TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Anyone know a good day to go to SFDK during July. I'm going for my 3rd time and I have no idea what lines are like at this time all the other times I went ROAR had a 1h line both times I went was just wondering whens not a "busy' day

Yesterday, I went to the park (a Friday), and it was relatively empty. I got there at about 3pm and headed straight for Roar, and the line was at most 5 minutes. Then waited 15 minutes for V2. Got on SkyScreamer which had about a 20 minute line all day, and closed a few times, probably due to the high winds. At the peak of the day, the line for Medusa was maybe 30 minutes, and 20 for Kong. Then went to Tazmanian Devil and waited about 10 minutes. At about 6 the line for boomerang was 15-20 minutes and got a ride on that. From 6:30-8, me and my friend went back and fourth from Roar to V2, and got about 7 rides on each of them. It was insane. Those lines were non-existent. And this was a Friday during summer. Also, it was about 70-75 degrees and both of the water rides had no lines all day.

I could have gotten lucky, but I also went on Wednesday this week and it was even less crowded. I would say the best day to go is a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. And count on Sky Screamer to have the longest wait of the day, as it is new.

Anyone know a good day to go to SFDK during July. I'm going for my 3rd time and I have no idea what lines are like at this time all the other times I went ROAR had a 1h line both times I went was just wondering whens not a "busy' day

Yesterday, I went to the park (a Friday), and it was relatively empty. I got there at about 3pm and headed straight for Roar, and the line was at most 5 minutes. Then waited 15 minutes for V2. Got on SkyScreamer which had about a 20 minute line all day, and closed a few times, probably due to the high winds. At the peak of the day, the line for Medusa was maybe 30 minutes, and 20 for Kong. Then went to Tazmanian Devil and waited about 10 minutes. At about 6 the line for boomerang was 15-20 minutes and got a ride on that. From 6:30-8, me and my friend went back and fourth from Roar to V2, and got about 7 rides on each of them. It was insane. Those lines were non-existent. And this was a Friday during summer. Also, it was about 70-75 degrees and both of the water rides had no lines all day.

I could have gotten lucky, but I also went on Wednesday this week and it was even less crowded. I would say the best day to go is a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. And count on Sky Screamer to have the longest wait of the day, as it is new.

Wow last year I remember having to wait at least 25+ mins for rides on Roar. V2 and medusa's lines always moves fast though. I can't remember mudeusa ever having a 1 train operation day when I've been there.

Don't worry about the crowds. I've been to the park twice and even on the crowded day I went, I got on all the coasters, with two re-rides on Medusa and V2. A LOT of the people check out the shows, which I recommend if you can. Which shortens the lines. SFDK might not be the best place for rides, but there is a TON of things to do.

It is difficult to find a crowded day at SFDK. However, if you do manage to come on one, look out. On my first visit in 2008, the lines themselves were not too long, but every coaster (expect Big Spin) was running one train, making the waits for Medusa and Kong over an hour. (Medusa did get a second train later, though)

My second visit was on Fright Fest. When I first arrived, it was like I had the whole park to myself. However, as night drew near, people started pouring into the park. Roar and Kong both ran one train all day, even with 90 minute waits.

On my next visit, the park was empty. All rides that could run two trains were running two trains, though. (They still stacked them horribly)

Finally, the last visit I had was the worst yet. I spent 5.5 hours in the park, only to go on five rides. The place was packed. The queues for several rides were full, like on Medusa (120 minute wait) V2 (90 minute wait) Kong (90 minute wait) Surprisingly, Roar only had a 20 minute wait, while Sky Screamer had a 45 minute wait. (Probably because this ride is pretty boring). All crews were masters at stacking, and the Medusa crew was one of the few crews I have ever seen that could stack three trains on every single cycle. This place is somewhat like Fuji Q, where you can really have a good day when you come when crowds are light, but don't even think about going when it is crowded.

You my have already gone, but just for the future, I recommend any day thats not Friday of saturday, and that you should probably get the the park early so you can get on the rides that have long lines later in the day (Medusa, Roar, Sky Screamer, Big Spin, etc.). But lines mostly never really get so bad that you'll need a flash pass.

