TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster mixed with an air race

Picture a roller coaster. Now picture the 360 spins of an air race. Now picture that upside down spinning on a coaster. That would be one hell of a ride. Right now we have coasters like Joker that flip cars in a forwards and backwards flip. We have spinning coasters. Now an air race coaster could be the newest fad

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^

Um yeah, issue with that is that there is no way of getting supports on the coaster, so the track would have to float. If you look at the image, it does not show how the supports are there. Think about is and you will understand how there is NO way of getting the supports on the ride thus it will never happen.

^^^

Um yeah, issue with that is that there is no way of getting supports on the coaster, so the track would have to float. If you look at the image, it does not show how the supports are there. Think about is and you will understand how there is NO way of getting the supports on the ride thus it will never happen.

No. That isn't a problem. Do you really think S&S would accidentally look past that minor detail? Those trains are like a wing coasters where the seats rotate like a Skyroller. Instead of flipping vertically (Like X2), it just flips horizontally. So, it's not exactly like an Air Race, but it could provide a similar motion.

Also, they could totally put an Air Race on a coaster and still support it. You just need to figure out where the car would be swung at any point of the track, and just put the support where the car wouldn't be. You don't need full 360 degree clearance just because the car has the ability to rotate 360 degrees, you just need clearance where the car would be at the moment the car passes the support. For example, if the car would be swung to the far left of the track, put the support on the right side of the track, or below the track, or on top. As long as the support isn't on the left, it's fine.

^^^

OH. MY. GOD!!!

HOLY CRAP! YOU ARE RIGHT!!!

I mean, these professional engineers now have the solution to the problem with this coaster! Until you came along, they hadn't sold one because they had no idea how to build it! You should send a personal letter to S&S and let them know you are the one who fixed the issue with this coaster! They will be very grateful and thank you!

Well done, sir!

--Robb "Seriously, have you EVER made a good post on our forum!??!?!" Alvey

RollerManic, thanks for the photo. I knew I wasn't dreaming it. There is no mention of the ride on their website so I wonder if it's something that they are still working on or if they have dropped the concept altogether. It looks to have much better capacity than the regular Free Fly, which is what I believe is the reason why they came up with this version.

I see no reason why a spatial disorientation simulator couldn't be put on either side of a wing track.

Well maybe one reason is the inevitable uber-extreme nausea nating of RCT3 fame.

More interesting to me is the idea of using that three-ring setup but controlling the yaw, pitch, and roll the way that X2 controls pitch. Ignoring the potential problems of having a 4G force in the lateral direction, if the individual cars roll instead of the whole track, the track wouldn't ever have to bank, and then a 1- or 2-person car on either side of the track could rotate about the heartline.

They should be able to use X2 system with a third rail to control a rack and pinion to rotate the cars in a 360 degree spin. Then they should be able to control where every spin puts you, allowing for more supports in area of need

They should be able to use X2 system with a third rail to control a rack and pinion to rotate the cars in a 360 degree spin. Then they should be able to control where every spin puts you, allowing for more supports in area of need

That makes the layout slightly restrictive though, as it does with the system that 4d coasters use, since the gondola can only spin some 270 degrees.

^^^