 28 through December​ 23, Pass Holders will have the entire park to themselves for an hour before the park opens to the general public. Flash your 2014 or 2015 Season Pass or Membership to enter the park one hour early. Youll be the first to enjoy your favorite rides and all our seasonal attractions."

So the rides are open... good. Has anyone been during this in the past?

They should be. Last time I went the day before vetrans day I walked straight to Superman and the non flash pass line was still blocked by a trash can. So I walked trough the flash pass lane, I was the first one in the line by about a min or so and when I got in there the ride ops practically yelled at me " We're not open yet, get out of the station." despite being after 11 am. they were waiting to get word from park management to start letting people on and whatnot.

Could of had the train to myself if they were paying attention.

Also I never been there on "Black Friday" but given how many people are out shopping that day and kids are off from school, I'd expect it to be busier then most friday's in the off season. Even the day before vertans day, there was still a somewhat decent amount of people about. Plus just because it's been dead on a certain day in the park in the last 1, 2, 5 years doesn't mean many other's wont be like "hey, lets head to the park today."