I will be going to the park this coming Monday does anyone know how the waits are usually on a Monday. This will be my second time going to the park and I plan on spending all day their unlike the last time I was their, ended up missing a lot of things that I look forward to seeing this time around.

^The waits usually aren't to bad on any weekday but Friday. At the Busiest times (around noon) the lines and rang from about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on what the operations are. Make sure you come early so you can get on the busier rides(Medusa, Sky Screamer, Roar, Big Spin, etc.) with almost no wait.

Sky Screamer is closed? Did I miss some news?

Apparently both attractions at Six Flags St. Louis and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom are closed as precaution following a malfunction at Six Clags St. Louis. Check it out here: http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20110725/4519/skyscreamer-rides-closed-six-flags-st-louis-and-discovery-kingdom-due-technical-f

This blows. I was thinking about going to the park tomorrow.

Both days as well. I was looking forward to SKy Screamer but I actually don't think I'll be able to stay for the night time Medusa ERT (which I really wanted to do). Unfortunately, my car's not up and running yet, needs smog so I'm getting a ride so I have to work around that. Atleast I still get to snag my 35th credit, Big Spin. If Sky Screamer's not up and running I'm not going to let that get me down as there's still plenty of other rides and the $32 including food is one major discount to get into SFDK...plus the morning ERT.

Went to the park today. Here's a short update.

WAITS:

Medusa: got to about 30 minutes at the peak of the day, but became a walk on before closing.

Kong: did not ride as it's too rough for my taste, but only 2 rows of switchbacks were full all day. Was a walk on later too.

Roar: about 15 minutes at the peak of the day, and was often only in the station.

V2: barely going into the switchbacks. At the peak of the day, probably about 15 minutes.

Tony Hawk: about 30-45 minutes constantly all day.

Some important notes:

*Boomerang remains closed for an unknown reason.

*Sky Screamer remains closed as well, however there were two guys in the operating booth costantly all day, and they didn't look like they worked for the park. Guests also reported seeing it test once.

*Hammerhead was closed as well, however many mechanics were on scene working on it later in the day.

*Something is going on at the 3D theatre. There were boxes all along the entry path and employes wandering around back there that I could see in Tazmanian's line. Don't know any details though.

I will only be attending the SFDK day, but hey! I still get to got to my first TPR event!

Oh and couple things about the post above..

I wouldn't be surprised if Boomerang or Hammerhead leave the park, it seems like there always down(that mostly goes for hammerhead).

Those people you saw were probably funtime people checking out the ride like they did at SFStL.

I see stuff going on at the 3D there a lot to, but it seems like there using it for storage right now.

And wow, 15 minute waits for Roar? Its usually 30-50 minutes at the peak when I go during the summer, when did you go?

I will only be attending the SFDK day, but hey! I still get to got to my first TPR event!

Oh and couple things about the post above..

I wouldn't be surprised if Boomerang or Hammerhead leave the park, it seems like there always down(that mostly goes for hammerhead).

Those people you saw were probably funtime people checking out the ride like they did at SFStL.

I see stuff going on at the 3D there a lot to, but it seems like there using it for storage right now.

And wow, 15 minute waits for Roar? Its usually 30-50 minutes at the peak when I go during the summer, when did you go?

I went on Tuesday, and perhaps the past times you visited Roar, it may have been only running one train. That ride seems to always be running 1 train, and last fright fest was a nightmare. The line was spilling out of the metal bars all the way past the whale ride towards the cars. We waited at least 1 hour, probably 1.5, but right around Sky Screamers opening is when they added the 2nd train. Since then, the waits have been very minimal. The crew was doing extremely well, dispatching the train in the station right when the other train reached the end brakes.

Also, the park is advertising an "all new" fright fest event this year, and the promo video shown on the big screen by Pandemonium says it's supposed to be "scarier then ever". Anyone else know more?

^The 30- 50 minute peak is usually with both trains, and for fright fest, that's all Ive heard too, I would really like to see a couple more mazes this year. I really don't think 3 is enough a fright fest that will be "scarier than ever".

EDIT: Oh and, I have a quick question! I remember reading some pages back about a B&M flying coaster planned for SFDK, does anyone have any info on that?

