TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amazing Race Discussion

SharkTums

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember how I said that I would give this season three episodes before I made my decision? Well, here is my verdict:

This current season, while interesting, is not the TAR I have come to know and love. However, it is interesting, as long as you're not expecting it to be like TAR--consider it a new reality show with many of the same elements of TAR. TAR-light, as it were.

If TAR is DSL, then this season is dial-up. It will still get you online, but the experience is not nearly as enjoyable. This show is satisfying my TAR craving, though not as much as the regular two-man version does.

Now, with that said, I had considered giving this season one more week. However, I knew that by that point, I would have too much time invested in the show to give it up. Therefore, it is my decision to go ahead and stick with this season. It was a close call, but I will keep watching all the way to the end. With the understanding, of course, that I reserve the right to skip the November 8 episode. Missing an ep of the regular version is a serious offense, but some leeway is granted this time around due to other events in my life.

It is so ordered.

Shari, I think I forgot to tell you...That picture is AWESOME!!!!

Now, tonights episode...ugh...they actually got on a plane!!! for an hour long flight.

I am totally addicted now, but I find myself yelling at the tv and throwing my fists in the air out of frustration!

I do see some of the points to the article. This season will get a lot of new viewers and hopefully not alienate too many of us who've been with the show since Season 1. And I do believe there are a lot of cool things you can do in America, but I haven't seen them do any yet! I mean, perfect example, the girl who says "i've been here when I went to space camp!"

I'm in it for the long run, but I still reserve the right to complain!

Well, it is worth watching for lines like "I think a hanger is an airplane" or "who wants to do 3 GIs?".

But yeah, it's nothing like the past seasons. And all of these families are annoying! Plus, I thought it was lame last night that once they got to the bus part, there was no way for anyone on the second bus to pass anyone on the first. How much of a race is that? Making people wait in line for the challenge was boring. And having everything so close together is not much of a challenge. What's next, "you need to go upstairs to find your next clue"? Of course, given some of the mental capabilities of these people, finding stairs may be more difficult than thought...

dt

This season reminds me of the Line Simulator in that episode of South Park, a whole lot of wait, not enough payoff in the end. Phil was in Dallas last week and promised that they "would be headed out of the US" in the next couple of eps,which could mean a quick trip to tijuana or alberta(who knows?). Also found out they have a lawyer who travels with the crew as well, in case they get in trouble with the local authorities

Shari, I think I forgot to tell you...That picture is AWESOME!!!!

I wondered why I hadn't heard from you!! I thought it was pretty cool! Wait till I post my pics from this past weekend.... we met Ray and Deena, Susan and Patrick, Kelly and Bianca from series 7, along with some of the Survivor 10 cast.

I CANNOT stand the Nascar Jesus Widow and family (although Sammi thinks the boy is cute-must be the blond hair like hers). I think it is freaking hillarious that they make them go to Taladega in next week's show! Even Sam cracked up at that!

Shari "sad the Aiello's got eliminated" Shoufler

Ok, yeah, I didn't want to say it first but it is HILARIOUS that they are going to a speedway next week! Although, it will just make for annoying drama and we'll have to see that family a lot.

I also agree it was sad that the Aiellos are gone, there are so many worse families on that show than them!

I'm with Elissa where I think this is the worst season yet, but I'm still watching it.

Although my attention to it is totally different. In past seasons, this would be one show where I stop everything I'm doing and are glued to the set. This one however, I find mysef "watching it in the background" and only paying attention when something interesting happens.

--Robb "And so far the most interesting thing has been Elissa yelling at the stupid people on the TV!" Alvey

Wow. I am speechless. Not even 5 minutes into this episode and they are off to find the.....

WORLD'S LARGEST OFFICE CHAIR

WTF?!?!?!!?

I mean, this was the show that used to take it's viewers to the pyramids, all ends of the earth and now I'm watching a bunch of stupid, bumbling families on the quest for an OFFICE CHAIR???

