TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planned but Cancelled

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember, waaaaaayyy back in 2010... SFMM announced Mr. Six Dance Coaster.

It never happened, but the ride does exist today. Although land was cleared by Deja Vu (and I believe some footers were prepped), what was supposed to be MR. SIX in Cyclone Bay stands in Bugs Bunny World as Roadrunner Express.

Discovery Bay at Disneyland back in the mid 70s.

I remember! It was even promoted at the park via a mock up in a window of the Main Street Emporium (or nearby). Do you know why it got the axe?

Discovery Bay at Disneyland back in the mid 70s.

I remember! It was even promoted at the park via a mock up in a window of the Main Street Emporium (or nearby). Do you know why it got the axe?

Here's a site that has pretty much every Disney proposed attraction, it has a full article on why it wasn't built:

http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyland/discoverybay.php

Oh, Disneyland...so full of great ideas that never made it...or ended up at other parks...

Remember Tomorrowland 2055?

http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyland/plectusfantasticintergalacticrevue.php

Or what about "Port Disney" in Long Beach (which later became DisneySea in Tokyo)

http://progresscityusa.com/2009/04/29/neverworlds-bicentennial-special-port-disney/

Turbulence at HersheyPark. Thing looked pretty pointless, anyway.

Mentioned in the first post of this thread.

There was a whole score of attractions/rides that were planned for Epcot and never got built, including a ride for the Germany and Japan pavilions.

jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2006/06/06/2772.aspx

The one that I'm most saddened about was the proposed CCI woodie for Bell's amusement park close to where I live. The park and locals fought over it for years and years, with Bell's proposing at one point to enclose something like 75% of the ride in a big shed, which would have been interesting. The ride would have kicked off a new era for the park, with a slight retheme of the park and a huge selection of new rides following it.

The park actually did get approval to build a new wooden coaster in 2006, the year they closed. The ride would have been a much smaller, compact twister on the other side of Zingo on top of the old mini-golf course and part of the car ride. I think TGG was going to design it. The fact that the park was suddenly denied permission to renew their lease raised suspicions that someone (The Murphy's, owners of the adjacent fair and water park) didn't want Bell's to expand and grow popular again. The Murphy's, after all, where some of the biggest financial supporters of the politicians responsible for kicking Bell's out.

NPN had a great article about it: http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2010/03/blast-from-past-cci-at-bells-amusement.html

I was going to talk about the Bell's coaster too. I actually have a few renderings of proposed new rides tucked away somewhere that one of the maintenance guys gave me when I worked there. The name they tossed around for the ride was Rolling Thunder. The enclosed coaster was a really awesome concept actually. It was going to have two large buildings and underground tunnels that the track would dive into as it went from one building to the other and back. Any track that went outside the footprint of the buildings would have been enclosed in tunnels as well. There were also some pretty simple CCI out and back designs that would have run parallel to Zingo. The final design that did pass approval was indeed a Gravity Group design and the layout was released at one point. I'm digging for it right now but can't seem to find anything.

Back in late 1999/early 2000 SFA got approval from the county for several years rides, which at the time included a stand-up coaster, ferris wheel, and an indoor coaster (rumored to just be the park's old Python Arrow shuttle loop indoors).

While never officially announced, there was also all the Astroworld rides that ended up at other parks; Ultra Twister to SFA, SLC to Great Escape (now at La Ronde), and Batman: The Escape to Darien Lake, and whatever that deal was with CGAs Shuttle Loop ending up in the parking lot at Discovery Kingdom for several years.

Also IOA was supposed to get a jeep ride in Jurassic Park where Hogwarts now resides, and the ill-fated Unusual Driving Machines in Seuss Landing which was changed over to the Trolley.

Oh, and DelGrosso's planned on rebuilding the Arrow Loop Screw from Libertyland but still hasn't done anything with it, other than supposedly putting it up for sale again.

I was going to talk about the Bell's coaster too. I actually have a few renderings of proposed new rides tucked away somewhere that one of the maintenance guys gave me when I worked there. The name they tossed around for the ride was Rolling Thunder. The enclosed coaster was a really awesome concept actually. It was going to have two large buildings and underground tunnels that the track would dive into as it went from one building to the other and back. Any track that went outside the footprint of the buildings would have been enclosed in tunnels as well. There were also some pretty simple CCI out and back designs that would have run parallel to Zingo. The final design that did pass approval was indeed a Gravity Group design and the layout was released at one point. I'm digging for it right now but can't seem to find anything.

Oh man, you've got to post some of that someday, I'd LOVE to see those.