TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2013 - Be part of Team TPR!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just signed up for Canada's Wonderland, this is my first time and I am really excited!

Here is the link to my website:

https://www.firstgiving.com:443/fundraiser/BennerMullin/CanadasWonderland2013

For anyone who has done this before, how exactly does it work, are there seats reserved for the people participating on each car, or do we get a front of the line pass on that specific ride?

Hoping for Behemoth or Leviathan!

This morning I'm going to write about our Founder, Henri Landwirth. When talking with supporters or giving tours of the Village, I always touch on Henri's past-- but truthfully it isn't something I go in-depth about a whole lot. Even though it's difficult, I feel compelled to share a little bit more than usual about Henri's story with you all, because it's truly inspiring and powerful.

Henri knows all too well what it is like to give up his childhood. Between the ages of 13 and 18, he spent his years in concentration camps, including Aushwitz and Mauthausen. He and his family, including his parents and his twin sister Margot, were separated almost immediately upon becoming prisoners at the start of the war. Both of his parents were killed, but remarkably Henri and Margot survived and later reunited.

Henri's last moments in the camps were gut-wrenching as he was taken out of his cellar by a soldier. He knew enough German to have no trouble understanding that the guards ordered the soldiers to take him and two other prisoners into the woods to be shot. Here's an excerpt from Henri's book, Gift of Life, about the day he escaped:

One of the greatest miracles of my life took place at this forest's edge on the way to my execution. One of the soldiers look troubled by the fact that he was going to have to shoot us. The soldier turned to his comrades and said, "The war is almost over. I don't want to kill these people." The other soldiers shrugged their soldiers. They didn't seem to want to kill us either. The soldier turned to us and said, "Line up over there facing the trees. I'm not going to shoot you. When I raise my gun, run into the woods."

There's no question that his horrific childhood could've resulted in a very bitter and resentful man. But, he turned it around and ultimately has ended up giving kids what was taken from him. Like Henri, the deserving children that GKTW serves have been robbed of their childhood, but when they're on their wish trips they get the chance to simply enjoy being a kid...they get their childhood back.

Henri is about to celebrate his 86th birthday on March 7, which coincides with our Founder's Day. Each year, Henri and Margot come to the Village to spend time with the families. The event is very private and low key, and each year I just sit there in awe as I watch him interact with the children, much of the time acting like a kid himself. He poses for photos and autographs books for the families, and every so often I catch a glimpse of his faded personal identification number tattooed by the Nazis on his left forearm. Thank you, Henri, for creating this amazing place!

Henri.jpg.44f76ffa6d5ccba37083c9e41589422a.jpg

Henri Landwirth, Founder of Give Kids The World

Just signed up for Canada's Wonderland, this is my first time and I am really excited!

For anyone who has done this before, how exactly does it work, are there seats reserved for the people participating on each car, or do we get a front of the line pass on that specific ride?

Last year, we had a train reserved for us on Behemoth. We took whatever seat we wanted, then the GP would fill in the remaining seats.

Okay, y'all. I'll be emailing those who have registered with this info as well, but let me post here first--

We just created a Fundraising Tools page where you can download resources to help you with your fundraising. My personal favorite are the thank you graphics. The intended purpose with these is for you to post them on your donor's Facebook walls (or tag them on instagram or twitter, or email them) after they contribute to your page. I did this last year just on a personal level and I swear some people donated just so I would post the graphic on their wall for all their friends to see. Good luck!

Parents gave me a yes on this! Waiting for my friend to get the same answer, and we'll both be set for Cedar Point. Also got a kid on my floor at my school very interested in Dorney Park. He should be signing up soon himself! Extremely excited to get rolling on this.

Awesome work so far by everyone! And kudos to everyone on Dorney's Team TPR.....another 25 bucks and we will hit $1,000 raised as a team already!!

Keep up the great work folks! I can only imagine how much Team TPR will raise overall by the time June rolls around!

Also, kudos to Kara for the touching stories and the awesome Fundraising Tools page! I definitely plan on using some of that stuff. The thank you graphics are a tremendous idea!!

Last year, we had a train reserved for us on Behemoth. We took whatever seat we wanted, then the GP would fill in the remaining seats.

Thanks for the info! It can't come soon enough for me, looking forward to it!

Canada's Wonderland info has been posted on www.coastingforkids.org!

Happy Valentine's Day/Singles Awareness Day/Commercialized Holiday!

Valentine(266).JPG.3a47f30c40c32e4c0a9528de133acd39.JPG

Each year on February 14 we host a special breakfast for our volunteers, or "Angels" as we call them. Our volunteers range from young to old, local to international and come from all walks of life-- each donating their time for a different reason. The Village relies heavily on our army of Angels, with more than 50,000 in our system. Each week they fill between 1,400 and 1,500 shifts on property doing everything from serving meals to checking in families to stuffing envelopes.

Last April we celebrated having more than 2 million volunteer hours on record. We're thought to be the largest volunteer effort at a single location (Red Cross, for example, utilizes their volunteers in thousands of locations). Assuming minimum wage, this translates to a savings of over $40 million in labor costs over the past 26 years!

We have a visiting volunteer program for those TPR'ers who want to spend some time giving back on their next Orlando vacation. Shifts last about 4 hours and can be scheduled in either the morning, afternoon, or evening. Please fill out our volunteer application at least a month in advance of your trip to help us fill open shifts.

XOXO