TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Pilgrimage To The Point

I always love reading trip reports from Cedar Point virgins because it brings back good memories of my first visit about a dozen years ago. I live 8 hours away (Iowa) so I don't visit more than once or twice a year. I was absolutely blown away with the renovations to Breakers on my trip a couple weeks ago. It's hard to not want to be at the hotel and in the park at the same time. Hope you get many more visits to Cedar Point!

I hope to make my first trip in the next year or two, but it will be at least three days...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words about the report everyone, it sort of wrote itself lol.

Almost a month out and I'm missing CP hardcore. It might be that I haven't ridden any coasters in a few weeks or that I just re-read some of this report or maybe its just that I'm sitting in work bored out of my skull right now but I would kill to go on Maverick/Millennium/Magnum/Gatekeeper/Blue Streak/Gemini/Raptor RIGHT NOW.

we-have-to-go-back.jpg

Thanks for the kind words about the report everyone, it sort of wrote itself lol.

Almost a month out and I'm missing CP hardcore. It might be that I haven't ridden any coasters in a few weeks or that I just re-read some of this report or maybe its just that I'm sitting in work bored out of my skull right now but I would kill to go on Maverick/Millennium/Magnum/Gatekeeper/Blue Streak/Gemini/Raptor RIGHT NOW.

we-have-to-go-back.jpg

Haha, +1 Lost reference. WE NEVER SHOULDA LEFT!!!!!

t's been two years since I've been there, and I'm itching, too. A couple of my colleagues are moving out to our office in Columbus, OH, and we got to talking about Kings Island and Cedar Point. There might be an opportunity for me to do some consulting work out in Ohio down the road, and if I do, I'll definitely be back here several times (I'd be out there for about a year).

we-have-to-go-back.jpg

My feelings exactly. I made my first visit to Cedar Point last week and I'm already dying to go back .

• 11 months later...

I'm late to this trend, but excellent trip report. I'm planning a Cedar Point road trip with my college roommate, who's also a coaster fanatic. We went to Kings Dominion over the weekend and I came up with the idea of doing a Cedar Point road trip. He agreed with the idea, only if he can get off work and finances permit, since FL+ is in our budget. It's about a seven hour road trip from Washington DC. We are also looking at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Pro Football Hall of Fame, and Flight 93 memorial as road stops. Our plan is to go on a weekend in either July or August, leaving Friday and coming back Sunday.

I'm also from the Philadelphia area (Methacton High School) and grew up going to Dorney Park and Hershey Park. I've been to Great Adventure several times, but Kingda Ka always breaks down when I'm there. My favorite coasters as a kid were Storm Runner and Talon. I rode Hydra the day it opened in 2005. I don't go out to theme parks that much anymore because of finances. Once I start working, I'll probably start making pilgrimages to Hershey Park and Great Adventure again.

We are also considering going next season instead and save up more money to stay on site, probably Memorial Day Weekend, and spend two days there instead of one. Most people recommend staying multiple days at Cedar Point. Our initial plan was to splurge FL+ for one day. Based on reading the forums, it seems like two days is as must. Maybe we'll check out Soak City on our second day. I wish Cedar Point and Soak City would merge into one park.

One question. We are trying to get a gauge in finances. What were the cost estimates for the vacation to stay onsite for two days. The weekend trip concept is going to cost $300 each, including FL+.

Whoa! Old thread bumpage.

OK so to answer your question. Keep in mind it was Memorial Day Weekend so rates for our room were likely higher. We paid something around $1200 for three nights at Breakers - in a two room suite w/ balcony overlooking Lake Erie, for four people, so split between the 4 of of us was about $100 each per day/night (and this included two days park and waterpark admission, and also Friday night admission that we missed since we arrived so late - not really bad when you think about it). Staying at Breakers was so clutch since it was a 5 minute walk back to our room from the WIndseeker/Magnum entrances. We were able to stop back and take breaks (read: eat our own food and drink our own beers instead of park food) and it was so nice to not have to drive to and from the park. We parked Friday night and didn't get back in the car til Monday morning. It felt like we stayed in CP all weekend long because we basically did. After the park closed we hung out on the beach, at TGIFridays, etc.

We did also get FL+ since this was a big deal trip for all of us and we wanted to be able to ride what we wanted when we wanted and we did get it both Saturday and Sunday. Again, there were four of us and it was something like $100 per person per day for that so that was another $800. Yes, pricey! But worth every penny. Never felt rushed, never waited long, rode everything we wanted to. We were basically able to slowly enjoy our weekend in a packed park with beautiful weather on a holiday weekend at our own pace.

On top of this add in park admission & lunch @ Kennywood and that was another $150 for the group (we got the cheap tickets at the grocery store around the corner from the park and just had those awful Potato Patch fries for lunch) and then gas money (eight hour drive each way for us) and the food and beer we brought with (another $150ish). Add in any extra spending money on dumb little things like souvenirs, etc.

So doing the math it was not a cheap trip. But it was one of the best vacations I've ever had in my life. If/when I go back to CP I would do it exactly the same way.