Are they SERIOUS????

Wow, I wonder how many viewers they will LOSE after this season. I am just shocked at how bad this is.

--Robb "Time to go watch My Name is Earl" Alvey

"Look kids, it's Lake Ponchartrain, one of the five Great Lakes!"

WTF are they teaching people nowadays?????????

(Granted, though, that lake is bigger now than it was a couple months ago, but still . . .)

-James "Only 21 days to go before we go to Disneyworld" Umbach

Wow. I am speechless. Not even 5 minutes into this episode and they are off to find the.....

WORLD'S LARGEST OFFICE CHAIR

WTF?!?!?!!?

I mean, this was the show that used to take it's viewers to the pyramids, all ends of the earth and now I'm watching a bunch of stupid, bumbling families on the quest for an OFFICE CHAIR???

Are they SERIOUS????

Wow, I wonder how many viewers they will LOSE after this season. I am just shocked at how bad this is.

--Robb "Time to go watch My Name is Earl" Alvey

LMAO when I saw that. Then "The Colonel's Mobile Home Lot."

The kicker for me tonight, you guys didn't even see, probably. Our local programming, with the commercial for a repeat broadcast on Friday of (AND I QUOTE)

"The Emmy Winning Globe-travelling Family Edition of Amazing Race"

:shock: link: :shock:

I mean, did they really have to say GLOBE? That was too much. And now, I have this awful feeling that TAR came to Vancouver (that bridge in the preview looked 'awfully familiar' to us) and I missed them!!! Oh, the tah-radgedy of it tall.

(burp)

What - ever.

(IMO - it isn't really that much fun to watch. period.)

Actually the bike thing had me laughing since we saw one of those at a hotel in Germany and had no clue what it was!!!!

We thought it was for like a 7-assed monkey or something!

Seriously though, the 'challenges' (I can't even call them that since playing blackjack is not a challenge!!!) are so lame!

Let's see what we've done this season:

- Paddle a Boat

- Go Shopping

- Play Blackjack

- Saw a log

- Ride in a centerfuge

- Climb a ladder

- Ask someone for a briefcase

- Build a mini-house

- Drive a jeep

Come on!!!!!!

I think at this point I'm watching it just for the soundbites!

"Col-o-ni-al"

"This is one of the Great Lakes"

"Sucks for the Florida Team"

"You gave me a papercut"

Dave, I can't believe you missed out on this episode!!!

• 1 month later...

The guy who wrote this article is my new best friend!!!! It pretty much sums up this season!

From ew.com

Running Out of Steam

On ''The Amazing Race,'' in a slow episode of geysers and hot-air balloons, a production error leads to another non-elimination by Josh Wolk

GEYSER SO-SO The Linzes didn't seem too impressed by Old Faithful

The November 29th episode of The Amazing Race was the first time I've felt jealous of the family-edition contestants. It was during the Old Faithful ''challenge,'' in which the teams had to wait to see the famous geyser erupt. Oh, how I envied them: They may have sat there bored, but they knew that at the very worst, after 92 minutes they would see something interesting. As a viewer of the show, I sit bored every week, and I have no such guarantee.

Last night's episode was so dull I thought I was watching a parody of the family edition. Let's start with the opening challenge: inflating a balloon so the teams could go for a ride. This part of the show was literally full of hot air. Plus, there was no skill to it. They simply sat with the balloon experts until it was full, and then they went for a predetermined jaunt. And for a sheer lack of adrenaline, what goes more slowly than a balloon? What happens next week — the teams race against each other on those chairs that take old people up stairs?

The rest of the episode was just an extended road trip, interrupted by short bursts of envelope grabbing, railroad-track banging, and horse riding. The producers tried overdoing the pulse-pounding soundtrack to add some tension, but it didn't make the goings-on any less lifeless. My dentist could pipe the theme music from Mission: Impossible into his offices, but it would still just be a balding guy scraping the enamel off my teeth.

