TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Hi everyone, I am Six Flags Discovery Kingdom season pass holder. I bet they will put Sky Screamer where Scat-A-Bout is currently at. I was looking at the Six Flags map. This make logical sense. That ride got so stale. As far replacing Cobra, I don't think they would do that. This ride is enjoyed by the young and old. I think the Sky Screamer would look nice at night. From looking at a you tube video of the one they have in Germany. If you are familiar to the area. Going down Interstate 80 west to SF. Sky Screamer should be visible lit up. That would be an awesome sight. But again it is only 150 feet high. I think the city of Vallejo has a height restriction. They should lift the height restriction. So that we could get some rides that would be higher than 150 feet. I am looking forward to see how this ride fares next year..

The Scat-A-Bout location would have been great because it would be on the top of the hill, if only there wasn't that dang height limit. But based on Angry_Gumball's idea I can't imagen them just taking out half of the midway there, becuase think of the bottle necking that will happen with big crowds. And It would be really stupid if they took out Cobra.

I wonder if they could possibly fit it in Medusa's track aera. There is a couple of aeras that look big enough. But I don't know how much ground space the ride would require.

^BTW welcome to the forums.

• 2 weeks later...
From the sounds of the description the ride will be somewhere near Boomerang/Tazmanian Devil. Wonder if they are taking something out, maybe the Sky Coaster?

Take that description losely, It won't be anywhere near Shouka and even farther from the Tigers. Skycoaster is staying but sadly another ride is on it's way out to make room and it's not one that, in my opinion, should be leaving.[/quote

From the video on SFDK's website, it looks like the ride will be built in a new area of the park very close to Medusa.

I think the Sky Screamer would look nice at night.

xSpeaking of lighting, the whole animal area of the park (top right of the park map) lacks a whole lot of lighting. I was more scared of walking down their super dimly lit paths then in their scare zones during my fright fest visit. I only have 4 rides I consider worth a damn there now. Roar, Mudusa, Bumper cars and VooDoo. Hopefully Sky Screamer will be a 5th. Also in terms of placement.. maybe they can ship Kong away and give SFDK a clone of The Green Lantern.

I only have 4 rides I consider worth a damn there now. Roar, Mudusa, Bumper cars and VooDoo. Hopefully Sky Screamer will be a 5th.

And V2, Tony Hawk, Hammerhead, and TazDevil are?

So many people underrate these rides.

I forgot about V2. Hammerhead is okay but I find the bumper cars are a shorter wait now. Tony Hawk isn't worth the wait I think unless its your first time and Tax devil I am just not too interested in.

of course me and my friends only ride on tony hawk was a insanely bad one. It was just me and him and he decides to sit on the same exact side as me and as soon as he sits down one of the ride ops pull down the lap bar. I was totally pissed at him during the whole ride. We were still spinning for a solid min after the ride was officially over and waiting to get pulled back into the station.

We took about a 5 min break before setting off to Roar or V2 due to our dizziness due to his irrational seat choice.

The real reasoning for the "big attractions" up front at the park is the neighbors across from Lake Chabot. They've already quite vigorously complained when the rides went in originally, hence the rides that were added were small, partially enclosed or sedate in nature.

Interesting move to take out Cobra, but one heck of a change to the skyline come 2011. The addition of Sky Scream will also break up a tri-fecta of coasters in that plaza and give it more variety in attractions, like the rest of the park.

For those of you who have never been on one of these before - while it may look sedate, that's your opinion ON THE GROUND. These are fun, exciting and well, JUST FUN! (Which is what a park should be...not just THRILL-THRILL-THRILL. Go to SFMM if you want that. If you want one of the most well-rounded parks out there, come out to SFDK this spring.

• 1 month later...
I understand the need for attractions families can enjoy together, but throw us thrill seekers a bone here..

Great America is becoming a history museum, and Discovery Kingdom is not quite there yet, but looking a little dated. At the Boardwalk, we haven't gotten a real spectacular thrill ride since Fireball (installed in 2003, I believe). I refuse to call Double Shot a thrill ride, it's more of a high-speed observation tower. Even look at our water park, Raging Waters: they get a new slide on average of about one every five years. It's got to be the most out-dated water park I've ever seen!

Prowler was going to be at CGA for 2009 but because of the neighbors and the football thing, it had to move to worlds of fun.

The real reasoning for the "big attractions" up front at the park is the neighbors across from Lake Chabot. They've already quite vigorously complained when the rides went in originally, hence the rides that were added were small, partially enclosed or sedate in nature.

Interesting move to take out Cobra, but one heck of a change to the skyline come 2011. The addition of Sky Scream will also break up a tri-fecta of coasters in that plaza and give it more variety in attractions, like the rest of the park.

Actually the reason the big rides are up front is because the park's height limit progressively gets lower as you get farther back. 150 up front, 125 by boomerang, 100 where sky coaster is, 75 near the shore, and I think it drops more right on the water. The neighbors are the reason the city strictly enforces the heights, but if the park could, they would build big next to the water regardless of the neighbors.

