TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2012 - Be part of Team TPR!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A HUGE thank you to Matt (attack7). That was a wonderful surprise to get a random donation from a TPR member to start my fundraising. I've been so busy at work the last week and a half that I haven't had a chance to really get started. This week will start my email and phone call blitz to everyone I know.

My son is also going to be Coasting for Kids, if someone could add him to the list for Worlds of Fun team TPR, his page is www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/erichpatton/worldsoffun.

Thanks again Matt you have made my day!!!!!!

Ron "Humbled by the fact that there are still amazing and selfless people in this crazy world" Patton

I'm on board and looking forward to riding the Racer at Kings Island for Team TPR and Coasting for Kids!

Welcome to the Kings Island team and I look forward to meeting you on the 10th.... its a good thing the racer is one of my fav coasters.

Sorry, guys! I'm balancing a lot right now, but so look forward to coming on here each day to share a little piece of GKTW with you. Three photos today, to make up for falling behind.

To finish up the Park of Dreams tangent I was on, check out our awesome ship stage at night:

Serendipity.JPG.4c28de54e526f7c676d83e8749de6e55.JPG

The ship, Serendipity, was a wonderful gift to GKTW from Creative Environs, who specializes in theming work for amusement parks, museums, zoos, etc. The stage has a ramp for accessibility, and the movie screen "sail" rolls up when not in use. Serendipity truly completes the Park of Dreams area and is home to many memorable Village events.

The relationship with Environs came about through IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions). IAAPA has been a longstanding partner of GKTW, which I'll elaborate on over the next few days. You may be surprised how much GKTW is tied in with the coaster community!

What's a train station without a train? Zamperla, the rides manufacturer we all know and love, donated JJ's Express,the train that circles Amberville Train Station, as well as the RR Crossing lights and arms. Like the carousel, JJ's features a car specially-designed for wheelchair-bound riders.

zamperla2.JPG.52a19c61d8b7c5f4c4a5339d05ce3ce3.JPG

A couple of years ago, Zamperla also donated two of these ride-on characters-- one sits outside the House of Hearts, and the other outside Amberville.

zamperla.jpg.bbfb975e33768c396c7454f727d7c90f.jpg

You probably would never guess that a simple car like this would be so popular with the kids...but I'm telling you, they love it! You'd be hard-pressed to walk by and not see one of the ride-ons in use.

This is one of those "Yes" moments I referred to a couple of weeks ago-- parents may be used to having their kids ask if they can ride one of these when they go to the grocery store or mall, and have some sort of parental auto-response like "maybe later." Just like everything else at GKTW, these are completely free...so, when a child asks their parent if they can ride one at the Village...you can just see Mom or Dad about to auto-respond but then pause, smile and say "go for it!"

In a storybook world, even trash cans talk.

I love paper! Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme some PAPER!

This silly chant comes from Auguste the Clown, a paper gobbler on the Avenue of Angels. Yes, even a trash can has kids laughing their heads off. The kids just LOVE feeding him, and I often see them scouring the Avenue and the bushes to find something to give him. Auguste is located right outside our offices, so I've learned to carry a few pieces of scrap paper with me at all times. The curious kids try to figure out how it works and where the paper goes, whereas the shy ones watch from a safe distance. When they "feed" him the paper, their eyes light up in amazement, followed by giggles and a hunt for more paper to give him. It's really adorable.

GimmePaper.thumb.jpg.ba05691b905e8d0aca8bfdbb9062e16e.jpg

Auguste has a friend, Trunkie the Elephant located by Julie's Safari Theatre. Both of these unique trash cans were donated in 1995 from Efteling, the theme park in the Netherlands, and have been causing laughter ever since.

Thanks for the signature banner, Robb! Mike, I'm looking forward to my first Coasting For Kids event. The Racer is one of my favorites too; been riding it since Kings Island's opening weekend in 1972. Looks like you are in Louisville, my hometown. My first coaster was the Comet at the old Fontaine Ferry Park in Louisville. Now my son (cinciDAWGS12) and I love to roam the country riding coasters. Here is a picture of us during our first ride on Diamondback at media preview day in 2009 - in the red shirts about six rows from the back. Great coaster!