Whoa! Old thread bumpage.

OK so to answer your question. Keep in mind it was Memorial Day Weekend so rates for our room were likely higher. We paid something around $1200 for three nights at Breakers - in a two room suite w/ balcony overlooking Lake Erie, for four people, so split between the 4 of of us was about $100 each per day/night (and this included two days park and waterpark admission - not really bad when you think about it). Staying at Breakers was so clutch since it was a 5 minute walk back to our room from the WIndseeker/Magnum entrances. We were able to stop back and take breaks (read: eat our own food and drink our own beers instead of park food) and it was so nice to not have to drive to and from the park. We parked Friday night and didn't get back in the car til Monday morning. It felt like we stayed in CP all weekend long because we basically did.

We did also get FL+ since this was a big deal trip for all of us and we wanted to be able to ride what we wanted when we wanted and we did get it both Saturday and Sunday. Again, there were four of us and it was something like $100 per person per day for that so that was another $800. Yes, pricey! But worth every penny. Never felt rushed, never waited long, rode everything we wanted to. We were basically able to slowly enjoy our weekend in a packed park with beautiful weather on a holiday weekend at our own pace.

On top of this add in park admission & lunch @ Kennywood and that was another $150 for the group (we got the cheap tickets at the grocery store around the corner from the park and just had those awful Potato Patch fries for lunch) and then gas money (eight hour drive each way for us) and the food and beer we brought with (another $150ish).

So it was not a cheap trip. But it was one of the best vacations I've ever had in my life. If/when I go back to CP I would do it exactly the same way.

That's almost $600 per person. I can tell Cedar Point is not a cheap trip. It costs almost $200 in tickets and FL+ per person. That's only for one day. Because of this we decided to look offsite. If we splurge on the FL+ for one day, we are going to be exhausted for the ride home. Cedar Point is one of those bucket list adventures. We might consider Kennywood as a road stop.

^ I would absolutely recommend a stop @ Kennywood. I thought it was a fantastic park and a year out I really wish we spent more time there. While the coasters were good to great, we hardly did any flats and didn't even go into certain areas of the park. The park itself has more of a folksy feel to it than a SF or CF park and overall I thought it was well maintained, clean, no issues with any of the other guests, and the employees were great for the most part. I'd go back to KW in a heartbeat. Phantom's Revenge itself is worth a visit.

That's almost $600 per person. I can tell Cedar Point is not a cheap trip.

Keep in mind it was a major holiday weekend and we stayed on site in a suite - there were cheaper rooms but we went all out. There are tons of other places to stay near the park but I can't comment on them because we only ever looked into staying at one of the on site spots, and ultimately decided to go baller and stay at Breakers.

If you're on a budget I'd suggest staying off-site if you have a Platinum Pass or staying one night at Breakers Express to get the early entry but the next night staying somewhere else because the only reason you would need to stay at their hotel is for early entry anyway. You don't have the convenience that Boldikus mentioned but you're on a budget so you'll need to compromise a little.

You NEED early entry though (for Maverick and Millennium, don't blow it on Valravn. Those rides have waits even with Fastlane, Valravn doesn't). And since you mention going to Dorney and Kings Dominion a Platinum Pass might be a good investment anyway.

I'm late to this party (office blocked TPR for a while as a Newsgroup,) but wanted to say that this was a FANTASTIC trip report. Good for you guys for getting that trip put together and for having such a great time.

David

P.S. - some of those pictures are the first time I've seen you without sunglasses

We did our trip to the Point last year (with stops at Kennywood, Waldemere and Conneaut). Stayed in a Queen room (mini suite) and It was worth every penny. One way to make the cost a bit easier to swallow is to pay online in installments. You can book your trip and make 4 monthly payments. We did, and it made it a lot easier to handle the costs, and left us with a lot more spending cash during the trip.

P.S. - some of those pictures are the first time I've seen you without sunglasses

Lucky you, its like seeing Bigfoot.

One way to make the cost a bit easier to swallow is to pay online in installments. You can book your trip and make 4 monthly payments. We did, and it made it a lot easier to handle the costs, and left us with a lot more spending cash during the trip.

We paid for half the room when we booked it and the other half in cash at the desk. We all just saved a little bit here and there for 4-5 months and we all came back with money even though it might seem like we spent a lot. We oversaved, if thats a thing, but that was better than running out of $$$.

^ I'd like to hear some other fans of Phantom answer that question but for me my description from last year still sums it up from what I can remember.

At this point Phantom's Revenge was just across the midway, and this is a big deal coaster to me. I've watched the POV a hundred times, and something about that giant 2nd drop into the ravine intimidates yet calls to me. This was the longest wait of the day, probably about 20 minutes. The missus sat this one out as she doesn't like giant steel coasters without OTSRs (don't even get me started). Once in the station we bee-lined for the back seats - Tom and Al sat in the rear with me just in front of them. All I can say about this is WOW. Not only did the first drop surprise me - I expected it to be this slow, sweeping drop but instead it absolutely ripped us down that curve - then the 2nd drop into the ravine is just breathtaking. You are totally hauling A$$ down that thing, and it feels like it goes on forever. But it ain't over yet! Now for a side of airtime. Sweet, glorious, violent, ejector airtime! I can't imagine this being a better coaster with its inversions before its conversion, the finale is incredible. I don't want to spoil the rest of my report so I'll just say this is easily one of the best rides I took all weekend.