On a side note, I heard that cobra will just be moved, but no clue how accurate that is.

• 3 weeks later...

Great News!

To ring in the new year, I'm happy to report:

COBRA is staying!

I was at SFDK and asked about Sky Screamer to staff operating Cobra, Medusa and Kong, their response, Cobra is staying, and the location for Sky Screamer has not yet been decided....

It will either be either to the right, or the left of Cobra, but management hasn't locked down the location yet.

Also, the Sky Screamer promos are being plastered on TVs all over the park, with people always stopping to watch. I have a feeling Sky Screamer is going to have a pretty big raw.

In other news, it looked as if there might of been some recent activity up by the old motion simulators....why did they stop using them in the first place since they were an up-charge?

2012 Intamin Family Launcher anyone? But in all seriousness, the park is prepping for something large scale, ie. A coaster. The park hasn't added a major coaster since 2004 when the Infamous Zonga failtacularly entered the park's coaster lineup for a mere two years. (and was only open the number of days equivalent to 3-4 months) Thomas and Tony Hawk have been dropped, saving them money on the copy writes. Space is another factor. The only area they could possibly use without removing a current attraction is the old motion simulator building,and the surrounding area. (Google Earth)

2012 is going to be a big year for SFDK I have a feeling.

I understand the need for attractions families can enjoy together, but throw us thrill seekers a bone here..

Great America is becoming a history museum, and Discovery Kingdom is not quite there yet, but looking a little dated. At the Boardwalk, we haven't gotten a real spectacular thrill ride since Fireball (installed in 2003, I believe). I refuse to call Double Shot a thrill ride, it's more of a high-speed observation tower. Even look at our water park, Raging Waters: they get a new slide on average of about one every five years. It's got to be the most out-dated water park I've ever seen!

Prowler was going to be at CGA for 2009 but because of the neighbors and the football thing, it had to move to worlds of fun.

The wooden coaster CGA never got was a GCI but it was not prowler

Great News!

COBRA is staying!

I was at SFDK and asked about Sky Screamer to staff operating Cobra, Medusa and Kong, their response, Cobra is staying, and the location for Sky Screamer has not yet been decided....

It will either be either to the right, or the left of Cobra, but management hasn't locked down the location yet.

Also, the Sky Screamer promos are being plastered on TVs all over the park, with people always stopping to watch. I have a feeling Sky Screamer is going to have a pretty big raw.

In other news, it looked as if there might of been some recent activity up by the old motion simulators....why did they stop using them in the first place since they were an up-charge?

2012 Intamin Family Launcher anyone? But in all seriousness, the park is prepping for something large scale, ie. A coaster. The park hasn't added a major coaster since 2004 when the Infamous Zonga failtacularly entered the park's coaster lineup for a mere two years. (and was only open the number of days equivalent to 3-4 months) Thomas and Tony Hawk have been dropped, saving them money on the copy writes. Space is another factor. The only area they could possibly use without removing a current attraction is the old motion simulator building,and the surrounding area. (Google Earth)

Hmm... Possibly a Eurofighter?

Great News!

COBRA is staying!

The 3D theater was never an upcharge attraction, and they stopped using it because of maintenance and operating costs when Mark Shapiro went on his cost cutting rampage.

Also Zonga opened in 2003, not 2004 and operated much more than just 3-4 months. Believe me, I know, I operated it most of the 2 years it was at the park.

As for the coaster plans, we will see. SFDK has prepared for coasters before and never got them (the B&M flyer most of you never knew about that was canceled by Mark Shapiro in favor of the name change in 2007).

Sorry, I wrote that at midnight so those facts were off

Where was that flyer supposed to go anyway? I had always wondered where it was going to go, but never could figure it out.

Intamin is the company that comes to mind in this situation.

As we know, SFDK is a pretty family-oriented park, but lacks another BIG coaster besides Roar, that families above 48" but below 54" can go on together. Big Spin isn't very big, and has possibly the worst capacity in the park, so I don't count it.

I have a feeling a Chetah Hunt style family launched coaster is on it's way to SFDK, most likely using the space currently occupying the old theater and it's surrounding area, since it is the only space the park has left to build on that is a large enough space for a coaster.

Intamin has already helped Discovery Kingdom by giving them their badass V2 with a heart line roll, so I wouldn't put it past them to ask Intamin for another project.

Even though Sky Screamer would only be what, 150 feet tall?, it would still be a big hit with the seats swaying back and forth.

Based on people's reactions to the video promo, I have a feeling Sky Screamer is going to have a line nearly as long as Kong or Medusa. you won't miss it coming into the park, and will draw more people in with the impact of the Skyline which now has a Starflyer.

The park is due for either a coaster or a big new animal area. A mega-lite or Eurofighter would be a good fit due to the limited size and footprint, and the theater spot is prime for something useful. Let's just hope that after all the cost cutting, the company contiunes investing in their "mid level" parks.