^^^^I have been to the park four times, and Hammerhead Shark has only been open for the day once. I will be surprised if it is actually open on Bay Area Weekend. This is simply rediculous and is probably as bad if not worse than a GIB. It even seems to break down just as often, if not, more so.

Anyway, my plan of attack will be to enjoy Roar and Pandemonium while I have the time, and get in a quick ride (or two) on V2 when the park opens. At night, I might ride SS once, and mainly focus on Medusa. (Starflyers bore me to death; I guess the view will be better at night.

I have a similar plan of attack...maybe spend about 15 minutes on Roar, 15 on Pandemonium (will be a new credit for me)...then head to V2 and over to the Medusa Plaza. Being as its a Saturday, I'm pretty sure the park will be busy though I'm hoping it's not going to be ridiculous with long waits and single train operations. To end the day (I'm hoping to be able to stay for night time ERT, we're getting a ride out there), I will probably spend most of the time on Medusa as well if not all of it due to Sky Screamer's closure at the moment.

Im probably going to do the same thing, gets some rides on Roar and Pandemonium during morning ERT, then head over to V2 for couple of rides on that. Spend some time in the park (and maybe the SC fair), then ride Medusa and Sky Screamer (if its open) a bunch of time during night ERT. I really hope they'll open something else up for night ERT if Sky Screamer is still closed!

^The 30- 50 minute peak is usually with both trains, and for fright fest, that's all Ive heard too, I would really like to see a couple more mazes this year. I really don't think 3 is enough a fright fest that will be "scarier than ever".

EDIT: Oh and, I have a quick question! I remember reading some pages back about a B&M flying coaster planned for SFDK, does anyone have any info on that?

In 2007, when the park was still know as Marine World, a flyer was originally proposed for either the site if the motion theater, or the site that now occupies Pandamonium/Big Spin. It is unknown whether or no they went any further than considering however, as the project was dropped (or maybe put on hold???? We can hope!) in favor of a name change for the park.

While a name change sounds like a small thing, I guess you could say it was more of a "rebranding" of the park from focusing just on marine animals, to encompassing all the park had to offer.

I have a similar plan of attack...maybe spend about 15 minutes on Roar, 15 on Pandemonium (will be a new credit for me)...then head to V2 and over to the Medusa Plaza. Being as its a Saturday, I'm pretty sure the park will be busy though I'm hoping it's not going to be ridiculous with long waits and single train operations. To end the day (I'm hoping to be able to stay for night time ERT, we're getting a ride out there), I will probably spend most of the time on Medusa as well if not all of it due to Sky Screamer's closure at the moment.

If you get Pandamonium balanced just right, you can have an amazing ride (usually three people with the two heavier people on one side) or you can get a really lackluster and boring ride, it just depends.

Roar is still my favorite GCI, but only in the front, as the other seats have gone to crap.

Is anyone interested in hanging out during the day? I looking for some people to hang with, as my cousin has bailed on me and can't come.

Agreed, from what I can remember riding Roar. I always loved the back seat mainly because of the first drop, and the hill after the first turnaround as it provided some nice floater air in the rear. *Calls dibs on back seat for ERT *

I kind of figured having an 'offset' Pandemonium car would increase the amount of spinning...so any smaller people want to join my cousin and I? Not that I'm excessively overweight or anything...

So I'm completely unfamiliar with the Six Flags Fluffy Bunnies (AKA Lock-ers) policy. If you happen to bring a hat (to keep the sun out of your face) do those have to be stored in those dreaded compartments as well? I know their policy pretty much sums up any 'loose article' such as beverage containers, backpacks, etc...from what I read on their site. On the other hand, and I'm sure we've all complained about this but I think it's unfair to say 'no beverage containers' yet provide overpriced soda...cheap way to make money. And if you're in a longer line that's not quite shaded (such as Medusa's queue before entering the lower level station building) I guess you're supposed to deal with the sun in your face? Maybe I'm overreacting as I'm a bit spoiled by CGA's providing of storage cubbies complete with sliding or trap doors to cover everything that still keep the loading platforms safe and clear of any possible tripping hazards.