TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Studio (TPS) Discussion Thread

Personally, I wish more games would take this approach and get fans involved earlier.

That's just the curse of Early Access.

I've already gotten bored of Kerbal Space Program. Games can only be replayed so many times before people lose interest, and sure I payed my money for it so you could call me a sucker for it, but it's still not a finished game.

Early access models can be better than this one was.

Take GTAV for example.

The singleplayer was playable fully from the start, and the multiplayer was promised a couple weeks later. They delivered, everybody was happy.

Besides, during their Kickstarter campaign they didn't mention that it was going to be a third of a game at launch. I just read through their older updates during May of last year when I backed it up and nothing showed up.

I'd love to be proven wrong and shown where they said this on their Kickstarter feed last year, but I really can't find it. Only in the email I got a couple days ago.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^To answer your last point, sometime in November, so 4 months before the release we currently have in our hands, they said that a finished beta was beeing pushed-back and that it would only be an "early edition" still in developpement with basic features only. Of course for right now it's not much more than a scenery builder, but I can already see the upcoming features beeing added and increasing the game experience. Personnally I was so excited and looking forward to playing TPS that I don't mind the third-of-the-game release.

For those of you who don't think you have received your steam key and are using gmail make sure to check your promotions tab; that is where my email containing the steam key was.

Or just simply search "Theme Park Studio Steam Key" and it should come right up.

I know the keys were sent to whatever the email address was that is registered to you on Kickstarter, so it's either in your inbox, your spam folder, or floating around some email black hole somewhere.

I have played around with the early access for a few hours today and I have to say that it has the potential to be amazing. They might have only released some of the modules, but the amount of detail in them is astounding. The custom scenery tool allows for so much creativity. I can't wait to see the finished project and all of the crazy parks that everyone here will create.

Will this game also get a "proper" release so you can download/buy it boxed at Amazon or local stores? I know - I am an old-fashioned guy...

I also hope that it's a proper boxed version that I can just pop in, install and play.

I will say, though, that I do hope the game does get running smoothly, as my laptop can run No Limits as a manageable fame rate, but is having problems getting TPS to run at above 18 FPS, even in a park with not much in it, and no moving objects.

Also, the controls are a bit tight , and as someone who plays No Limits 1 and RCT3, they are a bit unusual, and may take some more getting used to.

However, there are still many great options in this game, and it does have he potential to be one of the greatest coaster simulators out there, but I just hope my computer is powerful enough to handle it. (Like I said above, it can run NL1, one of the most powerful simulators on the market)

Is there, or will there be section here for custom content on TPS?

Yup! I think once the game gets a bit more "complete" we'll add it to the game exchange. But for now, please feel free to post about the game in the games forum.

I haven't played around with the game too much, I've had to work far too much so I haven't had the time yet. What I've seen looks promising.

I am still not used to the controls. I wish that when you closed a window you'd go into a select mode. I've added far more trees and had paths that went off into infinity than I could count. But then again, I haven't played with it long so I may be missing something. Scratch that, I KNOW Iam missing a lot

I've been playing the game for the last 2 hours. I am finally getting the hang of everything available. I love that you make multiple trash cans on the path ways. I'm on my way to making a Cedar Fair park.

Come on... I'm sure there's enough space between the trash can to add at least another in every space currently left empty !

Just played around with it a little. I love how you can do custom textures on objects, after using it in the sims 3, Ive felt that was a feature that could make RCT far better. Edge scrolling would be a really nice aspect to have though.

Edge scrolling would be a really nice aspect to have though.

I second this, the W-A-S-D keys controls are a little counterintuitive for past RCT3 users. Love the game, tough. Just feel that giving the player the option between edge scrolling (rct3 players) and w-a-s-d (minecraft users and other games) would be a nice thing to add. Feature request someone ?

Hi, new user here - this thread encouraged me to sign up as just bought TPS on steam

Also wanted to take the chance to agree with everyone that has noticed this isn't really a 'game' at all!! A game has to have at least one objective or measure of success, TPS has none, and I really don't expect it ever will have. There is some agreement from Pantera that economics would be a nice idea and a potential future direction... But realistically getting economics threaded through all aspects of the game and then getting the balance right (something that arguably RCT3 never even managed) is probably beyond the scope of their resources. And for that reason, I kinda hope they don't go down that route, even though in theory it would make the 'perfect' game if it was done properly.

I prefer to think of this as a toy, not a game. In the same way a huge tub of random Lego pieces is not a game, as you can't complete it. But you can build anything you can think of. And I can't wait for the ride animation, coasters etc etc to be unlocked so I can build the sort of parks I always held back from attempting in RCT3.

Having said all the above, there is one feature I am hoping for to add at least a small measure of success. I'd love to see some method of evaluating the ride experience of roller coasters (and flat rides too!). This at least gives players a reason to be genuinely proud of their creations. In RCT3 you knew you had cracked it if a coaster looked like fun to ride, but also rated sky high for excitement with low nausea and intensity. Without at least these basic markers of good design practice, things are a little too 'free' for me. I sorta want to know I'm challenged to design a unique ride whilst also working within the limitations of what people may actually enjoy riding!

Now available for Theme Park Studio Early Access. These basic shapes will help extend the family of the Primitives which come with the program. Add material, colorize, rotate, scale and stack to bring these to life.

Special thanks to CoasterFreak for the awesome dark mystic skybox!

Download Directly Here

or

Download at Trackworx

Unzip, and simply put the Jcat's Shapeworx folder in your custom/buildSet1 folder.

Where is that folder?

*C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Theme Park Studio\Custom\Build Sets\BuildSet1

*substitute C with whatever drive your Steam Client and/or Theme Park Studio is on.

If Theme Park Studio running, close it down and restart so the custom scenery will show up. Now that you're back to Theme Park Studio - you can find this set by simply going in to your custom Build Set 1 folder and click on the tiny CS icon. Drop down that small menu, select JCat's Shapeworx and you're good to go!

^Wow, that's better than anything i've been able to do so far! How much time did it take you?

Not very long... not sure I could say at this point with all the time I've spent contemplating things or just taking screenshots... A couple evening's worth of gameplay would get you there. I've done and redone a few things. Learned a lot about the program during this construction. This was the first park I committed to. I had a pretty good handle on the program before I started, though.