DiamondbackM-29.thumb.jpg.a71f76460ec414f740c60a23c6469143.jpg

Thanks for the signature banner, Robb! Mike, I'm looking forward to my first Coasting For Kids event. The Racer is one of my favorites too; been riding it since Kings Island's opening weekend in 1972. Looks like you are in Louisville, my hometown. My first coaster was the Comet at the old Fontaine Ferry Park in Louisville. Now my son (cinciDAWGS12) and I love to roam the country riding coasters. Here is a picture of us during our first ride on Diamondback at media preview day in 2009 - in the red shirts about six rows from the back. Great coaster!

That is awesome, it will be my first Coasting for Kids event and my first TPR event also. I haven't been to Kings Island since around 2000 so I'm hoping to get a ride in on a couple of the new coasters that have been installed since my last visit after the event and before the last rites on Beast. I'm stoked about that too I've never had a chance to ride beast at night like I've been wanting to. I've almost made a full circle. I was born in Cincy and lived there till I was 10 and then moved to Indiana. I grew up there and got married in Indiana then got transferred to Louisville for work so I'm thinking in another 10 years or so it might be time to close the circle.

That is awesome, it will be my first Coasting for Kids event and my first TPR event also. I haven't been to Kings Island since around 2000 so I'm hoping to get a ride in on a couple of the new coasters that have been installed since my last visit after the event and before the last rites on Beast. I'm stoked about that too I've never had a chance to ride beast at night like I've been wanting to. I've almost made a full circle. I was born in Cincy and lived there till I was 10 and then moved to Indiana. I grew up there and got married in Indiana then got transferred to Louisville for work so I'm thinking in another 10 years or so it might be time to close the circle.

There are very few things as cool as the Beast at night. Long-time KI season pass holder, and I always end my visits on the Beast before closing. You will love it!

Just had to share this emotional family letter--

Our family was changed forever when our beautiful four year old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. Hearing the words, "Your child has cancer" is a moment in time my husband and I will never forget. Our world was flipped upside down and we didn't know if there would ever be something to celebrate again. We were so wrong! There was joy and happiness all around, we just needed to find it again–and we did, at Give Kids The World.

The Village was like nothing we had ever experienced. Amelia, or Miss Millie as we call her, was the happiest we had ever seen her, which was quite a contrast to how she had felt during the worst of her treatment. We were able to hear her contagious giggle as she spent private one-on-one time with her favorite princess Belle while riding the carousel. We watched her get a mischievous, yet darling look on her face as she gobbled up ice cream for breakfast. We were able to witness a complete change in her countenance when she was at the pool splashing around freely and being a kid again.

My family has never felt as overwhelmed by the love of strangers as we did when we were staying at Give Kids The World. We are eternally grateful for what they did for our family and for our sweet Millie.

Just days after Millie finished over two years of chemotherapy, we learned that she had already relapsed. She is currently in the hospital fighting for her life all over again. Words cannot describe how grateful we are as parents, during this frightening time, that we have such wonderful memories to cherish. Give Kids The World treated Millie like the princess she is and we can’t wait to come visit and have ice cream for breakfast as soon as she defeats cancer for a second time.

Amelia’s Mom

Utah

Millie.jpg.4c3f6e041c4acf56ee547e50c942f41a.jpg

*tear*

And that letter demonstrates exactly why I'm doing this. It's not about raising the most money for prizes, or getting to ride a coaster for six hours. For me it's to make sure that Give Kids the World can continue providing their extraordinary services!

That story is something of beauty... Really makes me feel like I can make a difference in a child's life by participating in this, and what a great feeling.

---$100 mark: Two $15 donations go to random people who have supported me.

--$150 mark: Detailed report of X-flight at SFGAm. (Review, photos, and possibly a video)

--$200 mark: I will post a photoTR of the Coasting for Kids event at Michigans Adventure.

I currently have raised $158. Yep, I'll have a X-Flight report coming to you all next month!

Now it's time to aim for my next milestone, help me out guys!

[Clicky to donate. Wild giraffes will eat the young if you do not donate!]