TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Credit Cards

Twister II

Just thought I would throw this out there; what type of credit cards do you have and use? What do you like about them? Any credit card you like over the other? What type of 'rewards' have you gotten from using your credit cards?

The reason I ask this is because I am continually receiving offers from Amex Gold. I really don't know much about the company or if it would be the worth the $125 annual fee! I currently have 3 other credit cards: Bank of America, Discover Student Card (only for emergencies), and State Farm Student Visa (only for emergencies).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you asked, I've spent way too much time researching credit cards..

Here's what's in my wallet

Visa/Mastercard

MERRILL+ - I'm not sure you can even apply for this credit card anymore, but it features a locked 5.15% APR, a decent rewards program, no foreign transaction fees, and no annual fee. Plus elevated Visa Signature Benefits. Great card for transacations that you may need to pay over time. https://www.rewards.ml.com/RWDapp/ml/merrillplus

Chase Sapphire - This is the most "modern" card I have..Interest rate is poor at 15.24%, but it has a great rewards program. with double points on travel & dining (great for tpr members).. Annual fee is waived the first year. no foreign transaction fees (another tpr friendly feature). Good point transfer programs. and the card is made of actual metal, which will impress about 1 person a year. https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/

Speaking of metal cards.

Amex

Amex Business Centurion- When I was younger I thought it would be a great idea to place all of my business expenses on a card so I could get the coveted "black card".. with a current initiation fee of $5000.00 and $1000-2500 in annual fees this card is a complete waste of money. Benefits include everything an amex platinum card has as well as invitations to things you won't want to go to. Around Christmas and the holidays you'll typically get a $500.00 gift certificate to a designer store.. Sadly, most of the places don't sell the hoodies and shorts I like to wear. so----

Amex Personal Platinum- This is a great "pay in full each month" card.. The annual fee is $495. which again is stupidly expensive, but a frequent traveler can "game" the system and save huge money at deluxe resorts.. As an example; Whenever we go to Universal Orlando we can typically stay at the Portofino for half the going rate and get free upgrades to suites thanks to the "fine hotels program".. You'll also get free entry into all of the rental car programs and many frequent flyer status programs.. It's worth the money if you can spend some time figuring out how to beat the system. http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Platinum-Card

Charge Amex-

Starwood- Arguably the most flexible rewards cards for transferring points to and from frequent traveler/flyer programs. I'd elaborate, but this post is getting too long.. http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Starwood-Preferred/25330?intsearchct=curated

Jet Blue Card- Because I'm stupid and don't have a delta platinum card http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Platinum-Delta-Skymiles

Happy to help anyone out there with any random credit card questions. Best advice- Do your research before applying for anything

Also, what are the CC numbers, the pins, your SSN, date of birth, name of your childhood pet, street you grew up on....

I have Disney Visa (Free picture and no interest offers on some vacations), Southwest Visa (got a free flight), and Target Visa (5% off, and I need it to use my wife's employee discount), and Capitol One MasterCard (Best exchange rate for foreign travel.

I have a CIBC dividend dollar VISA that's completely paid off and gives me money back depending on my balances. I rarely use this card now.

I also have a BMO Air Miles card that I use for everything now to collect Air Miles points. I paid an entire year of engineering tuition on this once to get a ton of them (I had the money to pay that off right away).

I'm thinking of giving card churning a try now to get some free flight points. I don't want to go crazy like other's I've read about doing 5-6 cards at a time, but maybe 1-2 to see how it goes.

I have Disney Visa (Free picture and no interest offers on some vacations.

Which picture do you have on your card? I have the premium card that is $49 a year but earns points faster. My card has Mickey Sorcerer on it and my wife's has Tinkerbell.

I love the Disney Visa card and have earned thousands of Disney dollars over the years. I know there are better cards out there that get you more back back but I have had the card since Day 1 and it says that on the card. It also has Charter Member on it which I think is kind of cool.

I have a Bank of America Visa also. Don't use it much except when I travel internationally. I'm using it less now that they started to charge transaction fees. The only reason I keep it is because it was the first credit card I got some 35 years ago and I still have accounts at B of A.

Not really concerned about interest rates on any card because I never carry a balance on them. Haven't since the interest became non-deductale years ago.

Funny that I just saw this today.

I love my AMEX Business Platinum Card and it was reaffirmed today when I called in. The card expires over the 'offseason' when I'm normally doing all of my contracts and deposits. In the past this has been annoying cause I then have to remember or have the company I'm doing business with call me cause the card didn't work cause it will all of a sudden be expired or have a new expiration date. So I had the idea to call and see if I could get a new one sent out with a new expiration date before it expired this Winter. The answer was no problem, same account number, and it will be delivered tomorrow so there's no interruption of service!!

Oh, and it gets me in all the airline lounges!

AMEX certainly isn't for everyone, but I love the service and perks we've received from them over the last seven years.

I also have a Discover card, and they're my favorite for turning your reward points into gift cards. Many major brands give you $100 e gift cards (can use them instantly) for $80 in reward points. Great deal!

I have been debating getting a new card now to get a nice rewards card. I pay off my card monthly, and while I'd love to receive these benefits, I probably only put $15-20k per year on my card... so I really don't know if its worth it. I have a Chase card now and have considered upgrading to Sapphire, or going for a solid AMEX.. hm

When I was traveling more, I had the Delta Reserve AMEX. It was absolutely worth the $350 membership fee. Not only did it get me 10000 MQM after my first purchase, you get bonus miles for booking on Delta.com and free skyclub access for you and a guest.

I also have an AMEX blue and an AMEX gold, plus a paypal mastercard for ebay stuff.

I have Disney Visa (Free picture and no interest offers on some vacations.

Which picture do you have on your card?

I have the standard Mickey. The sorcerer Mickey is tempting me though!

I also have a Discover card, and they're my favorite for turning your reward points into gift cards. Many major brands give you $100 e gift cards (can use them instantly) for $80 in reward points. Great deal!

They also have a few good double your rewards offers. I loved it when they had Livelob at double the value. I was killing quite a few lobsters during that promotion!

I figured this would be a great place to put it, but for those of you who own credit cards that you get miles, you may want to check this site out. It's tricks how to get the most out of it, and ways to earn more toward free trips. I have a suntrust debit card and I was able to get enough for 2 tix to Italy in half a year, plus another 30k miles to use in the future. http://thepointsguy.com/ (click on beginners guide to start)

Also http://www.flyertalk.com has great tips.

• 2 weeks later...

I have:

1. Chase Disney Visa card - I have it just because its Disney. I was pissed when the little mermaid was discontinued as a design.

2. Citi Hilton Honors card - as much as I have spent and I see no benefits.

3. Discover - probably my favorite card. Gets you 5% off at Six Flags parks. Also, actually do see the benefits from it if you sign up for the quarterly incentives.

4. Best Buy - I love that all you need to is spend under $500 and they give you so many months to pay it off with no interest.

5. Merchant's Tire/National Tire Brand - Where I get all my car tires. They give you a year to pay it off no interest if you spend a certain amount of money on it.

6. PayPal Business Debit Mastercard - Love that I can use my PayPal money without having to transfer it to any other accounts.

• 2 months later...

Over the Holidays I got an REI visa. I went in to make a $40 purchase and ended up signing up for their credit card. I got a $100 gift card in the mail and %5 back on purchase in the store.

The only Credit cards I have are my Corporate AmEx card and an AmEx gold card that we use only for travel and emergencies only. Everything else is strictly out of our checking account. If we don't have the $$ in our account to pay for it, we don't buy it. Even our Target card is the Target Debit card. You get the same 5% off without having to pay any interest.