TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planned but Cancelled

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Goliath at SFoG was planned for years. At one point it was thought that we would get a Tony Hawk coaster where Dare Devil Dive now is. But, other than that... there's very few rides that never made it into SFoG that I'm aware of. Sally desperately wants to add one of their dark rides there.

There was a theme park proposed for Israel, Neverland by Michael Jackson (Goddard did the designs... fantastic work) and then, of course... DUBAILAND. Probably the biggest failure in all theme park history. USDubai had started construction when the project fell through... right now it is a big, shaped hole in the desert with some abandoned offices.

Six Flags Great America was going to build a Mr. Freeze clone, but due to all the problems from the rides at SFSTL and SFoT, Camp Cartoon was built on the site instead.

Also at Six Flags Great America, there were plans to build an entertainment area featuring hotels, retail, a water park, and possibly corporate offices across the Tri-State Tollway. I've heard that the reason this was never built was due to the park not getting permission to link the entertainment district to the main park and/or Six Flags would have had to pay for road improvements in the area.

Both are correct as for the Entertainment/Office Center... Part of the reason I think they partnered with Key Lime Cove AFTER they built their resort...

^^Every time I go to Darien Lake I look across the street and see Batman the Escape rusting away in that lot. At this point the is no hope of it ever being built.

That's how Shockwave @ SFGAm was after it was taken down.... Sat mainly on the hills surrounding the employee lot until they scrapped it....

There was so many stuff rumored for the park, including like even some Giovanolas (maybe Titan before it was given to SFOT?).

Interesting thread! Would love to see some layouts, etc that never came to be!

There was also the Shockwave rumor from SFGAM going to SFFT before the rumor of it going to SFNO.

I really hope the Rattler gets the NTAG treatment, no other wooden coaster deserves it more than the Rattler!!!

I remember when they were trying to send SW somewhere... Sad to know it got scrapped...

You could argue that Busch's Worlds of Discovery which was to open in Dubai had some of the most lavish announcement and planning put into a park, that never happened...

On a visit in May to Florida i was asked to do a survey upon leaving Busch, the attendant was quite knowledgeable about all the US Busch/Seaworld Parks & we chatted a bit.

She asked near the end of our conversation if i had plans to ever visit Buschs park in Dubai, surely it was on par or better than their park, she wondered.

I answered, if its ever built, maybe.

She was stunned it wasnt open! LOL

^

I Thought it was gonna be for Great America and Use the Pictorium Building?

Maybe that's the Proposed "Soundwave" Coaster

I am curious to know what you were referring to...

If my memory serves me correct i think it was a FOF clone themed to MTV with music playing and things like that.

I don't remember which one it was but when both Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye had their bios published many years ago, one of them I can recall had mentioned that in the late 1970's during the heyday of the Bakker's Heritage USA, Jim & Tammy had planned on taking over Carowinds and make that park a part of the Jim Bakker empire since Carowinds was located just down the road from Heritage USA.

No doubt that back in the 70's the Bakkers had enough of cash to buy Carowinds but I believe this a dream of the Bakkers...but then again who knows only that "Jim & Tammy presents Carowinds" never did become a reality.

The Alton Towers woodie. I would have loved to see this. It was going to be in the valley and have a 200 foot drop or something like that.

Completely agree on this. Once again, the dang locals got involved, which typically falls in their favor. Seriously, if you don't like living near an amusement park, MOVE. Here are some plans for the ride.

woodie.jpg.571c9c7ec5d402e8b9a4788248aacf63.jpg

plan4.jpg.23c71d304b884298f5e857dcaa7cb1c8.jpg

plan6.jpg.f35367d9f1f5f5144ccf34836fa3362d.jpg

I don't remember which one it was but when both Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye had their bios published many years ago, one of them I can recall had mentioned that in the late 1970's during the heyday of the Bakker's Heritage USA, Jim & Tammy had planned on taking over Carowinds and make that park a part of the Jim Bakker empire since Carowinds was located just down the road from Heritage USA.

No doubt that back in the 70's the Bakkers had enough of cash to buy Carowinds but I believe this a dream of the Bakkers...but then again who knows only that "Jim & Tammy presents Carowinds" never did become a reality.

Although they might have tried for CaroWinds- they did succeed in building (Albeit with some serious difficulties) Heritate, U.S.A. in Fort Mill- a long defunct waterpark with a train loop and go Karts. The property itself was abandoned after PTL went bankrupt in the early 90s- as a result of tax and security fraud.

There are some GREAT pics of Heritage U.S.A. HERE including some of the proposed rides, shows and attractions that the park would have featured- had it survived.

More pictures are HERE of the park in it's decay-

The former owners of Michigan's Adventure (the Jourden family) had planned on building a 210ft hypercoaster in the early 2000s, and even had a height ordinance exemption for the ride, but the Cedar Fair buy-out stopped it. It was referenced in an m-live article in 2001, but the article is no longer live on the internet.

Edited by shivtim

Six Flags Great America was going to build a Mr. Freeze clone, but due to all the problems from the rides at SFSTL and SFoT, Camp Cartoon was built on the site instead.

Hmm, I've had a differen't story about that. I've read that SFGAm was originally going to get a Mr. Freeze clone, but they couldnt get permission to built it in that spot, so, Mr. Freeze was sent to SFSTL, and Raging Bull wich was planned for SFSTL, was brought to GAm instead. SFSTL even started making RB merch..

That's interesting, because at Texas Giant Bash the president of SFoT said Mr.Freeze was specifically designed for SFStL's island. That's why it's shaped like a "paperclip" instead of the original linear plan. Maybe the linear design was for SFGAm?

Kennywood's Pastime building (the tall one near the Racer that has the laser show projected on it) was originally built to have a dark ride on the second floor much like Ghostwood (then the Gold Rusher).

Even though the Exterminator was eventually realized in 1999, it had been planned for almost a decade prior and was originally going to use what is now Idlewild's mouse.

There are some GREAT pics of Heritage U.S.A. HERE including some of the proposed rides, shows and attractions that the park would have featured- had it survived.

What a great site with tons of images! Thanks for posting the links! I saw ads for Heritage years ago but never visited the place. I've been over there in more recent years but little evidence of the waterpark still exists. Buildings and grounds are being used for other ministries currently... so some renovation seems to have taken place, but a long way to go for complete restoration... or replacement. I always remember photos of people riding the speed slide(s). There's a famous image of Jerry Falwell riding it in a suit because of a promise he'd made. It's a photo I'm sure tons of people have seen, or that has been linked to many times, but can be found HERE. (edit: haha... that image, probably inspired by some aqua-geist ...j/k..., has become my avatar for the time.) Anyway, thanks again for the link post... great defunct park photo TR.

Back on topic... the proposed Disney project up in Northern VA would have been pretty interesting. I'm going to botch any details about it so I'll let this link fill in some specifics. Sometime in 2003-2006 span the Boy Scouts acquired the land that was originally going to facilitate the Disney park. The "National Capital Area Council" of the BSA turned it into a summer and activities camp/reservation. I wonder what Disney could have done with the place?

Edited by theGrayZone

The original owners of White Water in Atlanta announced and even began clearing land for a second White Water on the Northeast side of Atlanta of I-85. For about a year, several pieces of blue water slides sat on a hill. Nothing ever came out of it requiring everyone on the east side of the ATL to head over to where White Water is.