TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Proslide Rocket Vs. Master Blaster?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever been n one, myself, and that was KEntucky Kingdom's Deluge back in 2007's Midwest trip, but if I recall correctly (and to be fair, I might not) Robb, Elissa, and the rest of the tripgoers I talked to about this felt that it was definitely better than the alternative kinds out there.

There are huge differences in those two type of rides.

The master blaster have become more powerful in recent years, but it's still pretty "slow" uphill compared to the new magnetic technology.

On the other hand, the blasters have much more of a water slide feeling, compared to the magnetic ones.

There's no real answer to which one is better, as they are so different, personally I would like parks to offer both, but if I really had to chose I would totally go with the magnetic one.

Whitewater have just started building LIM driven rides, and it will probably only be a question of time before Polin and the German manufacturers also start offer them.

Having ridden all three types within a fairly short timeframe, I must say my favorite was Black Anaconda (conveyor belt). I though Wildebeest and Mammoth were very good (magnetic), but I was a bit disappointed by the Master Blaster types (Master Blaster, Dragon's Revenge, and whatever the one is at Schlitterbahn Kansas City).

While the Master Blaster rides definitely get you wettest, the uphill acceleration is really slow. It's like you stall out & then wait for the water to build up enough pressure to push you over the top, and then when it does, you get this huge wave of water that just crashes over your shoulders. Of the 3 Master-Blaster-type rides I've ridden, I preferred Dragon's Revenge because it had a more complex layout didn't feel like it was over in 5 seconds.

The magnetic types delivered a better ride experience than the Master Blasters, but the biggest problem with them was that I felt like I never really got all that wet. I would have preferred some more water or splashing or whatnot given that they are water rides. I still felt like it took a second for you to start accelerating up the hills, but the acceleration was much better than the Master Blasters. The layouts were much more engaging as well.

My favorite, though was Black Anaconda. I loved the zip that the conveyor belts gave. I felt that there was no delay with the uphill acceleration--as soon as you hit the conveyor belt, you were going at full speed. It was an engaging slide with a great layout and a ton of speed. And you actually got wet.

(That being said, I rode another conveyor-belt style water coaster at a small indoor resort that I could have ridden in street clothes because I never go so much as splashed.)

Really enjoy these rides, especially when you aren't expecting one at a park. My preference:

1. ProSlide HydroMAGNETIC Rockets

2. Masterblasters

3. ProSlide Rockets (w/ conveyor belts)

Please explain the difference between number 1 and number 3?

It really depends on what you want out of the ride. I've only been on one of each of the three types. While I loved the airtime on Wildebeest, It didn't feel much like a waterslide. The master blaster got you soaked, which I loved.

The conveyer was my least favorite of the three.

Really enjoy these rides, especially when you aren't expecting one at a park. My preference:

1. ProSlide HydroMAGNETIC Rockets

2. Masterblasters

3. ProSlide Rockets (w/ conveyor belts)

Please explain the difference between number 1 and number 3?

Number 3 used high speed belts to move rafts uphill, but since they started using LIMs they've effectively stopped selling them.

4:44 in this video shows the one at Noahs Ark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj0qTOGipoY

It really depends on what you want out of the ride. I've only been on one of each of the three types. While I loved the airtime on Wildebeest, It didn't feel much like a waterslide. The master blaster got you soaked, which I loved.

The conveyer was my least favorite of the three.

Really?... U get airtime on the new rockets?... That's amazing!.... Ride the old concatenation belt rocket at great wolf lodge, as I said above, and other than the first drop off the platform, it want as intense ask thought it would be.

My favorite has to be ProSlide's Rockets. Smoother surface throughout the entire flume, and has more of a roller coaster feel compared to most other slides. Plus, the Mammoth Rocket at Holiday World has an enormous amount of water drenching you the entire trip, more so than Master Blasters and ProSlide's regular Rockets! It doesn't feel as natural though since you feel a small tug when moving uphill (except for Mammoth).

The Master Blasters are great fun too depending on the slide. I'm not a big fan of how the slit for water to blast riders uphill forces them to lift their butts. I DO like the very fast double-down slides at both Aquaventure parks, because they're followed by a long uphill blast section thanks to the speed, and you can do it with a one-person inner tube!

Number 3 used high speed belts to move rafts uphill, but since they started using LIMs they've effectively stopped selling them.

4:44 in this video shows the one at Noahs Ark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj0qTOGipoY

Thank you for the clarification!

Are there many of these around? Except the ones at Noah's Ark and New England?

^WhiteWater West did some. I tried the Zip Coaster at Kalahari Resort, and that ride's pretty intense. Launches straight out of the station and over the first hill giving near-ejector airtime! It's not as good as the others though, due to the abrupt stop at the end.