Though the second ride later in the day toward the front of the train the airtime during the bunnyhops was even better. If I ever make it back I'd definitely wait for the front.

I'll add that Boldikus convinced me to make a pit stop at Kennywood for our Cedar Point/Kings Island trip next month and I'm pumped for Phantom's Revenge and the park itself. Lots of interesting, unique things to do that you don't see at corporate/"big box" parks.

And yeah this TR is really awesome--gone through it three times now and it makes an hour go by very quickly.

If you're on a budget I'd suggest staying off-site if you have a Platinum Pass or staying one night at Breakers Express to get the early entry but the next night staying somewhere else because the only reason you would need to stay at their hotel is for early entry anyway. You don't have the convenience that Boldikus mentioned but you're on a budget so you'll need to compromise a little.

You NEED early entry though (for Maverick and Millennium, don't blow it on Valravn. Those rides have waits even with Fastlane, Valravn doesn't). And since you mention going to Dorney and Kings Dominion a Platinum Pass might be a good investment anyway.

I might take advantage of the early entry for Maverick. B&M coasters are high capacity and have quick lines. Makes sense. I'll take it into consideration.

Phantom's Revenge itself is worth a visit.

What makes Phamtom's Revenge so good? Seeing the image of the second drop is legend among coaster enthusiasts.

The drops, the "big drop" being hidden and the extreme airtime are a huge part of its appeal, but to me, it also has kind of an "old school" vibe, and it doesn't look like it is going to be as epic as it really is. I went in knowing its reputation and having heard people talk about it for YEARS, but I was thinking to myself that it was over-hyped. In my opinion, it was most certainly not.

Take this with a grain of salt and be prepared for some of the TPR or Enthusiast "hipsters" to come in and say it's over-rated and that they don't like it so that they can feel superior and stuff.... they are wrong

^

Let us take a minute to appreciate some of Robb's footage of PR and just listen to the riders reactions to those airtime hills at the end. I love this ride.

Phantom's Revenge is epic in the front row. I rode it in the rain which was absolutely out. of. this. world!!! I've never in my life experienced a ride as wild as it was that day! It's tall enough to be imposing when you walk up to it and it has tremendous speed and really flies around the track. The restraints give you ample room to be flipped around like a freaking rag doll on steroids going over the bunny hops. But not in such a painful and violent way that you feel you may die and don't want to re-ride, a la Skyrush (IMO).

Boldikis - just reread your TR and am getting really pumped for my trip to CP in 2.5 weeks! Do you have any plans to get to KD or BGW this year?

^ We did, and they kind of fell apart (kids, jobs etc). So I spent that weekend in Wildwood. Still hoping to do at the very least Kings sometime this season someway, somehow. I'd really, really like to ride I305. And Volcano & Dominator & Delirium & a few other things. It looks like a great park.

^ We did, and they kind of fell apart (kids, jobs etc). So I spent that weekend in Wildwood. Still hoping to do at the very least Kings sometime this season someway, somehow. I'd really, really like to ride I305. And Volcano & Dominator & Delirium & a few other things. It looks like a great park.

Kings Dominion is a great park. It's the best amusement park in the DC-MD-VA area. Great operations and the lines move quick. Six Flags America sucks when its crowded.

I-305 is one helluva coaster. Robb said its height of Millennium Force, but has the intensity of Maverick. I went to Kings Dominion last week and my eyes still haven't recovered. Volcano is okay. Lots of zero-g twists. Dominator is one of the best floorless coasters I've ridden. Better than Bizarro and Hydra. Anaconda is a good Arrow. Dominion also has some good wooden coasters. The airtime on Grizzly is amazing. If you visit, I suggest riding Volcano and I-305 when the park opens. The crowd usually flocks to Dominator in the morning.

Volcano is "just ok" ?? Disagree, Volcano is AWESOME! It's actually my favorite ride in the park because launches are the best, it's very smooth and super rerideable. I-305 is absolutely like MF and Maverick had a baby on steroids and for that alone it blows your mind... but after a few rides your head falls off, rolls down the exit ramp and suddenly you're done for the day. At least for my group, anyway. We hit it up 1-2x each visit and then go ride other stuff like Rebel Yell, Woodstock Express and the somewhat hard to find Boo Blasters.

Boldikus make sure you get on Drop Zone as it's an excellent drop tower and gives Zumanjaro a run for its money! Going up the Eiffel Tower to watch all the rides cycle from up high is also fun and the park is quite beautiful, especially compared to SFGAdv. They have absolutely an delicious frozen lemonade slurpee-type thing at a cart which I highly recommend. I'll be there in 2 weeks and again in August - hit me up and if we're there at the same time we can get in a few laps.