TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Scandi Trip 2014 Mini Updates!

Well there's a reason for the stapling. haha It's literally because El Toro is in America. The ride was designed by Europeans for use by slim Europeans. We staple everyone by habit now just so we can get trains out of the station. When everyone fits, we can run nice 1:40 intervals but when people do not, those intervals double or even triple depending on how many people do not fit. I've been meaning to try Balder but El Toro looks like the most well rounded coaster out of the prefabs to me. It's got airtime, high speed turns, crazy laterals in the ending, and a gnarly first drop. I can't really say one is better than the other since I haven't ridden both but it just leaves me wondering why more prefabs haven't been built if they're such amazing rides.

The reason that I've always heard why more prefabs haven't been built is because they are pretty expensive for a wooden coaster. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I heard el toro cost 12 million to build when the average wood coaster costs between 4 and 6 million. However, the extra money will probably save tons of cash and man hours in labor down the road with the much lower upkeep. It is a real shame that there are only four in the entire world.

I've actually heard El Toro cost $28 million according to several of the maintenance guys at Toro but I'm not sure which one is true. $12 million sounds a little bit more reasonable though.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had such an amazing day at Grona Lund that we decided to post a full, proper trip report! You can find it here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=315&linkid=13929

Our day was simply one of the best visits to a park we've ever had! Getting to climb the 400-foot Eclipse Tower. Loads of ERT on every major coaster in the park and more! Lots of food, lots of beer, and two of the best park owners you'll find in the amusement industry!

Here's a couple of teaser photos, and then click the link, read the report and come back here to POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

gronalund_2014_048x900.jpg.805ae68a4b4d52966e7065fd603a85ae.jpg

Read the full report: http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=315&linkid=13929

Then POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Looking at these pictures make me insanely jealous!

I remember reading your first trip report to Tokyo DisneySea and reading your praise and awe at the park which drove me to make it my top destination spot when I could travel. Years later, I'm sitting on my phone replying on TPR at Tokyo DisneySea resort. A dream come true.

Grona Lund has always looked so beautiful, but with this TR, it might be my next destination especially with the Kolmarden addition underway! Hopefully, this will play out for me just like DisneySea.

Edited by FilmoreISnAZN

Does Europe have some sort of magic touch that North America doesn't?

Yes. Every time I go to Europe or Asia it makes me hate the American parks more and more. (especially those from one company that I won't name but I'm sure you can figure it out...)

Does Europe have some sort of magic touch that North America doesn't?

Yes. Every time I go to Europe or Asia it makes me hate the American parks more and more. (especially those from one company that I won't name but I'm sure you can figure it out...)

Something that kinda rhymes with Mixed Rags

On another note, why does SFMM neuter Green Lantern (I think the cars are weighed for balance) and then does balanced loading? One ride op told me last year that it was because if a car comes into the station upside down, it must be righted by maintenance crews.

Edited by GigaG

Europe looks like such an awesome place. My buddy is in the Army and he told me that if he got stationed in Germany he'd buy me a plane ticket over there and we'd travel the country visiting some of the amusement parks there. He ended up going to Korea, which honestly I don't have a real desire to visit. But I REALLY want to go to Europe at some point, especially Germany or Scandinavia.

What an AWESOME photo report! It makes me happy that the park I have visited most of all the parks I visited makes you this happy!

How about a Gröna Lund bash in 2016 when you are here for Wildfire?! I know we could collect a lot of people!

About the cruise,

1. Corona is actually one of the most popular beers over here, and it's generally quite expensive...

2. The ship you sailed with is actually, along with her sister ship, the first ship in the world to incorporate the promenade walkway in the middle of the ships. It's also the only two ships in the world who have the promenade walkway open all the way up and covered with a glass roof (I'm not sure if you noticed that). It's really fire dangerous, and they are operating on exemption and can never be sold or moved. None of the big cruisers in RCCL can have that (except of course the Oasis ship, but they are fully open).

The ship is also, again along with her sister, two of the oldest ships operating between Sweden and Finland and Estonia. They are still by far the best and most unique. They were all built during the happy 80s when this area was like a middle Caribbean for us Scandinavian people. The came the 90s recession and all the ships suddenly got much more realistic (read boring).

That looks like such an amazing amount of fun!! The stories EB tells me and seeing all the pictures on the twitter feed and in the TRs makes me want to go there so bad! We'll for sure be trying to get on the 2016 trip and I honestly can't wait

Let me quote myself, as I last posted this on the last page and nobody saw-

"On another note, why does SFMM neuter Green Lantern (I think the cars are weighed for balance) and then does balanced loading? One ride op told me last year that it was because if a car comes into the station upside down, it must be righted by maintenance crews."

One ride op told me last year that it was because if a car comes into the station upside down, it must be righted by maintenance crews.

Have seen that at Gröna Lund and Linnanmaki as well as experienced an upside down return at Gröna Lund. You need no maintenance crew to fix this - just two ride attendants who grab and turn the car manually...

One ride op told me last year that it was because if a car comes into the station upside down, it must be righted by maintenance crews.

Have seen that at Gröna Lund and Linnanmaki as well as experienced an upside down return at Gröna Lund. You need no maintenance crew to fix this - just two ride attendants who grab and turn the car manually...

There should be a handle on the outer end to assist in rotating the car so there isn't a risk of being kicked by a rider. I really wish GL was as good as people say Insane is. There's no reason it can't be.

This park looks so fun that I am starting to think that I should get off my rear end and actually get over there. Nice TR. One question though, why does everyone who rides with KT feels they have to be her seat belt with their arm? Is she too small to ride? I doubt it since they let her on but cannot figure it out. There are other pictures in other TR's on this trip also. Two examples below.

KT2.jpg.cf45a3446d9600235174bf36188298ed.jpg

Picture 2.

KT1.jpg.7530ef270941ebd84eeb53afa21f3bfd.jpg

Picture 1.

This is Six Flags we are taking about. They don't do things that make common sense.

This is Six Flags we are taking about. They don't do things that make common sense.

Well, they logically choose good, fun, intense rides. Intamin, RMC, etc. Then they turn around and never run all trains. (or worse yet, not even two trains), trim and neuter the ride (Green Lantern, Revolution), and fail to maintain the ride (Apocalypse.)