I've only been on one of each type, so my opinion may be slightly skewed, but I would rank them:

1. Hydromagnetic Rocket (Wildebeest at Holiday World's Splashin' Safari): This ride are outstanding, and I assume many of the others are nearly as good. Better airtime than a lot of roller coasters and I love not having to climb a tower to ride. I do wish they felt more like a normal water slide, however, and although it is one of the best water park attractions out there I'd have a hard time justifying a 60+ minute wait for one of these (Tornados are still my favorite water slides, but 45 minutes is about my max for any waterpark attraction).

2. Master Blaster (Rendezvous Run at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay): This was my first experience with a water coaster, and while the ride is short it was a lot of fun. The Master Blaster slides aren't as intense as the Hydromagnetic Rockets, but they do feel more like a water slide and less like a roller coaster. I have a feeling that I would rank a very good Master Blaster over a Hydromagnetic Rocket just because they feel more like waterpark attractions, but a good but not great Master Blaster comes up a little short.

3. Conveyor Belt Rocket (Typhoon at SFNE's Hurricane Harbor): As a ride, this is probably better than Rendezvous Run, but I really didn't like the jerks created by the conveyor belts. At the bottom of each hill, there would be a jerk as the raft would slow down for a split second and then be yanked forward by the conveyor belt. It may be because I rode this less than a week after riding Wildebeest, but while I enjoyed the ride I wasn't crazy about it and only rode twice despite having an hour of ERT.

Put me down for the Proslide Rockets. I very much enjoy the freedom you have with just sitting in a raft, and in combo with the air time you get is amazing! If you're looking for intensity when it comes to a water ride, you've pretty much got it with Proslide.

I am curious as to which ones are easier to maintain. Is it easier dealing with the magnets, or the mechanical wear and tare of belts and other moving parts?

Thank you for the clarification!

Are there many of these around? Except the ones at Noah's Ark and New England?

Whitewater West makes/made a version too called a Zip Coaster (They pioneered the concept)

There's one at Chula Vista in the Dells, and I think one of the Great Wolf lodges has one too.

^WhiteWater West did some. I tried the Zip Coaster at Kalahari Resort, and that ride's pretty intense. Launches straight out of the station and over the first hill giving near-ejector airtime! It's not as good as the others though, due to the abrupt stop at the end.

That looks intense!

Put me down for the Proslide Rockets. I very much enjoy the freedom you have with just sitting in a raft, and in combo with the air time you get is amazing! If you're looking for intensity when it comes to a water ride, you've pretty much got it with Proslide.

I am curious as to which ones are easier to maintain. Is it easier dealing with the magnets, or the mechanical wear and tare of belts and other moving parts?

Wow, I'm very surprised to hear how intense these rides are. Personally, the only real "intense " waterslides I've ridden have to be the multiple-drop speed slides, which can give amazing airtime, and the skybox trap door slides, which are just nuts... And also really awesome! Also heard great things about Proslide's tornado, but for some reason thry don't look all that intense to me. Still wana ride one someday though.

How intense you'd say the rockets are compaired w/ the rides I just mentioned?

I've ridden one of each type.

Hydromagnetic Rocket (Wildebeest @ Holiday World) - Definitely my favorite of the three types. Good airtime, lots of soaking action, and just an overall fantastic water slide. I loved it.

Conveyor Belt Rocket (Typhoon @ SFNE's Hurricane Harbor) - Didn't seem quite as fast as Wildebeest nor did it get me too wet.

Master Blaster (Master Blaster @ Schlitterbahn) - Like others said, this seemed to struggle going uphill. I thought I was going to roll back or stop at the top on a couple of the hills.

I've only been on three of these types of slides: Crush 'n' Gusher, Niagara River Run (Great Wolf Lodge Canada), and Typhoon (Six Flags New England). I loved how Crush 'n' Gusher used the water jets as propulsion. It was so much faster and thrilling. Meanwhile, the other two used conveyor belts and the uphill portions honestly didn't do much for me other than setting up the next drop, as they seemed a bit slow in my opinion.

I've rode two HydroMagnetics, both at Holiday World. Wildebeast definitely is the ultimate thrill. Depending on how much weight you have and where you have it distributed, you can get some OMFG airtime, especially in the back. Mammoth is completely different. This ride is just pure fun and you will get absolutely SOAKED. One of my favorite things about the ride is being able to face all your friends and going backwards down the 45 degree drops.

I've unfortunately never been able to ride the other two and hope I get to someday.

1. HydroMagnetic Rockets are by far the superior type. Wildebeest at Holiday World is just about the most perfect water slide. You get plenty of airtime, the ride is pretty long, and you don't have to climb a slide tower. If you are ever greeted with the opportunity to ride it alone, be sure to take the front seat, as the airtime up there when you're alone is a religious experience. Mammoth is a great runner up, and although it is bigger and faster, it lacks the mega airtime Wildebeest offers.

2. Whitewater Zip Coaster. The one at Kalahari in Ohio is really fun with a really intense "launch" from the loading station.

3. Master Blaster. I have been on the one at Kalahari in the Dells, Magic Waters in Illinois as well as Crush n Gusher. I don't find any of these to be terribly exciting, although they maintain the water slide identity better than the other two.