At the end of the hour, when I was thinking, ''Well, at the very least, one of these teams will get the boot,'' Phil said the leg of the race wasn't over yet, and it would be continued next week. Is Phil just daring us to delete our TiVo season passes? I really think they don't want anybody to watch. That theory will be confirmed if next week is one hour straight of the teams riding Big Wheels around and around a cul-de-sac.

One thing did gnaw at me, though. The fact that this was the second straight week where a team fell behind because of a production error made me wonder if these last two non-elimination rounds were planned that way. Did they cancel a booting to keep it fair for the inadvertent lollygaggers? The Linzes fell from first to fourth through no fault of their own (their cameraman apparently drained their car battery charging his equipment), and they got no credit for the time lost. If they ended up getting eliminated for that, it would have been a legal disaster, so perhaps the producers decided they had to keep the race going until the Linzes had time to catch up. When the same production screw-up happened to the Godlewskis last week, the episode also ended up as a non-elimination round, which really made no sense: Why would the producers use one of only two yields on an inconsequential leg?

Conspiracy theory aside, the episode was just more of the same. Everybody demonized the Weavers, who in turn demonized everybody; the Linz boys amused themselves with masturbation double entendres and jokes about balls; the Bransen girls attempted to drop-kick their gloomy dad out of his permanent self-loathing funk; and the Godlewskis came ever closer to tearing sis Christine apart as if she were an unpopular kid in Lord of the Flies. I feel bad for that scapegoat sister, but at least if they actually tear her limb from limb, it'll break the monotony. It's no geyser, but it'll have to do.

What do you think? Do you think the producers will ever do another family edition? Are they messing around with the rules to cover their own mistakes? Are you ready to drop out of the race?

I dropped out of this race weeks ago when I realized how much more entertaining Jason Lee playing a dumb hick was!

Hell, maybe that's another reason for Earl's success. Imagine if this was a GOOD season of Amazing Race. Earl would be off the air already!

--Robb "I thank the producers of Amazing Race for giving me Earl!" Alvey

Yeah... this season sucks. I'm sure that the honchos at CBS won't ever make the mistake of doing another crappy Family edition. There is no point to this season. I watched TAR (Amazing Race) to see the amazing places and difficult challenges. Both of these are "eliminated" this season, making for a very boring season. Hopefully we'll get a good season next year. Right now, I'm just watching re-runs from past seasons on GSN.

I don't think anyone likes this season. No one talks about it here, no one talks about it on other boards (where there were usually 10+ page threads about the show), every magazine and online article I've seen about this season has trashed it.

And with good reason: IT SUCKS. They totally screwed up the show with this idiotic family edition, and I cannot imagine them ever trying this again. We're still watching, only because we keep hoping the Jesus family will fall into an active volcano or something.

There have been some moments of amusement, however, like when the family from New Orleans got eliminated because they got lost in an area FIVE MINUTES FROM THEIR HOUSE. Or the Jesus family's amazing knowledge of geography ("I think Pennsylvania is a state"). But for the majority of the show, it has been really bad. I think the best thing I can say about it is that at least for one hour on the CBS schedule, it's not another version of CSI...

dt

Sorry, I stand behind the fact that we (Sammi and me) are still totally entertained by this addition, however, as I have noted before #1) We were new to TAR with the last (Rob and Ambah, Susan and Patrick Vaughn) season and #2) we are geeks.

That said, however, I must agree that these "production errors" seem totally unfair and very poor planning on a production being filmed by names as big as CBS and Jerry Bruckheimer.

We are hanging in there and hoping for a victory by our hometown kids, the Linzs!!

Shari "hate the Weavers more we ever hated any reality TV contestants" Shoufler

• 2 months later...

SEASON #9 TONIGHT

Just thought I'd bump-a-bump this thread up, so we'll be off and running, once the show is over tonight?

Back to basics, with new cities, new exotics, and new pairs of peeps -

Stay tooned.......